Healing question

39 Worgen Druid
Sorry if my question is ridiculous. I've never healed long enough to know if I like it, and I'd like to try healing and giving it more time on this character.

My question is regarding addons / keybinds. I'd likely be more interested in healing if it wasn't such a necessity, the thought of an addon messing up (encountering a bug, etc) ending with me failing is just so unattractive, but I am willing to look past that.

Some of the addons I've seen involve clicking, like healbot. I am assuming (please correct me if I am wrong) that it is best to use keybindings to heal for better reaction times. But then I thought what a pain that would be, having to have a different keybind to target each individual party / raid member. Mouseover seems 100% necessary, and my question: if the goal of using keybinds rather than clicking is to have better reaction times, does it even make any difference because you are using mouseover macros / addons / whatever?

I am mostly curious about this because if any player ever out there confesses to clicking rather than using keybindings, they are savagely torn apart by the WoW community.

Or is there a better alternative to mouseover healing that involves keybinding?
Reply Quote
12 Blood Elf Priest
I think you're misunderstanding what people are talking about when they say clicking is bad. When people refer to clicking being bad they are referring to clicking a target, then clicking a spell's button to heal. The reason this is bad is pretty obvious and this is what they're referring to with reaction times (you spend too much time moving the mouse to/from the target and spell). They aren't referring to raid frame replacements like vudo or healbot.

Clicking on raid frames negates the speed issue and from a logistics standpoint is pretty much even with mouseover macros. In both cases you move the mouse pointer over the raid frame for the intended target. Basically the only difference is do you click a mouse or press a key once the pointer gets there. Obviously, there's not a big speed difference there. Go with whichever feels more natural to you.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Sort of got lost trying to follow your train of thought, so if I'm off on the answer, I'm sorry.

If I read it right, you are curious if you can get by with one thing, rather than juggling many, by way of keybindings, macros, or add-ons. If that is the question, yes you can get by. In fact, you do not NEED to use anything. Find what is comfortable with your playstyle. The worst thing you can possibly do, as a new healer, is try to copycat a seasoned healer, because you will spend weeks/months struggling to mimic them, rather than find your own grove.

There are a number of healers, across all forms of content that do things their way. Some use keybindings and macros. Some just use add-ons. Some use all three. The thing that makes them all the same is they found what works for them, found what makes them comfortable.

That said, never be afraid to try new things. I don't run add-ons myself just macros and keybindings, but any time a new content patch happens, or a new healing add-on comes out, I download stuff and see how it works. Usually, I uninstall them and move on, content that at least I have some experience with what people are discussing on the forums, but now and then, I find something useful... something I would recommend to a fellow healer. Same with macros and bindings, might not keep new stuff, but I keep somewhat informed.
Edited by Vear on 7/24/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
You don't need to use an addon to heal. You will need an addon if you want to bind mouse clicks for just raid/unit frames. Mouseover macros are very simple to make if you want independence from addons. Or you can click targets then press the keybind for the heal, that's more than fine while leveling + low level dungeons (maybe not bgs).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Personally, if you're shopping for addons while you decide what works best for you, I recommend trying out VuhDo. I just find it easier to look at and set up than others.

Another thing that helps is having a mouse with at least 5 buttons, counting the wheel, so you don't have to worry about, say, Shift + click is your small heal and cntrl + click your instant, and you mix them up in your haste and someone dies. D:

I really don't macro or keybind anything; I do click my cds when I need them (such as my Guardian or Wings), but my vuhdo window is right next to my vertical action bar, so my mouse isn't going far enough to make a difference.
Edited by Aubrye on 7/24/2013 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I started out healing with the standard Blizz frames from wayyy back in Vanilla and I selected each target then used a hotkey to heal. It worked pretty well but once I downloaded Healbot I never went back to that method of healing. After using Healbot for most of Wrath, I tried out Vuhdo and have been using that ever since.

Like others have said - find what works best for you. You're starting out so you are learning healing on top of potentially learning how to set up an addon. Maybe just use what in the standard UI for now and branch out a bit once you have a better grasp on healing itself.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
ome of the addons I've seen involve clicking, like healbot. I am assuming (please correct me if I am wrong) that it is best to use keybindings to heal for better reaction times. But then I thought what a pain that would be, having to have a different keybind to target each individual party / raid member. Mouseover seems 100% necessary, and my question: if the goal of using keybinds rather than clicking is to have better reaction times, does it even make any difference because you are using mouseover macros / addons / whatever?

Some add-ons have built-in mouser-overs that target. What this means is if you want to cast a spell on someone in your party/raid you simply hover your mouse over them and push your heal button/mouse ket etc. Not to mention having the ability to bind spells directly through the add-on.

Here is a 5-man showing what VuhDo healing frames can provide for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wil6o0oJvyM
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Fastest healing cannot do without addon.

Some heal without addon, just use mouseover macro and default UI. This need 2 actions: moving mouse and pressing the key keybind to the macro. If got 10 healing spell, then need to put all 10 healing spell on action bar so that to press easier.

By using addon like Vuhdo, we don need to put all (only lilttle) healing spell mouseover macro on action bar. All healing spell can be set in the addon.

Addon let us to see the buffs and debuff much clearer than the default Raid UI.
Addon let us to sort the raid in wat we like, can show many panels.
Addon can let us dispell much much much easier than without addon.

With addon like weakauras, we can track LMG proc, make fully use of it. We can track how many ppl get the buff. Like MW, it is very important to know number of ppl get RM buff so that TFT at the right time.

All very good healers will use addon. It is impossible to heal the best WITHOUT USING ANY ADDON.
Edited by Xingling on 7/24/2013 10:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Personally, if you're shopping for addons while you decide what works best for you, I recommend trying out VuhDo. I just find it easier to look at and set up than others.

Another thing that helps is having a mouse with at least 5 buttons, counting the wheel, so you don't have to worry about, say, Shift + click is your small heal and cntrl + click your instant, and you mix them up in your haste and someone dies. D:

I really don't macro or keybind anything; I do click my cds when I need them (such as my Guardian or Wings), but my vuhdo window is right next to my vertical action bar, so my mouse isn't going far enough to make a difference.

Just wanted to comment, VuhDo isn't all that friendly to set up. It looks very foreign out of the box.

Healbot is another click-to-cast addon and is much friendlier out of the box. Just go to your Healbot menu and type your spells in. Don't need to do any major raid frame adjustments other than selecting your preference of raid/group/BG

Don't get me wrong, I love and use VuhDo, but I spent a few hours setting it up the way I wanted. That blue and white menu threw me for a loop for some reason.
Edited by Dailee on 7/25/2013 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
All very good healers will use addon. It is impossible to heal the best WITHOUT USING ANY ADDON.

Is Gamex still around?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Is Gamex still around?

Yep he is.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I've tried mouseovers, but for me it's so much easier to just have my heals bound to mouse buttons and use VuhDo.

Set up has never taken me longer than an hour. I recently re-set it up for a shaman alt. The most important bit is setting each mouse click + ctrl/alt/shift modifiers to your spell liking. After that, play around with buff/debuff settings, sizing, ordering, etc.

My VuhDo clicks ...

Left Mouse: Regrowth
Right Mouse: Rejuvenation
Center Mouse: Swiftmend
Button 4: Lifebloom
Button 5: Wild Growth
CTRL-Left: Healing Touch (Macro'd with NS)
CTRL-Right: Nature's Cure
CTRL-Center: Ironbark

My utility spells, as well as mushrooms, trinkets, Tranquility and Innervate get a 1-5 (plus some modifier) keybinds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Sweeping generalization that is not helpful or productive... and is also incorrect. Please stop imposing this belief on new healers.

Add-ons are helpful (most of them), but not required.
Edited by Vear on 7/25/2013 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

Absolutely false. I would argue the other way, in fact. Addons are absolutely helpful in most circumstances. But when it comes down to clutch circumstances, nothing beats the decision making power of the well-trained human mind.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Druid
Mmk, thank you all so much for the help!

What I will do is similar to what Mahram said:

I selected each target then used a hotkey to heal. It worked pretty well but once I downloaded Healbot I never went back to that method of healing. After using Healbot for most of Wrath, I tried out Vuhdo and have been using that ever since.

Just to get used to + learn healing on this druid, etc. Then gradually, I will start working myself into using addons (closer to 90) to have a better understanding on how they help, rather than feeling forced to right away.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Just to get used to + learn healing on this druid, etc. Then gradually, I will start working myself into using addons (closer to 90) to have a better understanding on how they help, rather than feeling forced to right away.

Don't worry, you're never forced to. They just help by taking a bit of your "working memory" space out of your head and putting it into the machine, leaving you more brainpower to do other stuff, like not stand in fire. And really, in any 10 man raid (even most heroics), you should be able to handle that stuff all on your own...with practice.

But give 'em a shot some day, see if you like 'em. I tried Grid once way way way back in BC and absolutely hated it...then Blizz "fixed" the default raid frames and I've never looked back. Personal choice :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Mmk, thank you all so much for the help!

What I will do is similar to what Mahram said:

I selected each target then used a hotkey to heal. It worked pretty well but once I downloaded Healbot I never went back to that method of healing. After using Healbot for most of Wrath, I tried out Vuhdo and have been using that ever since.

Thanks again.

one thing you can do is try out something like healbot and just start using it as a raid frame. you dont have to bind heals to mouse buttons right off the bat.

i always leave left click as target player anyways so i can click a frame and heal with my binds or i can just click over the raid frame depending on what kind of movement i need to keep up at the time.

i dont think you get many people making binds for each party member outside of arena teams going for rating, even for a 10 man raid that would be a pita.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/25/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Kakana

Absolutely false. I would argue the other way, in fact. Addons are absolutely helpful in most circumstances. But when it comes down to clutch circumstances, nothing beats the decision making power of the well-trained human mind.

This is very true. Addons don't save the day, your actions do. :)

OP: I have all my healing spells keybound and also use Vuhdo - have for years now. It can feel a bit foreign at first but you will get used to it. I would suggest standing in a city and practicing to get the feel for it. Even when I switch toons I normally run through my settings before queuing so my mind isn't confused.

Vuhdo of course has gone down with patches here and there and that's why all my spells are keybound. It's a bit more of a pain, and it feels so slow to me now, but I am capable of doing without.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
07/25/2013 07:37 AMPosted by Dailee

Is Gamex still around?

Raaaah!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I just use Vuhdo and heal with the buttons on the side of my mouse honestly.

Vuhdo has a lot of customization to it. You can bind heals to it if you want to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]