Ret PvP viable?????? How is 5.4 looking????,

90 Gnome Rogue
I have 2 90 Pallys but everytime I ding 90 I just reroll another class. Plus I lvled 1-90 as holy. I was curious as to how viable and fun ret is in competitive PvP. I mainly play rogue (not this one I have 2 90 rogues as well) and find that I force them to bubble in 5 secs max usually.

I love being able to heal as a Dps spec so this is why I'm leaning pally.

Even if they aren't OP that's fine just as long as they aren't trash and are somewhat fun to play.

Any opinions?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ret scales with gear, get the best gear and you'll be fine.

Our synergies work well with specific classes. And next patch it opens us up to a few more comps since we gain fear.

And now most importantly our new glyph that heals us when we bubble based on how many debuffs we have.

If you are good at your class, it's fun. If you are awful and don't utilize all your abilities or have experience in pvp. Don't expect to go anywhere.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rets are definitely in a good spot right now, at least in my opinion. I've been having so much fun lately in arenas and I'm not even fully geared. Take time to learn the class and don't give up on it early on. Trust me it's worth it in the end :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Ret is amazing right now, and will only get better in 5.4

Top 3s team is ret/hunt/disc at the moment.

Or at least it is a lot of the time, #2 right now.
Edited by Nuclea on 7/10/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good burst damage with cooldowns
Good utility with Hand of Freedom, Protection, Sacrifice(removes magic debuffs)
Decent CC with Hammer of Justice, Repentance, Blinding Light
Decent off heals

I've only arena'd as Ret for one day... (for points, not rating). Started with very little pvp gear, and it was a decent amount of fun once we both got conquest weapons. Pretty straight forward strat, run in blow cools, kill something while throwing some CC on the off target, heal as needed, 2v1 the last guy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret is still great for 3s, and 2s for capping. I don't RBG often so not sure about RBGs.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret can go with just about any comp next season because of the wide options for cc... we have baseline stun and blind, we can spec into incap and fear if the other players in our comp lack that school of cc, and our burst is kind of outrageous... to say the least :) Also, rets are valuable for support. Bop, freedom, sac, and pretty crazy off heals are never a bad thing to have. Today in 3s I healed my partner with a selfless healer proc for an 184k crit while my healer was cc'd
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Other than crappy survivability atm ret is great. Some of the survivability issues get slightly better next patch. Outside of arenas if you decide to do random bgs or RBG's after the next patch don't expect to stand a chance against ranged classes unless they are total baddies. With the loss of BoG you have no ways to catch up to a smart ranged player.
Edited by Frelikk on 7/12/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Best class in game 5.4
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
really? lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It won't be top-tier next patch, but it'll be all right.

Ret paladin viability right now is mostly determined by hunter/disc being as strong as it is. That's taking a nerf next patch. It'll probably be ret's best comp again next season, but it won't be as good as now.

With hunters taking these nerfs and ilevel rising high, wizards will probably be supreme. Ret has an extremely difficult time against wizards, so if you want to play it, partner with classes that help against wizards.

I plan on playing ret/ele/restodruid for fun.
Edited by Caedwyn on 7/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You killed Nitoryu.
Your Templar's Verdict hit Nitoryu 227588 Holy. (56239 Overkill) (Critical)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To be honest, I've never seen Ret in as good a place, or as fun, as they've been recently. Not talking about the OPness of Wrath Rets just murdering things in 3 globals - they're "decent" and that's where they should be. Medium damage with periods of incredible burst, strong heals if used right. Needs to be played right in order to succeed.

5.4 is giving rets Inquisition that lasts 1 minute, which I personally don't think is needed, but it makes some people happy.

Say what you will about MoP, anyone, but IMHO they did a crazy good job on Rets.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Rets deserve some time in the spotlight, that's for sure. BUT HOLY JEEBUS that burst is uncalled for. We're talking s11 legendary dagger, heroic vial rogue type damage. Blizz buffed the wrong thing. Rets need more sustained, their burst was already really good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Your Melee hit Natalief-Garona 82242 Physical. (Critical)
Your Templar's Verdict hit Natalief-Garona 214057 Physical. (Critical)
Your Seal of Truth hit Natalief-Garona 8311 Holy.
You killed Natalief-Garona.
Your Hand of Light hit Natalief-Garona 31070 Holy. (83414 Overkill)

1 global btw
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I was in SotA a bit ago and did 2.6m damage, destroyed 7 demolishers and had 14 KB (topped out of everyone in all 3) so I'd like to say Ret is doing fine as long as you're competent. Don't forget we're gear dependent too. Once you get the gear, and learn Ret you'll be completely unstoppable. I was hitting those demo's for over 300k in burst.

Sure these may just be randoms, but given the chance in any other case or scenario I will pull my weight and then some. I really HOPE that Ret is viable in RBG's next patch. I want to prove myself useful.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I was in SotA a bit ago and did 2.6m damage, destroyed 7 demolishers and had 14 KB (topped out of everyone in all 3) so I'd like to say Ret is doing fine as long as you're competent. Don't forget we're gear dependent too. Once you get the gear, and learn Ret you'll be completely unstoppable. I was hitting those demo's for over 300k in burst.

Sure these may just be randoms, but given the chance in any other case or scenario I will pull my weight and then some. I really HOPE that Ret is viable in RBG's next patch. I want to prove myself useful.

Ret does fine in RBGS it's all about finding a group and utilizing all your skills well.

Groups just want to cheese RBGS for rating through doing things like 3 affliction lock groups.
Edited by Ritalynn on 7/15/2013 6:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You will be a random BG superstar probably topping KB charts.

But...

I am still unsure why so many paladins are accepting the Burden of Guild change as if it was no big matter. My whole Paladin PvP style revolves around Sanctified Wrath and Burden of Guilt kiting. Seal swapping every 8 secs with a global cooldown? Seriously?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

But...

I am still unsure why so many paladins are accepting the Burden of Guild change as if it was no big matter. My whole Paladin PvP style revolves around Sanctified Wrath and Burden of Guilt kiting. Seal swapping every 8 secs with a global cooldown? Seriously?

Who seal swaps??
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You wi

But...

Who seal swaps??

You will be with the removal of BoG. Enjoy
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]