Resto druids

90 Night Elf Druid
I just wanted to hear an opinion on a statement someone said to a resto druid learning how to heal for the first time.

"use healing touch to top people off"

Does anyone think this is so wrong??? in the time it takes me to cast 1 healing touch, i can get 1.8 regrowths off, for only 500 mana more...AND THEY EVEN HEAL FOR MORE. (if youre smart and use the glyph like youre supposed to)

Healing touch should only be used with Nature's Swiftness :/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You are correct (always trust your instincts ;D). I've only been raid healing on my disc priest, but I imagine HT is still kinda meh in comparison.

I rarely use HT, even with nature's swiftness (I usually use regrowth).
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Dont use HT unless macrod with NS

Big ole heal to save someone.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You're supposed to use Healing Touch when Omen of Clarity procs your Clearcasting state, as Nourish is unaffected by it. Omen of Clarity is signified the green leafy vines that arc around your character on the UI from time to time.

I suspect whoever said you use it to top people off meant to say you're supposed to use Nourish.
Edited by Drewthedruid on 7/11/2013 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You're supposed to use Healing Touch when Omen of Clarity procs your Clearcasting state, as Nourish is unaffected by it. Omen of Clarity is signified the green leafy vines that arc around your character on the UI from time to time.

What?

No...Regrowth. Not HT. For OOC procs.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
There's a place for every spell, and unless we're talking about a tank taking insanely bursty damage whom you are charged with keeping alive, then the advice was poor.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I rarely ever use Healing Touch in LFR, Hell, the majority of the time I use Wild Growth/Rejuvination, and Regrowth.

Clearcasting is used on Regrowth, /especially/ a glyphed version, so I can put on Living Seed.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Eh, I use the NS+HT macro, and if speed isn't an issue, I will use Rejuve to top someone off, rather than Healing Touch.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
There's a place for every spell

And the place for HT is macro'd with NS.

Where's the place for Nourish? Refreshing Harmony while out of combat? I'll just RG in that case, because we're out of combat and I'll be back at 100% before combat begins.

I rarely use HT, even with nature's swiftness (I usually use regrowth).

Then you're gimping yourself -- An HT-NS will heal for more than an HT-RG. If someone offers you a mana free, instant cast spell, you always take the biggest heal possible, because OH doesn't count if it costs you nothing in time or mana.
Edited by Kerranggaroo on 7/12/2013 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Where's the place for Nourish? Refreshing Harmony while out of combat? I'll just RG in that case, because we're out of combat and I'll be back at 100% before combat begins.

My Nourish hits for an avg 54k with a RJ rolling. Sometimes I keep myself busy with it with not much damage rolling. I could wait and do nothing or cast SM but there is a choice. You missed Gamex's point completely. You need to broaden your horizons or as Morpheus stated "Free your mind".

07/12/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Kerranggaroo
Then you're gimping yourself -- An HT-NS will heal for more than an HT-RG.

Prove it.

A guaranteed crit ReGrowth will on avg heal for more with NS than a Healing Touch that isn't a guaranteed crit.

If you don't believe me simply stand in a town and heal yourself with each. Now a HT that is a crit will heal for more but then we're talking RNG. But let's not forget LS from RG. While minuscule it's all about those little numbers adding up.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/12/2013 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/12/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Trollmendous

Prove it.

A guaranteed crit ReGrowth will on avg heal for more with NS than a Healing Touch that isn't a guaranteed crit.

If you don't believe me simply stand in a town and heal yourself with each. Now a HT that is a crit will heal for more but then we're talking RNG. But let's not forget LS from RG. While minuscule it's all about those little numbers adding up.

I'd still go NS HT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Prove it.

Yeah, I get a bigger heal from regrowth with NS than I do with HT. Before the glyph I used HT, I rarely use it now :3 But may be different in a raid setting.
Edited by Veroicone on 7/12/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'd still go NS HT

Choices are personal. Facts are another.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

My Nourish hits for an avg 54k with a RJ rolling. Sometimes I keep myself busy with it with not much damage rolling. I could wait and do nothing or cast SM but there is a choice. You missed Gamex's point completely. You need to broaden your horizons or as Morpheus stated "Free your mind".

07/12/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Kerranggaroo

Prove it.

You can't prove anything when you're talking about something that by nature, is variable.

I NS+HT and not RG.

Why?
Because it's an emergency heal. And in an emergency, a crit HT will do vastly superior effective healing. Whereas, guaranteed crit RG and a non crit HT will do similar healing.

(Living seed is poo on anyone but a tank. So, don't even bring that up. And if you're using NS+'x' on a tank, you're probably in a dire situation, where you're probably better off hoping that HT crits.)

A non crit NS+HT does just fine, not far below NS+RG. You take your chances with NS+HT in the event it crits because when it does, nothing comes even close to it, outside of shrooms hitting only 1 target.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Prove it.

my regrowths on average do about 115k (while glyphed). I tend to get a lot of crits when i use my NS+HT macro, and when HT crits it heals for around 300-350k. without a crit it does around 108K...whats better, always getting around 130k heals with NS+RG or maybe getting 350k with NS+HT...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You can't prove anything when you're talking about something that by nature, is variable.

But NS+RG isn't variable.

I NS+HT and not RG.

Great, but that doesn't mean it's always better.

A crit on HT is a very low chance. I suggest casting it and see how often you really see it crit.
Also, you're wrong on the amounts. My RGs avg 140k whereas my normal HT avg in the 130ish range. You can prove this yourself easy enough. What this means is that on avg my NS+RG will out-heal HT on every use except those that will be would crit with HT.

If we're talking emergency heal then certainly a guaranteed 200K hit will suffice for any player.

(Living seed is poo on anyone but a tank. So, don't even bring that up. And if you're using NS+'x' on a tank, you're probably in a dire situation, where you're probably better off hoping that HT crits.)

You use that as one of the arguments (LS from a gylph'd RG) when saying we should use RG and not HT as our normal go-to heal don't you? Are you saying it doesn't matter now?

In a 10m raid the people taking the most serious damage (on avg) will be the tanks. I don't need to "hope" for my NS+RG. It does exactly what it needs to - heal damage already dealt so that the next blow won't kill someone. I use NS more on tanks than anyone else in a raid. What's really rare is to see a tank with 500k+ HP need more than what a NS+RG provides. NS+HT uncrit will on avg heal from me for just under 200k which is slightly below my NS+RG. But in all those cases where I use it on the tanks it places a LS. You might find that not much of an argument but it will actually do more overall depending on whether you get more crits off of HT.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/12/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I tend to get a lot of crits when i use my NS+HT macro

HT doesn't crit anymore just because you use the glyph. It crits as much without it which isn't all that often and more if you have more crit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
when did i say that it crits more with the glyph?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

In a 10m raid the people taking the most serious damage (on avg) will be the tanks. I don't need to "hope" for my NS+RG. It does exactly what it needs to.

Which is marginally greater than HT....
I will automatically factor in Living seed, since that is what you wish.
NS+RG = 253k
NS+HT = 190k
NS+HT crit = 493k

(these numbers are done with no raid buffs, only Harmony and motw)

Let's say it's used 5 times on 1 encounter;
NS+RG, If you factor in living seed's, and assume they all actually proc and don't overheal (rare) it will do 1.26million healing
NS+HT will do 920k

NS+HT with just ONE crit = 1.37million. Just one crit.

All it takes is one single crit for HT to pull ahead. (Alot of it has to do with the nature of LS, it's poop.)

So, by running NS+RG, you're essentially assuming you will NEVER crit on NS+HT. With 20%~ crit on most druids in a raid environment this tier, and likely higher next tier, due to possible increased value of the crit stat, a Crit of NS+HT is not all that unlikely if you're using NS often.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

In a 10m raid the people taking the most serious damage (on avg) will be the tanks. I don't need to "hope" for my NS+RG. It does exactly what it needs to.

Which is marginally greater than HT....
I will automatically factor in Living seed, since that is what you wish.
NS+RG = 253k
NS+HT = 190k
NS+HT crit = 493k

(these numbers are done with no raid buffs, only Harmony and motw)

Let's say it's used 5 times on 1 encounter;
NS+RG, If you factor in living seed's, and assume they all actually proc and don't overheal (rare) it will do 1.26million healing
NS+HT will do 920k

NS+HT with just ONE crit = 1.37million. Just one crit.

All it takes is one single crit for HT to pull ahead. (Alot of it has to do with the nature of LS, it's poop.)

So, by running NS+RG, you're essentially assuming you will NEVER crit on NS+HT. With 20%~ crit on most druids in a raid environment this tier, and likely higher next tier, due to possible increased value of the crit stat, a Crit of NS+HT is not all that unlikely if you're using NS often.

I'm sorry but your argument is flawed and here's why.

The only numbers that matter are those numbers when the spell is cast to heal the current deficient. Overall healing done doesn't mean anything when we're talking about NS and it's relevance to RG or HT. There is a big difference between EH and OH.

Let's take your example and cast 5 NS. My 4 healed for more on avg for those cases where damage was high. Your 4 heal for on avg less than mine. You 'might' get one of those that crit for more but I still win when we're talking about individual casts. A NS+HT crit isn't always 900k+ and that kind of crit is even rarer than your normal HT crit. A 1 million heal is totally worthless when someone's HP isn't barley half that amount.

Wouldn't you agree that healing individual situations 4/5 times for more on avg is superior to perhaps having 1 bigger heal during the same encounter?

Even at 20% crit (in a raid) that's a pretty low number and is why we value crit least of all (other than haste past whatever BP we choose).

I never said NS+HT would never crit, I said it has a very low chance compared to RG which is of course guaranteed.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/12/2013 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]