Looking for tips on Holy Pally. Have logs.

90 Tauren Paladin
This holy paladin is an alt but it looks like I will be one of the main healers in the alt raid as well as the main raid. I feel like I'm missing something on my pally. For example on Megaera I was doing over 100k on my druid the first time but on my pally I'm capping at 80k. All of the aoe on that fight with the acid bombs is overwhelming. Any tips would be much appreciated.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dwz862brjwms0000/sum/healingDone/
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm no holy pally expert (my holy pally alt just hit lvl 90 last lockout, and I haven't raided on her) but if you take Eternal Flame (which you should for sure, at least for the remainder of 5.3) you should avoid Glyph of the Protector of the Innocent, as far as I know. It only buffs the initial Eternal Flame heal (not the HoT portion).

On Magaera, specifically, don't use Holy Prism; use Light's Hammer, I believe. As to whether to break into LoD-spam for 10man Meg or stick with EF-blanketing, I don't know... I'd certainly think that either way, Holy Avenger would be the talent to take instead of Divine Purpose. You've got a nice solid amt of Spirit there, I think you should be fine to step away from the mana-savings of DP. RNG is RNG. I hate RNG as a healer, and avoid it wherever humanly possible ;)

Similarly, I don't know what to say about all of your Crit gearing. I know it's a thing some Holy pallies are doing; I just can't say whether it's doing you justice 2-healing at your gear level or not. Mastery is NOT a bad thing yet (... debate is certainly ongoing for Mastery in 5.4 tho).

Someone more experienced than I am will undoubtledly be along soon to make good points/let you know where I'm wrong!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
as far as gear goes: even in 10man, mastery is probably your best throughput stat. combined with eternal flame, you're able to raid heal or tank heal really effectively. crit is not always there, mastery is (it also turns overheal into reliable shielding).

in regards to megaera specifically: you want to have Light's Hammer for sure. it is up for every rampage and does extreme healing. every 3 minutes you can use divine favor and avenging wrath with one, and it's literally a raid cooldown. taking holy avenger and using it for rampages means that you can get a ton of Eternal Flames out on people by using a holy power generator (holy radiance) while stacked, then using EF. green swirl damage is largely avoidable, if people move away from them, it really lightens the healing load (outside of rampages).

you can use 3 minute CDs for rampage 1 and have them back for rampage 4. so if you use HA/DF/AW on rampage 1, you'll be able to do the same thing for rampage 4. for rampage 2 i would use goak, and then just use it for the next rampage it's up for (likely the last one). you can also use your CDs on rampages 2 and 5 (HA/DF/AW) and just guardian 1 and then use it again on the last one. that means you'd only have 2 rampages without any healing increase CD from you, which are easily negated by other classes cooldowns. for rampages where you use guardian, just try to cast one holy shock when you use guardian to get a stack of the haste buff, and use HR until you have 3 HP, then use an EF, spam HR until the haste buff is about to fall off and use another EF, etc. that might be a lot for your mana, but it should work fine if you can find ways to make the healing light in other phases.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As far as gearing goes, don't gem straight int, or straight crit. The reason you don't wanna gem straight int is because of the budgeting of primary stats vs. secondary stats. The reason you don't wanna gem crit is because crit is meh. At your ilvl and no legendary meta I'd stick to sparkling in blue, spirit/mastery in yellow and int/spirit in red.

Typically follow these "rules" as far as reforging goes:
If it has spirit and mastery, leave the piece alone.
If it has spirit and haste, reforge haste to mastery.
If it has spirit and crit, reforge crit to mastery.
If it has mastery and haste, reforge haste to spirit.
If it has mastery and crit, reforge crit to spirit.
If it has haste and crit, reforge haste to spirit.

I find that on my alt paladin that raids 10man I spread my throughput cd's out more since there are fewer healers to rely on, but that will depend on your comp and what kind of raid cd's you have available, I am lucky in my 10man and have tons of raid cd's so I don't really have to use my throughput cd's as such, I see greater results from popping them one at a time, but again, it comes down to comp. Try to make a list of what cd to use for each rampage so that you know what to do, looking at the logs you didn't optimize them. Try to use Holy Shock more, Light's Hammer is definatly your bestie on Megaera, spread the EF's around more.

Realistically though, your gear is really holding your back, your mastery is super super low.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I recently switched from mastery to crit because some end game pallys are doing it so i figured I would try it out. I don't think i can reach crit levels high enough to be worth it at this point though so I do plan on going back to mastery. As for lights hammer on megaera, i forgot to switch to it the first pull but i did for the rest. My biggest issue is just keeping up with all the AoE damage from the acid bombs towards the end of the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/15/2013 08:20 PMPosted by Rägehoof
I recently switched from mastery to crit because some end game pallys are doing it so i figured I would try it out.

Many of them are 530+ so they are getting the balance of their stats from gear. Crit isn't bad when you look at it over a complete fight. At lower gear levels mastery will always win out. At least until 5.4.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/15/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Miskatonic
As far as gearing goes, don't gem straight int, or straight crit. The reason you don't wanna gem straight int is because of the budgeting of primary stats vs. secondary stats. The reason you don't wanna gem crit is because crit is meh. At your ilvl and no legendary meta I'd stick to sparkling in blue, spirit/mastery in yellow and int/spirit in red.

Mathematically Crit is equal to Mastery. The only difference is that crit gives real healing and is prone to overhealing, vice mastery giving shields and overheal protection. It's reactive vice proactive. Basically if you start them off as balanced, adjust them based on your overheals. If your overheals are low, go more crit. If your overheals are high go more mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is coming from a Holy Pally that has not done Magaera, but I could offer some suggestions from what I see. I noticed that your enchanting and tailoring is not maxed. By not having these maxed, your missing out on enchanting's +320 int on rings and tailorings +4000 int proc on your cloak.

Just from comparing my gear to yours, I noticed we have about the same int, spirit, crit, and haste, however your mastery is a good 7-8% lower than mine. Going with that, depending on how you feel about your management with mana throughout the fight, you could re-gem your red sockets to 80 into 160 mastery, but then again, that is completely optional depending on your raid comp. ( I do 3 heal with a Disc and MW, so I don't usually have a problem with mana)

Again, this is all I could suggest as I have not done Magaera yet, but looking at stats and your item level for comparison, I would suggest going with a little more mastery. Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
druids will out perform pallies every time since the mastery nerf in 5.3. druids can cheese that fight tremendously.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]