Change Breed Stat Distribution.

100 Night Elf Druid
I know it has been discussed many times, but not consolidated into a specific thread. One of the major problems with the game right now are breeds leaning heavily in favor of one stat end up as far superior and get better total stat output.

I believe if we are going to get a game with more options and diversity among player choices, we need to get Blizzard to give an advantage to even stat distributions to counter the general advantages of stacking a single stat.

This is the breakdown I have proposed on a few threads in the past, but want to bring it to a single thread discussion:

The breed distributions need to be something similar to what follows:

PP/HH/SS: 100% bonus of the 65(or 325) of that stat. Same as current.

HP/HS/PS: 55% bonus of the 65(35/35 or 178/35) of the stat. Up from 45%/45%(29/29 or 146/29).

HB/PB/SB: 55% bonus of the dominant stat and 30% bonus to the secondary stats(96/35/19 or 178/19/19). Up from 45%/20%/20%(146/13/13 or 65/29/13).

BB: 40% bonus to all stats (130/26/26). Up from 25% to all(81/16/16).

This will make a huge difference to diversity in PvP as people experiment with different types of breeds. This will also make many pets severely restricted by their breeds more viable as any breed has potential advantages. This would be the *best* change to the game that you could make at this very moment, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
UE
I'm always for more diversity, but this just seems like a tall order for this xpac.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm always for more diversity, but this just seems like a tall order for this xpac.

I really don't think it would be that difficult. All they would have to do is change the programming in the breeds and the additions would take care of themselves. I think it would be an easy change to implement.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
UE
07/09/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Yijiao

I really don't think it would be that difficult. All they would have to do is change the programming in the breeds and the additions would take care of themselves. I think it would be an easy change to implement.
Oh yah it would be easy to implement. I was speaking of making sure it was balanced.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Oh yah it would be easy to implement. I was speaking of making sure it was balanced.

Not to mention the joys of having to potentially having to release and reattain different breeds, relevel it due to it no longer having the right stat allotment.

I do however agree this would have been a much more elegant starting point. Perhaps just a buff to he b/ /b b/b stat allotment so it doesn't seem to be so punished would be somewhat less messy with less ramifications across the board.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Well, the total stat distribution would be closer this way than it is now.

For example, the terrible special pets that all seem to be 1400/260/260 with balanced build end up being 1481/276/276 which I call the dreaded statblock of doom.

Instead, these pets would be 1530/286/286, which is more respectable. It might have a hope of competing with something like 1400/325/260 or similar builds.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Many of the pets that only come in certain breeds are made that way for a reason.

Their movesets may be great, but their stat distribution keeps them from being *too* great.

Pretty much working as intended.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood, you're just trying to beef up the mixed builds. I have no problem w/ that, as they already suffer from getting less total stat budget than the SS/PP/HH breeds for some reason.

Carry on. : )
Edited by Triggers on 7/9/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Many of the pets that only come in certain breeds are made that way for a reason.

Their movesets may be great, but their stat distribution keeps them from being *too* great.

Pretty much working as intended.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood, you're just trying to beef up the mixed builds. I have no problem w/ that, as they already suffer from getting less total stat budget than the SS/PP/HH breeds for some reason.

Carry on. : )

Yeah. My point was that there are very few of those pets that are pvp viable. In fact, the snowman is relatively viable due to his racial and having a useful weather effect. I still believe he would be one of the best pets if he had other breeds. I am not suggesting that.

Inherently, there is a single stat that is the most advantageous depending on what you want a pet to do in battle. There needs to be an advantage to breeds that are balanced to counter this bonus. I think it is probably that way in almost any other game that I have seen. Certainly, I have never seen it the way it is here.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
No matter how you do it, I'd think that specialized breeds are generally always going to be more desirable than balanced ones. At this point, many people just say that whatever isn't "the best" is "garbage", so even if the difference were smaller, you'd essentially get much of the same thing going on.

And they really shouldn't mess with the breeds at this point. A lot of people have taken time to find certain breeds of certain pets to do certain things, and changing things around like that could easily invalidate the work that they put into them, which isn't fun. Worse, it really doesn't provide much more than a negligible benefit. So it would be doing something harmful for no particular good reason.

There needs to be an advantage to breeds that are balanced to counter this bonus

Focusing on the stat you want the most will always be the most advantageous if you're caring about that sort of thing. There's not really any way to change that, so its best not to mess with something that all ready works in an effort to try.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Focusing on the stat you want the most will always be the most advantageous if you're caring about that sort of thing. There's not really any way to change that, so its best not to mess with something that all ready works in an effort to try.

While this is true b/b is still currently getting less total stats than all others and that just doesn't seem quite right.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/09/2013 08:49 PMPosted by Hearus

While this is true b/b is still currently getting less total stats than all others and that just doesn't seem quite right.

Precisely. To me, the more balanced you are, the more total stat bonus you should have, not the other way around.

Right now it goes 100%, 90%, 85%, 75% scaling down. I think it should be scaling up, which is why I recommended 100%, 110%, 115%, 120%.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
As a comparison, Blizzard uses the "more balanced you are, the more total stat bonus you should have" in every Diablo game and also in all other aspects of WoW.

For example, items with two stats will always have a greater stat total than an item with one stat. Items with three stats will always have a greater stat total than an item with two stats (this is part of what makes the legendary/epic ilvl 600 cloak so OP).

I have no idea why they decided to take this backwards approach for pet balancing, but it really makes a large portion of otherwise cool pets relatively useless.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
The thing about the stats is, while there are three, only two are interesting.

Everyone wants power. Power is desirable in every pet, and very desirable at that.

The question really comes down to speed versus health. Which is better... well it depends on the pet.

I think they need to make the power more even across the board, or make speed and health more attractive relative to power (speed especially).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
The thing about the stats is, while there are three, only two are interesting.

Everyone wants power. Power is desirable in every pet, and very desirable at that.

The question really comes down to speed versus health. Which is better... well it depends on the pet.

I think they need to make the power more even across the board, or make speed and health more attractive relative to power (speed especially).

All three main stats are good for different pets. The problem lies with if it is available something that has p/ h/ s/ or /p /h /s will always trump anything that has b/ b/ b/ or /b /b /b.

I have no idea why they decided to take this backwards approach for pet balancing, but it really makes a large portion of otherwise cool pets relatively useless.

Indeed. And like you said, not normally how they do things either. It is really just odd.
Edited by Hearus on 7/9/2013 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Yeah. My point was that there are very few of those pets that are pvp viable. In fact, the snowman is relatively viable due to his racial and having a useful weather effect. I still believe he would be one of the best pets if he had other breeds. I am not suggesting that.

i don't wanna face against snowman with 325 speed. I sincerely don't.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/10/2013 01:38 AMPosted by Tangla

i don't wanna face against snowman with 325 speed. I sincerely don't.

The thought is terrifying, isn't it? That is why I just want to buff the balanced breeds. For things that have excessive speed, say like a rabbit, it might be worth experimenting with different types of builds. Flyers as well.

With the amount of variance relative to base, I think we would see more diversity and less cookie-cutter team success. That is what we should want at this point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]