holy priest, Cascade vs halo?

90 Tauren Druid
Thoughts? I love aoe healing, especially the sheer throughput of heals a holy can put out, which one should i go with given the playstyle i prefer?

Thanks gentleman! :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It really depends on the specific fight and your own preferences. I don't really use Cascade much in ToT with the exception of Dark Animus.

Divine Star tends to be better than both in a lot of ToT fights though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
If you want the highest burst, Halo wins by a pretty serious margin, but that requires ideal placement. You also have to consider that though it has high healing, you get the healing less often due to its CD.

Divine Star is good and potent for its short CD, Casacde has a tendency to not be very effective.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
It depends on the encounter. Here is my breakdown by encounter:
Jin'rokh - Divine Star
Horrdion - Cascade
Council- Halo
Tortos - Halo
Megaera - Divine Star
Ji-Kun - Divine Star for nests halo if not nest (or cascade if ten man)
Durumu - Cascade
Primordious - Halo
Dark Animus - Cascade
Iron Qon - Divine Star
Twin Consorts - Does it matter for these guys? O.O
Lei - Shen - Divine Star if struggling with transition damage, Halo otherwise.
Edited by Winnifred on 7/21/2013 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oops-- posted in the wrong thread. Sorry!
Edited by Unicornkitty on 7/21/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
It also depends on the size of raid. For example, for our 25 Dark Animus, I'd use Halo, because I noticed half of the Cascade jumps ended up healing pets. When I heal 10m, I'd have less concern of pet healing with Cascade.

Your fellow healers could also affect the effectiveness of Cascade. If your co-healers are good at topping people off, rather than absorbs, the last jumps of Cascade could have a lot of overhealing, unless in continuous heavy aoe damage phases.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Even in 10m the only reason I use Cascade for Dark Animus is to refresh my Renew blanket. The heal itself takes forever to actually land so chances are good it'll be a lot of overheal anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
It also depends on the size of raid. For example, for our 25 Dark Animus, I'd use Halo, because I noticed half of the Cascade jumps ended up healing pets. When I heal 10m, I'd have less concern of pet healing with Cascade.

It heals:

Wild Imps
Hunter Pets
Warlock Pets
The stupid Warlock portals
And...TOTEMS!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
whoops, i have a 90 priest, i prefer holy, yeah i had no idea that cascade also heals pets, totems, portals and wild imps...

i think ill go with halo
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I find cascade to be a mana drain in any fight. I actually swap back and forth depending on the fight. Unlike most holy priests I stat different Spirit (1350) > Haste (4721 w/ renew glyph) > Crit (I dont like mastery lol) Hope this helps

Heroics:
Jin'Rock - Divine Star
Horridon - Divine Star
Council - Halo
Tortos - Halo (as it builds shields I use right before the stomp)
Ji'kun - divine star
Iron Quon - Halo
(Those are the only ones I have done heroic)

Normal:
I pretty much follow the same pattern.
Durumu - divine star (helps while running)
Promethius - Divine Star
Twins - halo
and final boss I use Divine Star again.

Hope that helps. here is a list of World of Logs so you can see the reason for eachs effectivness. They have also ranked me and they were mostly my top heals.

Jin'Rohk 25H:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3w2bkfyt0o9r9s52/

Horridon 25H:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1nk2moc8o2g1kcom/

Horridon 25N:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2zrdyr5m6cqji0nz/

Lie Shen 10N
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7w8wrc2qo03odl5q/

I have other ranks, however, I didn't want to post to many.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
yeah see its always changing I keep stacks on me for each fight as I change often. It also depends on the other healers you have.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I generally just use Halo.

People who don't like Mastery as Holy make me sad. :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I generally just use Halo.

People who don't like Mastery as Holy make me sad. :(

I love halo.

I mainly use it for fights like tortos (for both disc and now for holy on heroic) it's just so spiffy looking :o I feel like a little nuclear blast of heals.

(I've thought about going crit for holy just because I mainly do disc :P)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I choose crit over mastery, because mastery just sucked. My husband also heals on MW monk but also runs his holy priest. He went crit and I was mastery.... His barely geared toon was killing my mastery.... So I swapped to crit.... Now I have killer heals again, mastery is like asking to be a druid. As a holy priest I dont just use sanctuary I use serinity to. I stance dance in many fights. We have 2 druids already. Staying crit over mastery allows my heals to be massive and they still allow my echo of light at the top.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I dont raid in disc. but I do dps and dungeon in it, and sometimes if needed I will swap to it, but really if you have 1 disc in gruop its pointless to use 2 lol plus it just sucks up everyones heals. On Tortos heroic our disc healer has been swapping to holy because of the killer heals. n disc doesn't help much since you already get a shield on heroic tortos.

My husband puts all of our kills up at www.youtube.com/raidhealing He is the MW monk and im the Holy Priest.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I choose crit over mastery, because mastery just sucked. My husband also heals on MW monk but also runs his holy priest. He went crit and I was mastery.... His barely geared toon was killing my mastery.... So I swapped to crit.... Now I have killer heals again, mastery is like asking to be a druid. As a holy priest I dont just use sanctuary I use serinity to. I stance dance in many fights. We have 2 druids already. Staying crit over mastery allows my heals to be massive and they still allow my echo of light at the top.

Mastery does not suck. If Mastery "sucks," you're doing it wrong.

My Mastery HoT is often my top heal in progression fights. It is amazing.

Also, since you're raiding 25 mans, why are you in Serenity at all? Why are you doing single-target heals? Holy Priests in a 15 man setting are raid healers, not tank healers. Why you would stance dance and gimp your throughput is beyond me when that shouldn't be your role in a 25 man setting.

By the way, your heals weren't "awesome" because you're gemming pure Spirit in 536 gear. If you gemmed for throughput instead of pure Spirit (which you could do if you weren't taking non-Spirit gear), you'd be doing a lot better.
Edited by Tiriel on 7/21/2013 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I almost always use Cascade because it's so pretty.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I gem spirit in some gear but not all my gear. LOL I only use spirit gems in my socket bonus or any full blue spots which there are not many. AS you will note on my gear, I actually have quite a bit of pieces with no spirit on them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I dont just run 25 mans I do 10 mans. Hence for a stance dance is also important. I like to use my entire toon. Mastery doesn't work for me. As an all around healer I prefer crit. Its different for everyone. But my heals are great and right where I want them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]