Do % based healing increases add or multiply?

Ex:

20% from earth shield + 30% from unleashed life + 50% from unleashed fury + 35% from pvp power + 50% from deep healing = +185%

or is it...

1.2 * 1.3 * 1.5 * 1.35 * 1.5 = +373.85%

like how haste works

?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Bonuses tend to be calculated additively rather than multiplicatively. There are very few multiplicative buffs in game as they would tend to become ridiculously OP quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Actually, I know for a fact that that is not the case for dps and mitigation cds. And while I guess it could be different for healing, I find that unlikely. Most cds in game stack multiplicatively.

You are forgetting about battle fatigue though which would bring your total to.

1.2 * 1.3 * 1.5 * 1.35 * 1.5 * .55 = 260.62%
Edited by Viena on 7/16/2013 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your math is incorrect and you are forgetting about battle fatigue though which would bring your total to.

My math is correct. I just already accounted for the base %, and since the thread was about healing increases i didnt include battle fatigue.

If you like we could leave the pvp aspect out of it to keep it from being confusing.

1.2 * 1.3 * 1.5 *1.5 = +251%

or does it equal +150%

?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Its 251%

Healing cds are balanced out by having limited health pools. Its great that you can do this massive heal once, but the bigger the heal, the more likely it is to overheal.
Edited by Viena on 7/16/2013 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If true then that substantially effects the stat weight of shaman mastery, and is not something I've seen mentioned in any guide, even advanced one's like the EJ one.

In PvE...

All heals on Earth Shielded target.

All unleashed heals (healing rain being a huge factor here)

All heals with Empower up.

All Chain Heal casts through a Riptide.

In PvP...

The Earth shield -> Unleash Fury heal in the example happens every 15 seconds.
Edited by Bipst on 7/16/2013 7:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
07/16/2013 07:54 AMPosted by Bipst
If true then that substantially effects the stat weight of shaman mastery,

Not really. When % effects stack multiplicatively, the value of each scales proportionally.

Put another way, that 50% mastery contribution will always make the heal 50% bigger than otherwise, no matter how many or few other bonuses you added.
Edited by Nerfheals on 7/16/2013 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Put another way, that 50% mastery contribution will always make the heal 50% bigger than otherwise, no matter how many or few other bonuses you added.

So the 200 stat points needed to get 1% mastery don't have more value with more bonuses?

Those 200 stat points are increasing your healing 1% with no bonuses and 1.3% with unleash. And you're saying the base heal changes from 1 to 1.3 so 1% is 1%?

Just trying to be clear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/16/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Bipst
So the 200 stat points needed to get 1% mastery don't have more value with more bonuses?

It's more valuable in the sense that Mastery will deliver more healing than previously, but conformed to a stat weight, it gains no relative superiority over Haste/Crit/etc because they also scale by these bonuses.

If you calculate the size of a heal using all your stats it might look something like this:

Heal * Haste * Mastery * Crit

If I include the Earth Shield bonus it would now look something like this:

Heal * Haste * Mastery * Crit * 1.2

That 1.2 doesn't discriminately pick out the "Mastery" component and buff it. It just increases your output by another 20%. It may be easier to think of the 20% applying to the Heal first, and then your other modifiers scaling to the new Heal, but know I'm using that as a teaching aid, and it also isn't necessarily true.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Bonuses tend to be calculated additively rather than multiplicatively. There are very few multiplicative buffs in game as they would tend to become ridiculously OP quickly.

Other way around.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

My haste rating from gear is 11517, which converts into a percentage of 27.10%.

When I apply Shadowform I receive the Spell Haste buff. If the Spell Haste buff is additive, then my Haste would move up to 32.10%.

But it doesn't. My Haste becomes 33.45% when I look at the tooltip. Can you guess why?

1.2710 multiplied by 1.05 = 1.3345

Haste rating from gear is additive, and sums up with other haste rating from gear. Then it forms a percentage. This percentage is then multiplied by other sources of Haste such as raid Spell Haste, Bloodlust, Trinket procs, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]