DPS help

100 Human Paladin
Ok my ret pally is my main character, I have pretty decent gear, 497 is my overall but i have some 502 and 522 pieces.

Everyone talks about DPS but, I dont understand I dont think. When i attack, I can do damage upwards of 130k that i have notices and as low as 16k, but i never really notice a change in my "DPS" other than by a 1 or 2k swing...

Is dps a generic term people are using for damage or should my dps really e up arond 100k? right now its sitting at 11k when i look at my character...

can someone please give me some incite and some help on increasing my dps either way.

Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Don't look at the DPS on your character sheet. That's just auto-attacks. In order to determine your true DPS you need an addon like Recount or Skada that tracks your total damage.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
"DPS" is a term that literally means damage per second. This figure is determined by taking your total damage for a certain encounter and dividing that number by the length of the encounter. So, if you deal fifty-seven million damage over the course of a six minute (three hundred sixty second) encounter, your DPS would be 158,333.

To track this, you need an addon such as Skada or Recount, or to be running World of Logs' client.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 7/11/2013 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
So, if you deal fifty-seven million damage over the course of a six minute (three hundred second) encounter, your DPS would be 158,333.
Grog stacks so much haste his minutes only have 50 seconds in them. I is impressed :P
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Grog stacks so much haste his minutes only have 50 seconds in them. I is impressed :P

...No, I realized that mistake earlier and fixed the actual number, but forgot to fix that part. LOL
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thank you everyone for the input! is there a preference between skada or recount? Also im using paly spell flash to help my timing should i keep it or just go back ot instinct. Im not noticing a horrible difference with or without.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
I prefer Recount, but I don't think there's any truly outstanding difference between the two. If you're not having issues, I'd say stick with what you've got; if you're good with handling Inq, either way would be fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]