Which abilities hit hardest?

93 Dwarf Paladin
Judgment scales from sword of light's bonus 2h damage, exorcism doesn't, that's why they scale differently.

So I finally decided to go and test this - used a Two-Handed Sword and an Icesmashing Mace for the test. Judging both using Insight (no Seal procs or Censure to muck things up), both weapons turned out the exact same number on Judgement.

The only way Judgement scales with weapon damage is related to Truth hits.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Even if it Exo does hit less then judgement, which I really want to test before I start changing my rotation, You would still want to prioritize it over Judgement because of the T15 2piece bonus.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Ehh...EJ looked into that, too, when the discrepancy was first noticed and they decided that 6% wasn't all that much in the grand scheme. Which really does suck to have to waste a set bonus like that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/24/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Judgment scales from sword of light's bonus 2h damage, exorcism doesn't, that's why they scale differently.

So I finally decided to go and test this - used a Two-Handed Sword and an Icesmashing Mace for the test. Judging both using Insight (no Seal procs or Censure to muck things up), both weapons turned out the exact same number on Judgement.

The only way Judgement scales with weapon damage is related to Truth hits.

The question is whether it gets the Sword of Light multiplier, not whether it scales directly with weapon damage.

Fortunately, this should still be easy to test: just check Judgment damage unarmed, and then again with a 2h.
When I did this just now (all procs unequipped, of course), I got these numbers:
Unarmed: 19483-19484
Flamberge: 25328-25329

...which is 1.300005 times as much, suspiciously similar to the Sword of Light multiplier. This was with 31382 AP and 15691 SP. By the coefficients, that's
623+.546*15691+.328*31382 = 19483.6
which perfectly matches the unarmed damage.

So it does indeed appear that Judgment benefits from Sword of Light.
Edited by Ravicana on 7/24/2013 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
So it does indeed appear that Judgment benefits from Sword of Light.

Ah. Huh. Okay, well, that's really cool but incredibly weird.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
They must've changed it in 5.2 or 5.3, then. I know that when I tested this before, Judgment didn't benefit from it (the damage was exactly the same with and without Sword of Light). Now it's 30% higher as Ret.

Also I just checked Exorcism versus Judgment and (with only Might) Exorcism still hits a bit harder than Judgment+Truth at my gear level (although it was roughly equal to the lower-end Exorcism hits).
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
With my 34k attack power, J+SoT hits just slightly harder than Exo (~32k vs ~30k). Presumably, buffs and procs would push it further ahead.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
07/24/2013 08:52 PMPosted by Keten
at my gear level

Get on my level, bro! ^_^

Looking at my logs for average hits of each, the gap does appear to be getting much narrower - though it can vary wildly week-to-week based on RNG.

Also, delete all posts regarding SwoL affecting Judgement before it goes the way of Seal hit counting as melee attacks for procs!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Well, if Pancake is right about Exorcism scaling better with attack power, procs and buffs should push Exorcism ahead.

Still, if they're so close, I would think that between Art of War and 2T15 Exorcism should still pull ahead overall. It seems like a notable loss of Holy Power generation if nothing else.

Hey, you said it shifts around at ToT LFR level, which I'm slightly beyond. :P
Edited by Keten on 7/24/2013 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Pancake's 60.1% doesn't include Sword of Light, though. With a 1.3 multiplier, 60.1% becomes 78.13%, which is actually higher than Exo's 67.7%. (That's why Judgment can compete despite ~6k less base damage.)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Oh, right. That would push Judgment's damage further ahead then.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
07/24/2013 09:05 PMPosted by Keten

Hey, you said it shifts around at ToT LFR level, which I'm slightly beyond. :P

Well, that's what Exemplar guessed at, anyway. Considering this was all discovered by an heroic raider simming in heroic gear, and I don't recall anyone actually running the sims/numbers in different gear sets, it's impossible to determine where the exact breakpoint is. It's probably a very peculiar function of AP similar to what makes ES better than HPr past a certain buff point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]