My dps as Protect sucks should I go Ret???

90 Dwarf Paladin
okay I was fine as protection thus far, but now I am finding my flash heal is a joke, and its taking way longer to kill questing mobs.
Should I switch to Ret to max my dps???
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You're way past the point you should be ret if all you're doing is questing.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Rule of thumb is that Ret kills faster, Prot kills more at once; in the end, though, they do about the same amount of work in the same amount of time while leveling, so it's all a matter of preference.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stack haste and you will be surprised.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Yes , I have been away from WoW for 6-8 years and just picked up at lvl 72. Read somewhere that prot was the way to quest to 90.

at the earlier lvls I was amazed at how fast i killed. now Carma has caught up , I am taking more of a beating and taking way longer to finish a lvl88 mob.

I am wondering about Ret, I see they have a damage spell from distance, but I really like throwing my shield , hehe , but Dang i got to go thru like 3 cycles of buttons to make a kill now.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Prot relies on three stats, now - hit, expertise, and haste...Mastery, too, to some extant. Use Blessing of Might, bring up your hit and expertise to make sure your attacks connect, stack haste to reduce your swing timer and ability cooldowns, and use Seal of Insight for survival. You really shouldn't have problems after that. And make frequent use of Shield of the Righteous for massive damage reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Prot relies on three stats, now - hit, expertise, and haste...Mastery, too, to some extant. Use Blessing of Might, bring up your hit and expertise to make sure your attacks connect, stack haste to reduce your swing timer and ability cooldowns, and use Seal of Insight for survival. You really shouldn't have problems after that. And make frequent use of Shield of the Righteous for massive damage reduction.

The other tank in my guild and i were discussing this over the past few days. Just make sure your hit and exp are where they should be, and then just stack the haste on top of it. I concentrate on my DK as my main so this pally is a little behind the times, though i am starting to gear him. My guild mate though has an item level of 497 and completely reforged and gem for haste, and he has seen a considerable increase in DPS as have I, though i don't have anywhere near the gear or haste he has. But i will say this, it really does take the "is it dead yet" thoughts away when you stack haste.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If you are still leveling the you really have 3 choices.

Questing: respec ret and finish leveling
Questing: prot - pull more stuff. You can't get haste levels at 88 to do serious dps, vengeance will help that. If you are killing one mob at a time, just respec ret
Dungeons: run them till your eyes bleed as prot

88-90 really only takes a few hours now either way
Edited by Souledin on 7/18/2013 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]