LFR,Taking the plunge, need some advice.

90 Human Priest
This is one of my alts (Main is Rolly, some of you might have seen some of my snide posts)

anyhoo I thought I'd take the plunge into healing, I 'm getting a little bored.

I'm going to start with 5 mans but one thing I'm a little confused with is when you join a LFR group how do you know which people you're healing?
Do you just heal the people in your 5 man group?
Do you try and be a hero and heal all? Bubbles all around man, bubbles all around.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Heal all the things basically. As a disc priest you can mostly atonement heal and still top the meters while being mostly afk :P
Reply Quote
LFR isn't healing and won't make you a better healer. Do 5 mans / challenge modes if you want practice. then go to raids.

LFR makes you forget how to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LFR isn't healing and won't make you a better healer. Do 5 mans / challenge modes if you want practice. then go to raids.

So true. So very, very true.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

hmmm

If you go into LFR with the *wrong* attitude, you won't be practicing healing.

If you go in there and use the "raid-ish environment" to help develop muscle memory for your cooldowns, it can be helpful You just have to... uh... suspend your disbelief that any of it is important ;)

For example - for a Disc priest, you could:

-focus on remembering to make good use of PW:B, Pain Supression, and Mindbender (... or good Shadowfiend use and KEEP SOLACE ON COOLDOWN AT ALL TIMES)

-work on Rapture timing better than is often possible in 5mans...

-improve your target selection for PoH efficiency...

-work on ensuring that Evangelism *never* falls off you (until you pop Archangel of course)... of course, for that to be of any relevence, it presumes you're trying to make use of abilities other than Atonement healing.

As Venomheart is suggesting, no, none of it has much importance for whether the LFR succeeds or not. However, LFR *can* provide an environment some people can use to do a bit of practicing of things which aren't very practice-able outside of a raid environment.

I'd also suggest BGs or arenas. My Disc priesting took off, back in Cata, when I started doing even just casual BGs and arenas with a friend. PvP is an unscripted environment; every fight is different because the match-ups are different every time. If you're willing to dust yourself off, get yourself back on your feet, and let go of your wounded pride every time you die, it can be an amazing training ground for all sorts of instincts which are transferrable back into PvE healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^ Yeah LFR isn't a bad place to practice certain spell usage and just movement in general since it's LFR and it's supposed to be "less stressful". Completely forgot about pvp, but bgs alone are a great place to learn (especially if you have friends to run with since they'll actually peel for you :P).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Good suggestions in here. Ignore the meter and focus on keeping your overheals low, timing your cooldowns and getting that muscle memory in place.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

Just to argue this a little:

LFR can help you become a better healer- especially if you have a bad group.

In LFR, you have to deal with a lot of things you normally wouldn't in an actual structured environment. People standing in stuff, tanks getting hit harder than they should be due to not using their damage reduction stuff, tanks/dps overpulling things.

That's generally stuff you don't have to over much worry about in normal raiding. Playing with "bads" (I hate this terms but it's the best way to explain it) helps you learn what your limitations are and what you can/can't do.

Also, it does somewhat prepare you for normal raiding in effect of learning how/when to time your "big" abilities (in your case spirit shell) with DBM. Also, I would also practice in getting in the habit of dispelling- LFR still has stuff to dispel. Don't be the priest that let the resto shaman beat him on dispels.

Also, I wouldn't even bother looking at the healing meters in LFR.
Edited by Jujubiju on 7/11/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I usually use lfr to test how certain spells advantage the raid for certain fights but unless you're carrying 4 out of 6 of the healers its not really going to test or improve your skill at all.

Try challenge modes or a heroic dungeon, and tell your group to play like noobs!

Ultimately though, healing is all about practice practice practice In raids
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Yeah as some ppl said above, as a Disc Priest in LFR, all you can really do is practice managing CDs, other than that your just gonna Smite spam, not because ur lazy, but because there's nothing really to heal that smite spamming won't take care of.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]