My DPS should be higher...

90 Tauren Paladin
Heyas,

People keep commenting that my DPS sucks. On average its about 60-65k. I have tried all the guides and still cant seem to raise this significantly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/saurfang/Filabuster/simple
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
07/13/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Filabuster
I have tried all the guides and still cant seem to raise this significantly.

I don't think so.

Just at a glance you're over the expertise and hit caps, your haste is terribly low and your gemming is just mostly wrong.

Some of your enchanting doesn't make any sense either.

Are you mixing what you use for Ret and Prot or something? Why do you have an Enchanted Pearl?

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t130889-ret_5_3_mop_retribution_concordance_retcon_who_ordered_mogugai_panda/

That guide has all the basics to help you fix yourself up a bit.

A lot of it could be down to your rotation and Inquisition maintenance as well. I suggest you download the CLCRet addon if you're having trouble with that. I also recommend Reforgelite for precise and simple reforging.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 7/13/2013 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I suspect most of what you need to fix lies in playstyle, and not gear, but we can take a look at your gear anyway.

• It looks like you're sharing some pieces between a prot set and your ret set. I do the same thing going from ret to prot, so I can understand not wanting to change shared pieces.
  • You have two stamina gems in what seems to be your "ret gear" - your gloves and legs. Pretty much in all cases you should be socketing Lightning Wild Jades into blues, if you want to grab the bonus at all.
  • Your helm, shoulders, and chest are all Battlefield: Barrens pieces, which are great for gearing up but, due to their lack of gem slots, aren't significantly better than LFR loot out of ToT.
  • You are over on both hit and expertise (for reference, their caps are 7.5%). You can change your boot enchant to Greater Haste to get closer to your hit cap, and reforge away some expertise to get some secondary stats back.

As for talents and glyphs, Holy Prism is suboptimal in pretty much all cases for ret. Execution Sentence for single-target and Light's Hammer for 2+ targets will yield more DPS. Also, you won't benefit from the Glyph of Final Wrath as ret, so change that to something more useful - Mass Exorcism is a personal favorite.

Your rotation and ability use will dictate most of your potential, though. The big two are Inquisition maintenance and cooldown usage.

For Inquisition, remember that it is now affected by Ignite-like mechanics that allow DoTs to clip, meaning that if you refresh Inquisition within 2 seconds of the buff expiring, those extra seconds will be added to the duration of your next Inquisition. Basically what this means is that you can feel free to refresh Inquisition at 2 seconds or less on the buff and not worry about losing DPS.

Cooldowns are a huge part of ret's damage, as we're a very burst-centric spec. Stacking your cooldowns properly (making sure AW and/or HA interact with Guardian of Ancient Kings whenever possible) and using them as often as you can will generally result in "good" DPS.

If you have any other questions, please don't be afraid to ask!
Edited by Lysogen on 7/13/2013 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
@candenbrie
I don't think so.

lmao well said

Dont use pvp gear for pve and wonder why you dps is low or tank gear or stamina gems/enchants...
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
When matching socket colors, you don't have to use a red gem in a red socket - an orange or purple gem also counts. Orange gems count as red and yellow, green count as yellow and blue, purple count as red and blue. Just think of mixing colors of paint.
Prismatic sockets do not require prismatic gems. Any gem at all will match a prismatic socket, which means you should put your best available kind of gem (in this case, Quick Sun's Radiance) in prismatic sockets.
Also, hit rating is a blue stat now, so you use haste/hit gems for blue sockets, rather than stamina gems.

Don't reforge out of haste. A utility like the ReforgeLite addon is very helpful for optimizing your reforges.

Darkmist Vortex, despite its ilvl, is pretty weak for Ret. Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault from valor points is good, as are Spark of Zandalar from Horridon or Primordius' Talisman of Rage from Primordius.

Get the 180 crit enchant for your cloak, 80 stats for your chest, Pandaren's Step for your boots, and 170 strength for your gloves.

Use Execution Sentence for bosses, not Holy Prism.

If you aren't already, get an addon to track Inquisition, and keep it up all the time. Use Avenging Wrath and GoAK as often as possible; you'll miss out on a lot of DPS if you forget them or save them for emergencies.
Edited by Ravicana on 7/13/2013 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
By "all the guides," do you mean those found at Noxxic and IcyVeins? If so, shame on you - that's your number one problem right there. We have a good sticky here; read it.

To your gear, you are over capped on hit and expertise; to be fair, not much you can really do about the hit with a Feather, but you're still forging into expertise. You're using pure stam gems and pure strength gems when, at that item level, you should be using haste/strength orange gems for red sockets and either haste/hit or haste/stam green gems to match blue sockets (the haste/stam gems are really only useful if you are desperate to control your hit). Also, you're using a prismatic gem, something which has not been useful since Wrath; should use pure haste gems in prismatic sockets.

Boot enchant should be haste or Pandaren's Step - and I would recommend Step as you're specced Long Arm; the 8% passive speed boost may not seem like much, but it still helps while Judgement is on CD. Gloves should be strength, chest should be stats, cloak should be crit. Need to get your blacksmithing up to add sockets to gloves and bracers.

Most important gear-related flaw, looking at your LFR experience, is that it appears you've been padding your item level at the expense of set bonuses. Normal T14 set bonuses trump 522 off-set gear, and the LFR 2pT14 will still trump 522 but I don't think LFR 4pT14 would be that valuable. Our set bonuses have been really, really strong this expansion - to not have them is to do yourself a disservice. Also, Darkmist Vortex is absolutely terrible; replace ASAP.

To spec and rotation, Execution Sentence is the strongest talent, single-target, at L90. Light's Hammer is only better if you can guarantee 2+ targets to stay within its area of effect for at least half its duration. If you're not pairing Wings and HA, that's a problem; when it is available, pop Guardian and wait 11s, then pop both Wings and HA to use all CDs to maximum effect.

Dont use pvp gear for pve and wonder why you dps is low or tank gear or stamina gems/enchants...

PvP gear is actually fine, as PvP stats are not factored into an items stat budget; PvP is also the best way to quickly acquire a decent weapon.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 7/13/2013 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
07/13/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
Why do you have an Enchanted Pearl?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/13/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Grôgnárd

PvP gear is actually fine, as PvP stats are not factored into an items stat budget; PvP is also the best way to quickly acquire a decent weapon.

This. Until you get a 502 weapon drop, the Tyrannical weapon is the next best. It's better to fill in your slots with 496 Tyrannical gear than use 463-476 PvE gear.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
It's better to fill in your slots with 496 Tyrannical gear than use 463-476 PvE gear.

Except where PvE set bonuses are available.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Thanks abunch for all the helpful advice. I changed most of my gems, reforged stats, changed a glyph, adjusted my rotation, and now Im doing 100k on average. When I pop my cds, doing about 140k. Thats more like it, whew! Again, thanks for all the advice. You guys/gals rock!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Nice! Congratulations on your success :)
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Excellent. Grats on the improvement.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I feel like my dps should be higher especially with 400k+ crits.

Best I can do in LFR is 89k dps. Then again I am a default UI using button clicker. :P
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
...How the hell are you critting 400k+ with that crappy weapon and no set bonuses? I call BS.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
...How the hell are you critting 400k+ with that crappy weapon and no set bonuses? I call BS.

417K TV crit http://i44.tinypic.com/4qflle.jpg

423K HoW crit http://i41.tinypic.com/2enub77.jpg
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Oh, pfft, Jin'rohk. Nevermind, thought you were serious. LOL

Puddle buff skews things; you're not getting 400k+ crits on a regular basis. You don't have the gear to be pushing much more than 90k, your wasting rating on pushing expertise hard cap, you're more than 1% over hit cap (more wasted rating), pure hit gems and pure expertise gems are complete wastes if you're over capped, your haste is extremely low, and you're using a prismatic gem - something which has not been used since Wrath.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Oh, pfft, Jin'rohk. Nevermind, thought you were serious. LOL

Puddle buff skews things; you're not getting 400k+ crits on a regular basis. You don't have the gear to be pushing much more than 90k, your wasting rating on pushing expertise hard cap, you're more than 1% over hit cap (more wasted rating), pure hit gems and pure expertise gems are complete wastes if you're over capped, your haste is extremely low, and you're using a prismatic gem - something which has not been used since Wrath.

I said I made 400k+ crits and you said that I didn't and I proved to you that I did now you're saying no big deal cuz of the boss? Are you serious?

Still thanks for the help on my gem choices. I'm still in the middle of making changes, figuring stuff out. I normally stick to questing. :P
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
That boss has a mechanic that artificially inflates damage packets under certain conditions; Horridon does, too. To use that as an argument for "I should be doing more" is not valid, since the argument hinges on very powerful fight-specific mechanics - mechanics that, if used correctly, favor Ret in a truly ridiculous manner.

Now, I do apologize if I inferred that you - as the player - are not capable of that sort of damage, but your gear definitely is not...Not yet, anyway. I'm glad I could help you with your gems and such, and I'll be more than happy to help with anything else in the future.

I know I can come off as kind of an ass sometimes, but I do generally mean well.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I said I made 400k+ crits and you said that I didn't and I proved to you that I did now you're saying no big deal cuz of the boss? Are you serious?

To be fair, using a gimmick boss to express damage numbers is a bad idea if you're looking for feedback.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Just at a glance you're over the expertise and hit caps

It's possible to not be over hit cap this tier?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]