Ret PVE a lost cause?

90 Draenei Paladin
I really want to join a raiding guild for the first time. However with so many ret pallies out there, I dont really feel like there is a need. This has been discouraging me from pushing that last little bit of gear, rather than starting again from scratch as holy.

What do you guys think? Should I keep going with ret?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
I recently joined a raiding guild on my Ret, and so did my wife. You might have to consider transferring, but check the Guild Recruitment forums and try finding something that would match your schedule and at least apply, try and talk to some officers. Never know what could happen until you try for it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't give up on what you enjoy playing because it appears overpopulated. If you fall into that trap, you will constantly be switching mains.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ret is fine.

Watch Twitch.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
07/14/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Palastorm
Ret is fine.

...Did you even bother to read the OP, or are you simply responding to and misunderstanding of the thread's title?

Watch Twitch.

Two questions: Who? and Why the hell should anyone care?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I really want to join a raiding guild for the first time. However with so many ret pallies out there, I dont really feel like there is a need. This has been discouraging me from pushing that last little bit of gear, rather than starting again from scratch as holy.

What do you guys think? Should I keep going with ret?

If you enjoy ret stick with ret. I got my spot by nagging a raid leader that wanted a warrior or dk and showing him that I could compete and beat those classes dps and proving my usefulness.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Pallynuts, I wouldn't worry so much about having ret's being overpopulated but more about that a lot of raiding guilds dont have much need for ret's at all. But OP im sure you can find a guild as a ret! Just might have to transfer as someone said.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes there are a lot of rets but the majority of them are bad. Try to find a guild that's trying to rebuild its core group or join a pug and hope someone is impressed enough to invite you.

07/14/2013 09:31 PMPosted by Zoaxlis
but more about that a lot of raiding guilds dont have much need for ret's at all.

Even though ret is superb right now melee bias is really high right now. I'm the only melee dps in my group
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ret can shine, just as any class, it all depends who is at the helm controlling the class.

Keep at it, get better and if your realm is slim pickings for a raiding guild consider Xfering to another realm.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Ret is not superb right now, But we are in a good spot, better than the past thats for sure. But still ret isn't very sought out after.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll just chime in here. My raiding group has just gotten started again into ToT and are only 4/12 in normal. But we run with a ret pally, and he's our top dps on all fights. On tortos he's pulling 197k dps. For dps wise we have the ret pally, frost dk, mage, ele sham, and a hunter. So don't give your hopes up, just need to find the right guild.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Get a tyrannical weapon, actually enchant your gear, do competitive dps.

And you get raid spots.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In the wake of the upcoming AMZ nerf (unless it was reverted), I think rets will be sought out more often because of Devotion Aura.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
But still ret isn't very sought out after.

That's cause you make us all look bad Zoax, if we could only DPS like you we could find a guild no problem :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hello Vansir. We are recruiting if you are willing to transfer to Shadow Council? We are a 25-man guild currently working on heroic ToT. Come check us out at www.LightBrigades.com

By the way, Ret Pallys for FTW! Also, I am currently the only ret pally on our raid team.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
...Maxx, I'm very tempted to take you up on that. LOL
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
As a ret only player since TBC, it's rough finding a raid group sometimes, and I've had to leave my guild at the time cause they tried to push me into a tank role, but while there is a lot of competition out there, if you have performance logs (worldoflogs), some good progression experience (even earlier), and know how to put it into words, you can apply to a progression guild and swoon them to trial you out.

Be encouraged by this: as many rets as are out there, many of them are terribads. I've run into pallys who didn't know how to salv and if you ask them for a bop, they're like wtf is a bop? So sad.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm a strong advocate for playing the spec you like most, so if that's Ret, don't switch to holy just for a raid spot. Trust me, you will not be happy doing it.

A well written application, strong logs-including a lack of unavoidable damage taken, and a clean character audit (i.e. enchants, etc..) will take you a long way with most guilds, despite class need.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
And once you get in, find one of their best players and blow your utilities on them! yay! better than sucking a few.. polearms to work your way up!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm a strong advocate for playing the spec you like most, so if that's Ret, don't switch to holy just for a raid spot. Trust me, you will not be happy doing it.

This. My guild is constantly pushing me to tank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]