When does healing become challenging?

46 Night Elf Druid
This is my first healer toon and just dinged 40 last night and have been resto since 10. I've quested some but mainly dungeon healing. My question is... at what level does healing become hard? Even when the tank is mass pulling, I can keep him and the rest of the party alive. I think I've only had 2-3 deaths during my leveling. I don't use any add ons, just mouseover macros and raid frames. While I love healing and its so refreshing versus dps, I want a challenge. I love when the tank pulls hard as it gives me something to do. Is 5 mans just not it? Am I going to have to wait for raids?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Wait until dungeons at the "end" of each expansion bracket, you will be coming up on blackrock depths and spire here shortly), and then starting in the cata instances and pandaria ones you will run into some trickier challenges.
Reply Quote
Healing while leveling is rarely a challenge other than a bit during Cata dungeons due to the high increase of health pools relative to heals. MoP dungeons (normal and heroic) go back to faceroll mode, though, unless you get a terrible tank who pulls everything like a derp in Shado-pan Monastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah I've been coasting pretty nicely (this is my 4th healer) and my first time running through old Vanilla instance since Cata hit.

Let me tell you, LBRS is gonna give you some challenge. Mostly because it becomes important for people to pay attention to mobs that run away to other rooms and aggro ENTIRE ROOMS OF 700 THINGS.

There are also many mobs in LBRS and UBRS that area stun/hex/silence, and hit hard as hell. Going in there are level 57 and getting hit by old school lvl 60 orc mobs with shields and swords can actually be dangerous.

I don't know if it's a mental thing, but I always have this feeling/philosophy about some dungeon flavors.

Trolls? Tons of Patrols!! (Patrollolol)
Orcs? Will hit HARD and destroy clothies, frequent knock downs.
Edited by Unicorns on 7/20/2013 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Pretty much not until normal raids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Healing generally becomes challenging when your fellow party members start acting like idiots.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This is my first healer toon and just dinged 40 last night and have been resto since 10. I've quested some but mainly dungeon healing. My question is... at what level does healing become hard? Even when the tank is mass pulling, I can keep him and the rest of the party alive. I think I've only had 2-3 deaths during my leveling. I don't use any add ons, just mouseover macros and raid frames. While I love healing and its so refreshing versus dps, I want a challenge. I love when the tank pulls hard as it gives me something to do. Is 5 mans just not it? Am I going to have to wait for raids?

you should try low level pvp and go against prot warriors
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Healing generally becomes challenging when your fellow party members start acting like idiots.

This. I'm leveling a druid, now into the late 50's, and groups with spaz-tastic derps make it difficult to heal dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
1) If your group is full of idiots
2) Probably the very very last couple wrath dungeons. Moreso Cata dungeons, though nothing is gonna push you very hard if you get good groups until raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You'll also undoubtedly run into lvl 58-60 DK tanks who have not a sweet clue as to how to tank, and very little grasp on their own class mechanics.

Don't get me wrong - not all fresh-out-of-the-DK-starting-area DKs are clueless. There are absolutely some who've read the tooltips of their abilities and have put the important ones where they'll have access to using them properly.

But there will also be those who've perhaps never even played a level-capped toon before. there will be those who might never have played a *melee* toon before. Many will certainly never have played on a tank before. Some will even decide to queue as tank without having tank gear or even running in Blood presence, because "lol this is faceroll stuff and I have all my DK starting area blue gear" (tip - it actually *is* possible to run a successful 5man with a DK not running tank spec in their DK starting area blue gear... *if* t the group has more advanced knowledge of how to play their classes and what to do in each specific pull of the dungeon... but one weak link, and it can all go to hell incredibly quickly, in that situation).

Other than that, the actual *content* of the 5mans doesn't start to get challenging until maybe Mogu'shan Palace and Shado-pan Monastery, at lvl 87. And even then, it's still not terribly challenging unless you get a group with people who don't know what they're doing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It actually never does. Just keep leveling and you'll probably become the best healer on the planet!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Pretty sure they purposely made healing easy and OP to encourage more people to take up the role. Even then a lot of people still do it poorly.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you want more of a challenge you should jump into some random BGs. A good way to approach random BGs if you're new is to quickly inspect a few people, pick someone who you think has the highest health/best gear, and follow them around the whole time. If they die and you don't pick someone else close by who is taking damage. Sometimes people will notice your effort and will actually start to peel for you in turn! Its probably the only thing you can do that's harder than dungeons until you hit max level, that's when they give you the secret cookies.
Edited by Anoru on 7/20/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
not until heroic 5 mans where your gear wont match the mana costs of your spells
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Let me tell you, LBRS is gonna give you some challenge. Mostly because it becomes important for people to pay attention to mobs that run away to other rooms and aggro ENTIRE ROOMS OF 700 THINGS.

I just did LBRS on my brewmaster, and it was the first time I ever saw moderate stagger. (Stagger percentage is pretty low when you don't have mastery yet, but mainly I think it's just that all the lower dungeons were just that undertuned.) So I'd say it's definitely a step up from other vanilla content -- although perhaps not to the extent Cata dungeons are.

Also one of the bosses has a really long lasting hex, so if the healer isn't aware enough to dispel it, it's going to be trouble. (Sadly, my healer wasn't that aware on the first attempt, but they improved and we beat the boss eventually. It didn't help that I hadn't done that instance enough to know that it was a dispellable mechanic and point it out to the healer before the pull.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/20/2013 09:39 PMPosted by Calonderiel

I just did LBRS on my brewmaster, and it was the first time I ever saw moderate stagger. (Stagger percentage is pretty low when you don't have mastery yet, but mainly I think it's just that all the lower dungeons were just that undertuned.) So I'd say it's definitely a step up from other vanilla content -- although perhaps not to the extent Cata dungeons are.

Also one of the bosses has a really long lasting hex, so if the healer isn't aware enough to dispel it, it's going to be trouble. (Sadly, my healer wasn't that aware on the first attempt, but they improved and we beat the boss eventually. It didn't help that I hadn't done that instance enough to know that it was a dispellable mechanic and point it out to the healer before the pull.)

Bahaha. Yes. The first time I went through it we had a tank with such bad lag he spent like 90% of his time standing still and going "srry lag" every 1.5 minutes. The boss basically chain hexed the entire group over and over, so me and the dps would all be hexed at the same time while the boss hit the tank or sometimes hexed him also. Shockingly we killed it but it took for.ev.er.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
lvl 80, once cata normals become available. Previous to this you don't really need to read what's in your spellbook to get by. Afterward it helps to get a handle on your class mechanics because not doing so will lead to slow painful progression with lots and lots of party deaths.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Wave: 7
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're going into a new expansion where neither you nor any other person in the group are wearing BoAs or end-expansion BoEs, you'll start seeing some trouble healing in the beginning Cata dungeons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]