How do I stop running out of mana so fast?

90 Night Elf Druid
I'm level 89 and it's really difficult healing dungeons. I run out of mana so fast, I'm completely oom just on trash mobs. Half way through boss fights I'm already oom. I'm sure my gear isn't much help, I know I need to improve on that, but other than that am I doing something wrong?
Up until about 2 weeks ago I used to just click my spells :P and now I downloaded Healbot and it's really helped me a lot to be honest, despite what people say about it. I don't know if I over heal or what.. So what can I do to help me become a better healer and not go OOM so fast? I want to be a raid healer when I'm 90 :)

Also, it says Spirit helps regenerate mana out of combat. Does Spirit do anything for me IN combat? Thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Spirit is going to be your primary source of incombat regen. Get as much as you can on your gear etc.

Other than that I would need to know your spell selection to figure out what's up with you going oom.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Well let me say I'm not the best resto druid, but i can give you some basic tips that you can take and use.

First off, Spirit does increase the mana regen that you have in combat, it is a passive that all healers have to help out with mana regen.

As a druid you need to rely on your hots try to always keep up 3 stacks of lifebloom on the tank.
Try to keep up your Mastery: harmony (makes your hots stronger but requires a direct heal every so often) by using your clearcasting procs. Also try to use regrowth only in emergencies or when you have clearcasting procs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Spirit absolutely helps with in combat regen.

Any number of things can/will contribute to mana struggles:

1. Gear, as you've said. Yours is quite solid for your level; you've reforged to Spirit on pieces that don't have it, which is good (you may want to include your trinkets, though, unless the ones we're seeing are Balance only).

2. Overhealing, again as you mentioned. Addons like Skada and Recount can help you monitor your spell use, but you may also want to work on playing more conservatively and less aggressively (assuming you're healing aggressively right now). Keep HoTs on the tank, but don't think s/he has to be at 100% always (at least not in 5 mans).

3. Spell choice. Are you using the right spells for the right occasions? Are you overusing expensive spells?

4. Bad groups. This isn't a factor you can really control. There are a lot of overconfident, undergeared players in LFD. If they're making mistakes that force you to pump out heavy healing consistently, you're going to run into mana troubles.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
4. Bad groups. This isn't a factor you can really control. There are a lot of overconfident, undergeared players in LFD. If they're making mistakes that force you to pump out heavy healing consistently, you're going to run into mana troubles.

This happens so so so much more often in leveling groups.

Amayna, do you use mana potions? And do you use Innervate often? Those will help a lot while you're gearing up.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I have an alt resto druid so I'm no pro, but hopefully I can help you out a bit.
First off as stated, spirit is your main source of mana regen. You can check it like any other stat on your character sheet, under the spell section and it will tell you how much in and out of combat regen you have.

Keeping harmony up is important, and the easiest way to do so is with swiftmend. It procs mastery and has a short enough cd that it can keep it up 100% of the time when used close to or on cd. I use the soul of the forest talent that gives the haste buff to your next spell cast directly after a swiftmend, and I use that for wild growths since spreading around mass rejuves can get expensive at lower spirit/gear levels.

Cast innervate early (around 80% remaining mana) if you feel the fight will be long enough to warrant it, but if you can make it through without it and simply drink before the next pull, then save it for when $%^# hits the fan.

And lastly bad groups are rampant in random dungeons and heroics, and there is almost always that one guy that just doesn't feel at home if he isn't standing in bad soaking 40k/sec damage at all times. If there is a priest in your group cast symbiosis on them for leap of faith, its got a longer cd than for the priest, but it can be great to pull that dude out of danger city and save you mana in the long run by having to heal them less.

Always keep water on hand and let your group know if they are making you burn too much mana too fast. Most will start paying attention and use defensive cd's and/or self heals to help lighten the load when you give them a polite heads up. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Some things that can help are to get the 200 Spirit chest enchant and the Pearlescent Spellthread. Good glyphs for PvE healing are Glyph of Lifebloom, Glyph of Regrowth, and Glyph of Wild Growth. Glyph of Lifebloom may not be as useful as the other two until you start raiding. Glyph of Regrowth basically makes Healing Touch useless since it makes Regrowth heal for almost as much and placed Living Seed on the target and Regrowth takes less time to cast. Regrowth is slightly more expensive, but being able to throw out a big heal fast lets you cast more Nourishes (as opposed to chain casting HT) or gives you more time to let Rejuv tick before you have to start casting your big heal. Glyph of Wild Growth's usefulness depends on the number of pets that eat your WG.

Use Nature's Swiftness + HT as often as you can, since you get a free instant big heal. You may also want to get the Force of Nature talent, since it is free to cast, you get a free underpowered AoE heal, and free small smart heals. You gain a treant charge every 30 seconds, so you can get a bunch of free heals and will almost always have 3 charges going into a boss fight. Use Regrowth on Clearcasting procs, feel free to waste those to refresh Lifebloom if no one needs healing. Try to keep Lifebloom up even out of combat, that will give you some free GCDs to throw out Rejuvs or other spells.

Trow Ironbark on the tank when she/he is taking a lot of damage, it reduces the damage taken, which means you have less to heal.

If you find that you have to chain cast big heals to keep the group up, the problem is with the group, not the way you are healing. Over healing as a Druid is only a problem if most of it comes from direct heals or more than 75ish% of your hots are over healing. Lifebloom is the exception, don't worry about how much it over heals for.

Edit: Get the Ghost Iron Dragonling and put a Sparkling Tinker's Gear (600 Spirit) in it. You can only have one Sparkling Tinker's Gear in it, but that is a lot of spirit for 450 iLevel trinket.
Edited by Elyssyra on 7/14/2013 4:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Spirit absolutely helps with in combat regen.

those two things are a huge factor. make sure you're not keeping everyone at 100% hp in 5 mans. if they're standing in it, its their own fault and you shouldnt have to pay for it. if there's unnecessary damage being taken, point it out and hope they fix it. if it's unavoidable, on the other hand, try your best to use your least expensive heal to just get them up a bit.

on the druid side of the healing department, it looks like Elyssyra knos her stuff, so stick with her for the druid help. healing in general, be a little less agressive with healing (i need to learn this...) and kno when to use what spell. it might look bad, but it might not actually be bad. start with the less mana costing stuff first, and then if !@#$ hits the fan start, casting heavier and heavier spells.

Innervate on cd is always good too! start at 75% mana and then when its off again if the fight is still progressing. since yours isnt a cast like pallies is, shoot it out mid hot roll or when things aren't as damaging. Pots are nice as well. I tend to use the focus pots for more mana, only when i kno my tank will live for the duration. if you're unsure, use a quick mana pot if its really needed. if you were a pally/shammy i'd be able to help more, but druids and priests are the 2 healy classes i havent learned....yet xD
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Quit reforging your mastery into spirit and instead reforge your haste into spirit on pieces without spirit.

Haste is worthless at your level and even in 5-man heroics. Haste is only ever important when raiding.

Add the Regrowth and Lifebloom glyph. You can use the BREZ one for now since WildGrowth one is worthless in 5-mans.

Keep 3 Lifeblooms rolling on your tank and switch it (that's what the glyph is for) to others who are taking damage.

Don't cast a lot of rejuvs -
Don't cast Wildgrowth unless 3 or more party members are taking damage -
Don't cast Regrowth when it's not needed. It heals for a lot so it normally should be only used on the tank in situations where Lifebloom & rejuv won't suffice.

DO use Ironbark every time it's up on the tank or yourself when you know damage is coming.
DO dispel often with the tank and yourself as priorities.
DO cast Tranquility when you find the situation unhealable by all normal methods (Like a very big tank mob pull and for some bosses encounters). In 5-mans often trash pulls are worse than 90% of the boss encounters.
DO use innervate when you reach 80% mana and keep it on cool-down through any combat.
DO you Incarnation when your Tranquility is on CD by spamming single Lifeblooms on all party members and taking advantage of free Omen of Clarity procs by casting instant Regrowths.
DO try the talent Soul of the Forest over Incarnation. It does pretty nicely in 5-mans. You simply cast a SM followed by a Wildgrowth. This will add a number of added ticks to Wildgrowth.

Your rotation (we don't really have one but) would look like -

Cast Nourish to start Harmony (your mastery bonus which is BIG. Never ever cast a spell without it being up.
Place 3 Lifeblooms on tank
Your goal is to keep LB rolling non stop so and to keep harmony going. You can accomplish this a few ways -

1: Use Swiftmend (This will keep up Harmony part)
2: Cast a direct spell, Nourish, Regrowth or Healing Touch (This will keep both Harmony and LB going)
3: Use Wild Mushrooms (This will keep Harmony going)

Make sure you are tracking Lifebloom and Harmony. There are a few ways to do this but I'm not sure what UI you're using to heal with so.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/14/2013 5:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You'll definitely want to take Elyssyra's post into consideration. Just going to mention a few more points:

1. Use Innervate when you're at 80% mana (or lower) and/or on cooldown afterwards. You can set up a Weak Aura to show when you've reached this point.

2. Use the proper spell priority.

3. Try to track your Harmony and Lifebloom uptimes. The better you get at this, the easier things will be in the long run (especially in raiding environments.) Weak Auras is a fantastic tool for this.

I am going to agree and disagree with one point -- the use of Force of Nature. It's a great spell since the changes. However, I found that Soul of the Forest was more useful when leveling. Soul of the Forest procs when you use Swiftmend. This grants you 75% haste (100% in 5.4). SotF is best followed by Wild Growth if the group is taking sustained damage. If not, it's best followed by a Rejuv on the tank. This will allow you more time to hard cast heals to keep Lifebloom up. Nourish will probably be the best choice at your spirit levels -- just don't be afraid to cast a Regrowth for a strong/fast heal.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
7k spirit is... going to be a challenge. Recently levelled a MW Monk and I know for certain there are 0 pieces of leather with spirit on it. What a nightmare, so it doesn't surprise me that you have little to no mana regen. Just reforge for another 2 or 3k in spirit off the get go and listen to these fine and knowledgeable resto druids giving you advice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Understanding when you can use more cost efficient spells is a huge part of the battle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
spirit is highly needed by every healer it helps regenerate mana IN COMBAT. the more spirit you have the more/faster i believe your mana regens while in combat. you do not want to stack so much mana to the point your other skills are lacking their is a reason why mostly every healing class has an infight mana regen for druids it's innervate. do NOT waste innervate on other people unless you know for sure you're not going to need it in the fight and can spare it. otherwise use it.

other then that you simply need to learn how to heal. what i like about healing is their really is no set rotation. you have certain spells you use to heal but you on your own choose when to use them.

you might be going oom because your party sucks and not you this is also a problem why healers oom. another reason would be magic effects that reduce mana.

as to what your doing wrong idk all i can tell you is to practice and learn your class. my main is a resto druid and honestly i have no problems healing with it. what i do is i keep lifebloom on the tank at ALL times. life bloom stacks up to 3 times keep 3 stacks up every single time, use swiftmend when they are taking a lot of damage and if not a lot of dmg is being taken i simply just rely on lifebloom or rejuvination +lifebloom on the tank. i NEVER waste lifebloom on dps or other healers i always keep it up on tank. once lifebloom procs use it since it allows for free healing no cost of mana on any instant healing spell. here is what i can tell you from healing for the past 2 years.

as a healer you have quick heals, HoT's, Large slow heals, large fast heals sometimes, small slow heals.

Quick heals- only use it in dire need don't rely on quick healing spells when your tank isn't at say 5% health.

HoT's they usually should be on at all times or for small heals.

Large slow heals- when someone is taking a lot of damage but won't die within the next 2-4 seconds

Large fast heals- when someone is taking a lot of damage and most likely to die within the next hit.

small slow heals- when someone isn't taking so much damage but needs heals.

do NOT over heal. over healing is very bad as your just wasting mana. other then that practice makes perfect and also spend time fooling around with healbot. people discriminate saying people who use healbot have no skills this is false were just smarter for making our job easier.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

This is so true. I am only just now learning to distinguish the bad groups/players from the decent ones. As a new healer sometimes I really couldnt tell if I was just screwing up and badly managing my skills, or if it was the players.

But I am slowly learning to tell the difference now. I cannot be expected to keep up 3 DPS + a tank standing in green Viscuous Fluid AND the Frenzy from Commander Ri'Mok in a Gate of the Setting Sun instance run unless I vastly outgear it, or unless I'm able to read minds and know beforehand to brace myself for the incoming retardation.

Its funny how people will do that, die, and try and blame the healer. I just link the recount from their damage taken and tell them to stop standing in puddles and stop standing in the bosses cleave.
Edited by Ciph on 7/14/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Even as spirit is your main regen too I recall recently while leveling my monk and paladin they never seemed to have more than 2.5k spirit. At lv89 that's nearly no regen. so just take some cheap drinks in and when you can sit down have a sip :P
Reply Quote
Even as spirit is your main regen too I recall recently while leveling my monk and paladin they never seemed to have more than 2.5k spirit. At lv89 that's nearly no regen. so just take some cheap drinks in and when you can sit down have a sip :P

If people are running off while you are drinking (as they often do) then say something about it. Maybe even start your run with stating that your regen is not so great and that you will need to drink so that it isn't unexpected. Then they either listen to you and wait while you drink, or ignore your advice anyway and run off and die while you drink tea. Some people may be outright jerks about this, but just shrug it off.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus
07/14/2013 12:37 PMPosted by Obtuse
7k spirit is... going to be a challenge. Recently levelled a MW Monk and I know for certain there are 0 pieces of leather with spirit on it.

I think my druid had 6k spirit when i dinged 2 weeks ago. Basically 384 4pce+397+whatever blue drops I got dungeon quests plus a couple of boa and alchemy trinket, zero drops from the actual instances themselves .

Use your innervate, don't overheal , the rest comes down to the group which can be a massive amount of difference. I did not have any issues but perhaps I was lucky.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
My memory of leveling up in those first two weeks of MoP involved a LOT of OOM in dungeons. It was a combo of low-quality/poorly itemized gear, groups unsure of mechanics (ever have a 14 minute long Yan-Tzu (sp?) fight? I have), and overconfident groups. I'm sure the overconfidence is even worse now, since at least when I was going through, it was pretty much everyone's first trip to 90.

So I compensated with buying lots of the highest-level water I could afford. As I could see the fight (even a trash pull) coming to a point where I was done being needed, I'd run as far forwards as I could without pulling mobs, and then start drinking the second combat dropped, then wouldn't stop drinking until either I was full on mana, or I was absolutely needed for heals.

07/14/2013 12:37 PMPosted by Obtuse
7k spirit is... going to be a challenge.

7k spirit is a lot for that level. I had less sprit than that for healing MSV.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
7k spirit is... going to be a challenge. Recently levelled a MW Monk and I know for certain there are 0 pieces of leather with spirit on it. What a nightmare, so it doesn't surprise me that you have little to no mana regen. Just reforge for another 2 or 3k in spirit off the get go and listen to these fine and knowledgeable resto druids giving you advice.

I don't even have 7k spirit now and I am pretty much geared in heroics. Now granted, I still need to work on some enchants but I had way way less than when I first dinged 90 about three days ago.

I am sitting at just over 6k spirit and for the first time I am not going oom after each pull. My advise is like many others here, try to get as much spirit as you can while not ignoring your intellect. Intellect is still your most important stat because it dictates how much you can heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm level 89 and it's really difficult healing dungeons. I run out of mana so fast, I'm completely oom just on trash mobs. Half way through boss fights I'm already oom. I'm sure my gear isn't much help, I know I need to improve on that, but other than that am I doing something wrong?

Well, it's hard to say without knowing what you ARE doing, but the most likely suspect is that you're using low efficiency heals too much, especially Regrowth. Try to rely more on lifebloom, rejuv and nourish on the tank, and if someone else takes damage, either rejuv and let that heal them up over time, or if you have time for it, healing touch. Or just rejuv+swiftmend the tank and let the DPS stand in the Efflorescence. DPS really shouldn't be taking that much damage in dungeons in the first place, unless they are doing something seriously wrong (or unless the tank is AFK or dead, but I assume in those cases you would know what the problem was!).

If you're already doing it this way and still having mana problems, then you or your group probably just have elevated expectations that come from watching someone else do content they outgear by 50+ item levels (like a raider in a MoP heroic dungeon). Pulling whole rooms, let alone multiple rooms, is not a good idea in content that is actually appropriate to your group, and sometimes needing to drink before pulling a boss is normal. Sadly, some groups need to be reminded of that fact.

Don't pay too much attention to guides written for raiding -- raiders usually have a LOT more spirit and the pattern of incoming damage is very different. For example, multitarget heals like Wild Growth should be used sparingly in a group context -- unless at least 3 people are hurt, WG is not really worth casting. A guide written for raiders will probably tell you to cast it on CD, which may be good advice -- in a raid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]