Another which healer (sorry!)/raid comp quest

Hello everyone!
So, I've only ever really tanked before at a raid level (10 normal in 5.0-5.1, took a break from the game just recently came back last month). Well, I wanted to raid again and my old guild just happens to need a healer coming up in august. I've had only 1 max level healer, it was a resto druid and I pretty much gave up on playing it. I had some trouble "trusting" my HoTs (being a brand new healer and all) and ended up using a ton of direct heals, ooming as a result, etc. It was just bad all around (although I had fun Pvp healing on it).

Well, I'd love to get into healing again and I have the opportunity for a fresh start. My guild already has a resto druid and the healer I'd be replacing was a MW monk. I tried monk healing at max level briefly (I switched my Brewmaster's OS to MW to try it out) and I didn't really care for it tbh. I didn't like the way renewing mists behaved in comparison to rejuv (I felt like I had no control over it really) so I'm ruling out a monk, and I can't do a resto druid because they already have one.

Anyway, I'm torn between a disc priest or resto shaman. The raid already has a couple of clothies so there would be some gear competition if I went with disc but the RL isn't too concerned with that, they just need another healer. On fights that they 3 heal there's a spriest that goes holy.

Anyway, between disc and resto which healer has the most "straight forward" toolkit? I tend to have "tunnel vision" when I heal where I can't help but stare at my raid frames, but I think if the class had an easy enough/straight forward toolkit (not a boatload of buffs to watch and keep track of, just straight up healing) then that would alleviate the issue. Also, between the two which is most forgiving of mistakes/a slow reaction? Is it disc with the bubbles or r.shaman with it's mastery?
And finally, which would have better synergy with a r.druid and occasionally a holy priest?
Thanks!

*edit* FWIW too, I really enjoy PvP healing also, and I know disc is kind of FotM right now but is r.shaman competitive in BGs also?
Edited by Eoten on 7/13/2013 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
k

Well, I'd say resto shaman has the most straight-forward healing toolkit. My reasons for saying this is that specifically, resto shaman is a *throughput* healer (ie... reacts to damage on players).

Having said that, I highly recommend Disc priest for a 2-healing 10man setup where your co-healer will be a druid. My Wrath/Cata healer was a Disc priest, and I still raid (incredibly casually) on my Disc priest. The Disc priest absorb set-up will work *tremendously* efficiently with a resto druid co-healer; with no 3rd healer to "mop up the leftovers", an absorb healer (Disc) + a throughput healer (druid) will be tremendously effective.

... now, 5.4 is looming, and the preliminary indications we're seeing for 5.4 is that there are some interesting changes coming down the pipeline for resto shamans (all positive)... you'll *probably* be fine running shaman, if you really like the throughput healer model instead of the preventative (Disc) model... but I still recommend Disc, given your pairing with a druid.

edit to respond to your edit: yeah, resto shaman is *incredibly* good in PvP atm.
Edited by Ellarix on 7/13/2013 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Having said that, I highly recommend Disc priest for a 2-healing 10man setup where your co-healer will be a druid. My Wrath/Cata healer was a Disc priest, and I still raid (incredibly casually) on my Disc priest. The Disc priest absorb set-up will work *tremendously* efficiently with a resto druid co-healer; with no 3rd healer to "mop up the leftovers", an absorb healer (Disc) + a throughput healer (druid) will be tremendously effective.

That makes a lot since...disc can shield while the druid's HoTs do their work.

Thanks for your detailed answer! I made one of each on the PTR and did a quick heroic dungeon run to see which style I preferred and I think I'm going to go with the disc priest. Having the option of two healing specs is pretty neat too.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
That makes a lot since...disc can shield while the druid's HoTs do their work.

Thanks for your detailed answer! I made one of each on the PTR and did a quick heroic dungeon run to see which style I preferred and I think I'm going to go with the disc priest. Having the option of two healing specs is pretty neat too.

*exactly*

Now... 2 throughput healers... or 2 (different, ie, Disc & pally) absorb healers... can do well together too, if both are dedicated to figuring out how they can work together. However... an absorb & a throughput healer working to min/max are... amazing ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]