Why are my healing spells so weak?

90 Human Paladin
I haven't played since Cataclysm and decided to try a Paladin healer. I got this guy to 90 a few days ago and have mostly been doing heroics. I have been having a problem with some fights where the tank's HP doesn't move or steadily goes down while I spam all of my instants and my biggest heals.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just Blizzard's new healing model where everyone has huge health pools, everything hits like a truck, and healing spells heal for nothing while costing an outrageous amount of mana?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I'm curious as well. I had the same problem, got discouraged, and switched to ret.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you going OOM?

Edit: after my brain thought about that question I realized it was probably...obvious you are.

Yes, paladins have a pretty hard time healing in heroic gear. You'll notice your raid heals in LFR are much more effective than single target/5 man heals.

You might find it easier to spam holy light and only fill in with a big/expensive heal when you get behind; your mastery gives a shield for healing done, so don't worry too much about overhealing.
Edited by Morafym on 7/20/2013 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Are you going OOM?
Close to it on bosses like the last one in Mogu'shan Palace.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/20/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Haduin
Are you going OOM?
Close to it on bosses like the last one in Mogu'shan Palace.

Also: paladin healing is very different than it used to be; i healed in wrath and cata, and it took some getting used to how MoP pally healing works. You probably *need* to melee with seal of insight, and use crusader strike for word of glory. I would highly recommend the Icy Veins breakdown of holy paladin, changed my whole rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/20/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Morafym
You probably *need* to melee with seal of insight, and use crusader strike for word of glory.
That is really disappointing to hear. One of my reasons for making a healer was to get rid of doing damage and get out of melee range all together.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Many tanks in LFD seem to have no idea of their own mitigation and self-healing, and are undergeared to boot, which makes them an ordeal to heal. DPS taking avoidable damage (Xin the Weaponmaster has A LOT of avoidable damage) is also a big culprit.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Holy Paladin single target heals are the lowest because of beacon of light and balancing issues. Make sure you get the most out of your abilities. ie. pop hand of sacrifice and divine protection while you divine plea
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy Paladin single target heals are the lowest because of beacon of light and balancing issues. Make sure you get the most out of your abilities. ie. pop hand of sacrifice and divine protection while you divine plea
Overall this class has felt like a disappointment to me. I should have made a priest or a druid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I should have made a priest or a druid.

I'm not trying to turn you off from paladins, but I also play a resto druid and their HoT style of healing is really, really fun. Proactive healing vs reactive healing, very in-depth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/21/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Kaskarum
I should have made a priest or a druid.

I'm not trying to turn you off from paladins, but I also play a resto druid and their HoT style of healing is really, really fun. Proactive healing vs reactive healing, very in-depth.
I played a resto druid in WotLK and part of Cataclysm. I had a blast then. I'm not sure how much it has changed since then. I am seriously considering that, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had a similar problem when I first started healing at 90. It smoothed out a lot once I got to ilvl 470 and now that I'm in the 480's Heroics are a cakewalk no matter what the tank does. Tag along in LFR and get some reputation epics from factions and you should notice a big difference soon. Also get some enchants on that gear. You are missing a lot of extra healing by not having that. Other than that I noticed it takes a long time to learn the in's and out's of healing as a pally and maximizing the use of all your abilities. I still haven't got it all figured out and I healed all the way through lich king in wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You are a fresh 90 with terrible unenchanted gear. It is not just paladins, all healing classes are toughest fresh 90 with bad gear. The more gear you get the easier it becomes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Pallies are a bit gear dependent. 20 ilvls will "double" your healing power. Getting the sequencing right on your heal spells will modify it as well, and mana becomes less of an issue in 5 man fights.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/20/2013 10:58 PMPosted by Haduin
You probably *need* to melee with seal of insight, and use crusader strike for word of glory.
That is really disappointing to hear. One of my reasons for making a healer was to get rid of doing damage and get out of melee range all together.

In lore... paladins have always been holy warriors. You should have expected this.

In all honestly, it's annoying it hasn't been this case even more in the past.

Protip though, playing holy we used to melee for mana in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In lore... paladins have always been holy warriors. You should have expected this.
It seems like that role was already filled for retribution paladins...
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I found healing on my Paladin fresh at 90 was horrifying. Get better gear and make sure you take advantage of holy power and beacon. I don't really go into melee much unless I'm bored. I just have better gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I never had that much of a problem running MsV with just a few pieces of LFR and the rest in Heroic blues (I think a trinket was still normal blue, but whatever). Just looking at your gear, I can see that you're not really enchanted, and just having cheap enchants on everything to get by is still quite a bit of stats your missing.

Glyph-wise, you've still got an empty slot. Pop in something like Beacon of Light or Lay on Hands and you'll find yourself enjoying it a lot more. The Beacon glyph takes it off the GCD so you're free to move the Beacon around whenever you can/want/need to. Lay on Hands glyph will give you back 10% mana when you use it, and who doesn't like free mana? If I could suggest another, Glyph of Divine Plea makes it into a single-cast instant-mana-back spell rather than having your healing reduced by 50% while you regain it all back slowly.

I've also noticed mana a lot easier to keep up by using my cooldowns as soon as possible. Divine Plea as soon as you get to 80%, then as close to on cooldown afterwards.

A glance at your talents, and I was just wondering if you switch them often as per encounter? Hand of Purity is an amazing spell and all, but in MsV there just isn't a lot of places where it would be useful. I'd prefer Clemency for the Hand of Sacrifice and Hand of Protection, personally but it really does boil down to taste. Also, Light's Prism vs Light's Hammer (side note: even though it's on a 1 minute CD, it costs no mana!) are very close and really depend on the encounter: stacking vs spreading.

07/20/2013 10:58 PMPosted by Haduin

Melee-ing is only if you're having trouble with your mana. The mana back per swing helps a lot when a fight is taking a long time and there's a bit of a lull in damage. Rather than that, you could just gem pure spirit until your gear starts providing enough naturally and picking up some mana conserving glyphs (Divine Plea, Lay on Hands) to help out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you balancing your Eternal flames like you should be? with divine purpose its very easy to use very little mana and only use Eternal flame to keep a grp up during a pull, trust me with more spirit and mastery it gets a lot easier ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing is extremely underwhelming these days...

It's harder to notice on a druid, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]