How do I look: Prot.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Anything I am doing wrong? I am about to start trying to tank in lfr and want to not suck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
your loot spec is set to prot.
set it to ret. win.
Edited by Bobbydigital on 7/9/2013 10:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
How do I look

You look like you got dressed in the dark so nothing matches...

But seriously:

Looks OK, but you could do a lot of tweaking to get more out of that gear. I personally wouldn't skip so many of the socket bonuses.

For instance using haste/hit hybrid gems in blue sockets (helm) instead of pure stam gem, and use them in chest also.

You have the runspeed boot enchant, but it doesn't stack with Pursuit of Justice talent, so either change the talent, or change the enchant to haste (assuming you want a haste build).

Don't forget there's a 170 expertise enchant for gloves so you can use that to shuffle around stats as needed also

With your current equipped gear, here's a list of what I would personally do to it item by item:

Weapon: remove reforge
Shield: reforge parry->expertise
Helm: replace the meta with an Austere Primal Diamond, replace stam gem with Lightning Wild Jade (haste/hit), reforge parry-> expertise
Neck: reforge parry->expertise
Shoulder: replace gem with Wicked Vermilion Onyx (expertise/haste)
Back: leave it alone
Chest: replace gems with Lightning Wild Jade (haste/hit), reforge dodge->expertise
Bracers: reforge parry->haste
Gloves: replace gem with Wicked Vermilion Onyx (expertise/haste), change enchant to 170 expertise (Superior Expertise)
Waist: change your belt buckle gem to a Quick Sun's Radiance (haste), reforge dodge->expertise
Legs: replace gem with Wicked Vermilion Onyx (expertise/haste), reforge dodge->expertise
Boots: replace pandaren's step with 175 Haste (Greater Haste), reforge parry->haste
Ring1: leave it alone
Ring2: reforge parry->expertise
Trinket1: leave it alone
Trinket2: Replace the hit cogwheel with the haste cogwheel (Rigid Tinker's Gear)

That's a lot of changes, and I may have missed something (hopefully not) but what I am getting at is that by shuffling stats around (and actually going for the bonuses if possible), you can squeeze more out of your gear.

With the changes I proposed, you'd gain 381 stamina (from meta and getting a missed socket bonus), 1.61% haste, 1072 armor (from meta), and you'd lose like 1% parry and gain a very tiny amount of dodge.

At the minimum I'd fix your meta gem, and change your boot chant since it doesn't stack with Pursuit of Justice.

Prot paladins really love haste. There's one caveat with that, you have to actually maintain good uptime on your active mitigation with a haste build, but if you can do that, haste is currently an awesome stat for prot. As the person before me mentioned about ret, this means there's a lot of ret gear you can use.

I'd look for gear with haste, mastery, hit, and expertise. Dodge and parry are OK, but they probably aren't what you'd really want to be going after, and if at all possible only grab the ones that have like hit/dodge rather than double avoidance stats. Crit is nearly worthless, but occasionally there will be an item with a lot of haste that has crit, and it may be worthwhile to use (and reforge the crit of course).

And always, significant ilevel differences can indeed make what may be a worse itemized item better than a much lower ilevel item with more ideal stats. Often the reverse is true though for less significant gaps in ilevel.
Edited by Bravehearth on 7/9/2013 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Wow, good post Bravehearth, you put a lot of work into that. :-D

Although I do have to add:

You have the runspeed boot enchant, but it doesn't stack with Pursuit of Justice talent, so either change the talent, or change the enchant to haste (assuming you want a haste build).

You will see a lot of progression Prot Paladins who continue to use the Pandaren's Step movement speed enchant on their boots while still using PoJ for most fights (that absolutely includes myself) because there are just some fights where we can't take PoJ. Right now I'm working on Heroic Lei Shen and I need Speed of Light for that, but I am not going to be moving at a passive 100% speed rather than 108% just for some silly stats.

I completely agree with your logic though, if you're not doing progression bosses that would require swapping out of Pursuit of Justice. For LFR toons, just use the haste to boots and stick with Pursuit of Justice and don't worry about it!

But um, I think the overall picture Bravehearth is pointing out is that gemming Expertise/Hit and then reforging Haste is the same thing as gemming Haste and reforging into Expertise/Hit. In that scenario, you might as well hit every single socket bonus because they're just free stats. It's just something to keep in mind for the future.

Another thing: Your glyphs are less than ideal. Consecrate is a huge pain to glyph, so don't bother. Hammer of the Righteous is not a very useful glyph either, even if you're responsible for the Weakened Blows debuff on a single target, subbing it in for Crusader Strike once per 30 seconds rather than 45 is not a big deal.

I absolutely would make room for Battle Healer for one of those slots. The other would likely be Divine Protection for a defensive glyph, although you could certainly go with something like Final Wrath if you'd rather just do more DPS. Up to you.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
488ilvl get your butt into ToT and start getting loot!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ooh, wrong place to ask that question, kid. Still, what's done is done. Let's see what we've got...

Hm, going for a haste build. Well, wouldn't be my first choice, but if you can make it work, have it -you'll only get better with better gear. :) You could probably swap out that hit enchant on your cloak and still have the cap (or close enough to it), but otherwise looks like you've done well given what gear you have.

The Consecration and Hammer of Justice glyphs are kind of a waste. Glyphed Consecration IS a pain to use IMO, and with a haste build you should have even less trouble than I do keeping the damage reduction debuff up. Battle Healer's a popular choice for haste builds, and I personally dig the Avenging Wrath buff for some bonus health, but those are just my recommendations. Try out a couple of different ones, see what you like.

Otherwise, looks like you're good to go for now. Obviously once you gear up a bit more, you can replace those expertise gems with Haste, Mastery, whatever suits you best. 'til then, good luck out there! Hope the haste works out for you, and if not, don't despair! There are other options. Happy tanking! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't see it being wrong :P it's better to post here instead of general that's for sure, if you're just starting to tank, add my btag Illandir#1179 and we can run some lfr or dungeons so you can get a feel for it :P it's very simple once you've got a basic rotation down and once you learn your stat priorities and the like you can quickly start gemming and enchanting without having to ask :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ooh, wrong place to ask that question, kid. Still, what's done is done. Let's see what we've got...

Actually, son, this is a great place to ask the question. It's specifically about gearing a paladin tank, rather than a generic tank question. I'd say the tank forum would be fine for it also, but this is certainly not the wrong place to ask the question.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Actually, son, this is a great place to ask the question. It's specifically about gearing a paladin tank, rather than a generic tank question. I'd say the tank forum would be fine for it also, but this is certainly not the wrong place to ask the question.

Exactly, OP wants advice, and he has received some very good advice in these thread.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]