New Appreciation for Healers

90 Pandaren Priest
I have primarily focused on being a damage dealer during my time in WoW, but I wanted to understand what other roles have to deal with. Healed my first dungeon last night and I guess I have a few observations/questions.

1. Around what level will mana management become important?

2. How do I deal with "That Guy" who tried to tank off the tank? He ran away from the group and when he died, decided to attack me about my poor healing.

3. I'm kind of lost on whether I should stay Holy, or switch to Disc.

Overall I really enjoyed my first experience aside from the one jerk, but I want to make sure that I am as well informed as possible so I don't ruin the game for anyone else. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thought it may be a little early in the process, I do believe that I have a new level of appreciation for those of you who do this full-time.

(I have read the stickies and I am in the process of working my way through most of the existing threads. I just wanted to initiate some conversation as it related to my experience)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Edited by Wilough on 7/10/2013 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

You will need to switch your healing priority through the levels i.e. when you only have flash heal and shield well that is what you have to use, somewhere around 60 if you are still only using those two spells you will start to go oom.

Using your spells correctly, mana becomes something you need to pay attention too somewhere around cata.

2. How do I deal with "That Guy" who tried to tank off the tank? He ran away from the group and when he died, decided to attack me about my poor healing.

Confidence, which is just time in the saddle. Brushing off the rant gets easier when you have watched the same mistake 100 times and you know if you chase down stupid to heal him it will wipe the party.

Also, you will get better at pulling a group through a series of mistakes by just healing more.
07/10/2013 06:12 AMPosted by Wilough

Both are great. You can get great damage and healing out of both of them while leveling. It is a playstyle choice more than anything. I would give both a try somewhere in the 60s when you get enough of your toolkit to get a feel of how they work. They are similar at level 17.
I want to make sure that I am as well informed as possible

http://howtopriest.com is great resource.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The spell "Heal" is pretty useless. Don't rack your brain too hard trying to figure out how to use it properly.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk

Typically around 80-85. Some of the Cata dungeons allow the party fail in pretty spectacular ways that will test both your throughput and mana management.

I hate that guy.

If he runs away from you there's not much you can really do here until you get life grip much later on. If you want to try and save him edge as far as you can and toss instants on him if no one in the main group needs attention. Honestly though if it really wants to to go splat I'd say let him.

A dps gets agro? What should happen is he runs to the tank, uses any threat reduction abilities if he has any, any damage reduction abilities if he has any, and then pray the tanks picks the mob off of him.

What does happen? He runs around like the headless chicken he is making the tank try to chase him down and just annoy everyone.

Did I mention I hate that guy?

It's personal preference really. Disc once you get atonement (level 38) might feel more familiar to a dps especially at low levels but there's nothing wrong with Holy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Thanks for the reply, checking out the resource you provided. I will toy with both specs as you suggested and see what fits for me. Healing at this point seems fun, but we'll see I suppose.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Go check out howtopriest.com

Both specs are good. I haven't leveled one up for a long time, but Holy in chastise chakra has some decent DPS, as does Disc.

Disc can be a little more fun while leveling since especially at your level, generally PW:S + Renew is all you'll be doing. I am leveling up another druid around your level, and I'm rarely doing anything but a renew, then spamming wrath and moonfire.

As far as dealing with stupid DPS or stupid tanks, or both, that's the true test of being a healer. If the DPS just makes an honest mistake, no worries. If they are constantly trying to pull agro or pull groups and the tank doesn't pick them up, I may decide to let the dps die. I do this, because at times as a tank, I'll intentionally not pick up another group that someone decided to pull.

Remember, your priority always is Tank, yourself, and then DPS. I don't leave my tank, ever. If the DPS runs off, they know where to find me...by the tank. As a tank, I always make sure my healer is with me.

Sometimes though, you'll just get a group that isn't worth saving. Then the trick is to know when just to call in a day and leave the group. While I'm not a fan of this and rant against cross realm random 5 mans as a result, its easier than ever to just leave and find a new group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

It generally becomes an issue around level 83. But that is also going to depend on the competency of your parties. I have been run OOM before at lower levels by parties that were...shall we say...pants on head. :-\

You warn him once that if he keeps pulling, you won't heal him. Then you stop healing him and stick to the tank like a burr.

You should try both and see which one you like the best. Disc starts getting more of its "unique tools" at around level 40. Holy takes a while longer to pick up Chakra, if I remember correctly. If I were you, I'd stick with Holy until level 30, then get dual specs and make the other spec Disc so you can try it out, too.

Overall I really enjoyed my first experience aside from the one jerk, but I want to make sure that I am as well informed as possible so I don't ruin the game for anyone else. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thought it may be a little early in the process, I do believe that I have a new level of appreciation for those of you who do this full-time.

Dispels are important, but have a CD. You'll need to prioritize using them if more than one person has a debuff.

Using a set of raid frames that lets you tweak how buffs and debuffs are displayed will probably help you out quite a bit.

Trying out mouseover macros or a click-to-cast addon early in your healing career will likely make for smoother sailing later. Remember that any time you are changing how you do something in the game, there will be a lag time as you commit the new way of doing things to "muscle memory." Don't give up!

Also, welcome to healing!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

My resto shaman is 64 I believe and I haven't had any mana issues. It's been so long since I leveled a healer, but I do remember in Cata, it started creeping up around 82-84.

When you aren't geared, you let him die. When you are geared, you're happy about it because otherwise the dungeon is boring as hell.

Try them both out. Both are fine. Just play the one you enjoy the most.

You're going to have jerks. It's just the way it is. It sucks, but just don't let it deter you from healing. A lot of healing is trial and error. If you have friends/guildies to help you run through most of the stuff, it's easier.

Otherwise, just dispel the really bad stuff (there's a lot of stuff I don't bother with if it's just a 2-3 second debuff), keep your head up if someone dies, and just keep at it. It's pretty fun.
Edited by Dijital on 7/10/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Welcome!

Not likely until sometime into Cata levels, unless you find yourself in a *spectactulalry* awful group. Like, *really* spectacularly awful. However, you'll also find as you get into BC dungeons that things *occasionally* get hairy as DKs start hitting 5mans. Those fresh DKs often have next to zero idea how to play a DK as they exit the DK starting area, and usually have also never tanked on any other toon before too, so they *can* make things a little... interesting for healers at that level.

Additionally, be aware that healing specs *often* change every patch. While this usually only affects the class at/near max level, occasionally the changes Blizz made do affect lower level healing a bit too. It's worth mentioning that you should come check out what's going on with your priest after a patch in case there's something you need to know ;)

My advice is to beat "That Guy" to the punch.

What I mean is when you zone in, before the first pull, tell the group "Hey guys, I'm going to be sticking like glue to the tank. Keep up with the tank, because if you're out of range or out of line of sight, I won't be able to heal you!"

Then it's on That Guy's own head if he goes off to do his own thing. *Refuse* to leave the tank, no matter what.

Either is perfectly viable for leveling as well as for end game (I'm a Disc priest at heart; have one that I still get to raid on occasionally, as well as a number that I'm leveling on different realms)

Both can contribute some dps to the group when healing requirements are minimal; the difference is that with Disc, you're always *healing* while you're dps'ing so can mean you aren't as likely to be slow on the uptake if people start taking damage. Until you hit Cata, there will actually be very few circumstances where you actually have to *heal* beyond dps'ing-to-heal, as Disc (once you get Atonement anyway).

If you stay true to this statement, you will already be one of the better healers out there. A considerable part of being a "good" healer is staying up-to-date with how healing changes from level to level and from patch to patch. Once you're in the habit of *staying* up-to-date with the class you've chosen, the rest falls into place with practice.

A last very important point to make is that no matter how low-level you are, and no matter what class of healer you choose to play, start using your cooldowns as soon as you get them. It'll be very difficult to start remembering to use them later. They may not be needed for all the times you get a decent group, but use them every run anyway. Archangel, Pain Suppression, PW:B, talents like Power Infusion and Void Shift... USE THEM or you'll never develop the muscle memory & the instinct to hit the button when the sh!t hits the fan.

Have fun, and never hesitate to ask more questions!
Edited by Ellarix on 7/10/2013 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Respec disc and spam smite until level 65 or so. Easiest healer to level by far. Top dps and healing in every run. Even questing with pure smite and HF is really simple.

Mana don't come into play until level 83 or so. Ignore angry people.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Respec disc and spam smite until level 65 or so. Easiest healer to level by far. Top dps and healing in every run. Even questing with pure smite and HF is really simple.

Mana don't come into play until level 83 or so. Ignore angry people.

You don't get Atonement until about level 40. *patpats*
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oh yeah level 38. Been awhile. But do remember smiting my way to victory while leveling. Think i used PW:S 3 times in 20 levels >.<
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Oh yeah level 38. Been awhile. But do remember smiting my way to victory while leveling. Think i used PW:S 3 times in 20 levels >.<

Back in Cata, you could talent for Atonement far earlier. Was bummed they pushed it back to 38.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Back in Cata, you could talent for Atonement far earlier. Was bummed they pushed it back to 38.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/10/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Prideth

Confidence, which is just time in the saddle. Brushing off the rant gets easier when you have watched the same mistake 100 times and you know if you chase down stupid to heal him it will wipe the party.

Also, you will get better at pulling a group through a series of mistakes by just healing more.

^^ This. Your skin will thicken after a while.

Plus, after healing a while you will realize that "That Guy" is probably draining an excessive amount of your mana at the expense of the tank and the rest of your party. You'll be happier when you accept that you can't prevent all deaths and look at your role as directing your mana/healing to the targets most likely to result in a successful outcome. If a DPS runs off on his/her own or can't get out of the fire, don't waste your time healing him/her.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]