Pally AOE healing. A Guild crisis!

90 Human Paladin
Hello all,

I have a minor guild crisis brewing, and I was hoping you could add light to the situation.

Certain persons in my guild, don't believe at all that geared pallies can compete in a raid healing capacity and after numerous attempts at diplomacy I have resorted to opening the discussion up to the public, the discussions are as follows.

1. Pallies have a a few crappy raid heals but they arn't supposed to be aoe healing.
My response: Well then why did i just out heal the entire raid?

2. Well you out healed a LFR but that still doesn't mean you should raid heal, focus on the tank.
My response: My healing the tank is pretty transparent unless there is spike damage where he needs a healing CD. Beacon of light alone ensures that the tanks getting a decent amount of healing.

3. The tanks Only getting 15% healing from a AOE.
My response: Thats 15% X How many I hit from radiance and dawn? Once i get 2 set bonus
Holy shock should hit for nearly 100% AND its an AOE in the right rotation.

4. Your not optimized for AOE healing.
My Response: if i just only healed the tank then you would complain about my Low numbers.
I don't need to JUST direct heal the tank because hes getting more healing done from mass AOE healing that i would just doing divine light.

With all of this being said, I'm not on bad terms with these guys, but it would be nice to get a out side opinion on the matter, since they don't trust I know what I'm doing.
If I'm wrong I will tone down the aoe healing and only throw out the occasional aoe heal.
If Im right, then please explain in detail why.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Honest opinion, your guildmates are idiots living in the past. Between Light of Dawn, Light's Hammer, Holy Radiance, Holy Prism, and Daybreak, our multi-target healing potential is pretty ridiculous - especially compared to the fact that we had exactly three heals (four if you count Lay on Hands; Judgement of Light doesn't count since Ret and Prot could bring that just as effectively) in Wrath, when tank healing really was the only thing we were good at.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
pallies heal the tanks via beacon through AOE style raid healing....HS on cd, HR hitting multiple targets to generate holy power to blanket the raid with 1 HP EFs. If they question your tank healing just link healing taken to show the amt of healing you poured on the tanks. We are o longer just a single target 1 spell wonder, and I thank Blizzard for that. WOTLK style holy pally was pretty boring in comparison to where we are now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
People who still think that paladins are only good for single target are funny in a sad way.

Holy paladins are aoe monsters.

Also I hate you for having invocation of the dawn and transmogging away from it.
Edited by Cayse on 7/11/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Politics.

You should check and see if the person who is occupying the raid healing spot is someone who does not want their spot to be taken by someone else. You could also invite your guild to read Icy Veins which clearly indicates that Hpallies, while being excellent main tank healers, are especially good at raid healing. (That is if they really aren't going to give you a shot and won't take your word for it.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you can do both at the same time, there's no issue.

The way I see it, your problem is you using LoD over EF.

EF transfers 50% of its healing to the beaconed target compared to 15% from LoD, making the former a far better tool for healing throughput especially when you are rolling IH shields at the same time.

For the most part, LoD is padding the meters simply because you cannot control the targets you hit it with. The people needing a heal may not necessarily be the lowest health targets in the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/11/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Jessmojr
Certain persons in my guild, don't believe at all that geared pallies can compete in a raid healing capacity

Just gquit and find another guild. Plenty out there in need of healers.

This is a video game, going emotional and investing any kind of energy into it that these situation requires is completely counter-productive to the goal of playing video games : entertainment.
Edited by Berith on 7/13/2013 5:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Something is missing here, why is the conversation within your guild happening?

Is the tank frequently dying because of lack of heals? Are other raid-heals feeling it necessary to assist you in keeping the tank(s) up? Or are you frequently, and publicly going OOM (calling for innervates), perhaps because of AoE healing you are doing?

If the answer is no to both of these, then bluntly your groups seem to be a bunch of healing meter !@#$%s.

If the tank is up with minimal assistance from other healers, and you can spot heal (direct or aoe) without sacrificing your mana position, I say let the meters fall where they may and enjoy the game. I assume you are also taking advantage of other tools like Sac, Devotion Aura, Cleansing...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Why would you stay with a guild that talks down to you like that? Have some self-respect, man..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm also confused as to how this discussion is even relevant. I'm assuming that the character you're posting on is your main, and as such have only done normal Jin'rokh, and there are no logs, so what are they really arguing about?

But to adress your questions:

1. Pallies have a a few crappy raid heals but they arn't supposed to be aoe healing.
My response: Well then why did i just out heal the entire raid?

"Outhealing" is pretty irrelevant, specially in LFR, half the healers can be AFK and the boss would still die. We are very strong raid healers atm, more so than tank healers, but the way we AoE heal still do a fair amount of tank healing thanks to the 50% beacon transfer from EF.

2. Well you out healed a LFR but that still doesn't mean you should raid heal, focus on the tank.
My response: My healing the tank is pretty transparent unless there is spike damage where he needs a healing CD. Beacon of light alone ensures that the tanks getting a decent amount of healing.

Again, zero !@#$s given about LFR, the game isn't balanced around LFR, but other than that you are correct.

3. The tanks Only getting 15% healing from a AOE.
My response: Thats 15% X How many I hit from radiance and dawn? Once i get 2 set bonus
Holy shock should hit for nearly 100% AND its an AOE in the right rotation.

Well, they only get 15% from LoD, but you shouldn't AoE heal by spending all your HP on LoD, you should be spreading EF's around on the raid and thereby getting 50% transfer to beacon.

4. Your not optimized for AOE healing.
My Response: if i just only healed the tank then you would complain about my Low numbers.
I don't need to JUST direct heal the tank because hes getting more healing done from mass AOE healing that i would just doing divine light.

Paladins aren't "optimized" for anything right now. Our single target heals aren't as strong as a druids or shamans, hps nor hpm wise. We tank heal through beacon and EF ticks.

With all of this being said, I'm not on bad terms with these guys, but it would be nice to get a out side opinion on the matter, since they don't trust I know what I'm doing.
If I'm wrong I will tone down the aoe healing and only throw out the occasional aoe heal.
If Im right, then please explain in detail why.

You are right, and wrong. If you are only spending your HP on LoD, and that's what you mean with AoE healing then you should tone it down, but if you are raid healing by spreading EF's then you're doing it fine.
Edited by Miskatonic on 7/13/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've been raiding hardcore since the launch of Cata with hardmode endgame content, and everyone of those raid groups had a holy pally including my current ToT group. They are efficient and in the hands of someone who knows how to play their class and can react quickly, can make idiots who fail mechanics look like competent raiders. These !@#$%^-s need to get off their pulpits and look at the numbers. If HPallys could not hold their own, they would not be ranking.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/hps/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]