Divine Purpose Talent not working right?

90 Draenei Paladin
Anyone else notice that the talent Divine Purpose doesn't seem to trigger anywhere near as often as 25% like the tool tip claims. I just went to dummies and clicked on one ability to generate a Holy Power, then on Eternal Flame to use a charge of Holy Power (thus attempting to trigger Divine Purpose). Out of 50, uses, I only got 4. Which is less than 10 percent...technically I did get a 5th on, on attempt number 50, and triggering my 4th Divine Purpose, I used it which immediately triggered a 5th. (Which I've noticed for a long time now that it seems to go in bursts, I'll get 3 or 4 sometimes 5 Divine Purposes proc'ing off each other, rather than off my "regular" Holy Power using things.)

Anyone else notice this oddity? or is my luck just terrible?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey Dueteronomy,

Well, it seems to me that you went up to a dummy, only got ONE holy power, and then cast your HP spender to try to get a DP proc. But wouldn't it be extremely over powered to just spam 1 holy power abilities and then receive a free 3 HP ability by chance?

The way blizzard fixed this, and what the tooltip does not include is that when casting a 3 holy power finisher, such as SoTR, or WoG/EF, THEN you have a 25% chance to proc a free finisher. Sadly, with only 1 HP finishers, they have reduced the percentage of you getting it to near impossible.

-Myth
Edited by Mythsyn on 7/21/2013 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ahh ok, and if they did that, that's cool. The tooltip doesn't mention that so I had no reason to suspect it worked any other way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
To be specific, it's around 8% chance at 1 Holy Power and 16% chance at 2 Holy Power.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Good to know! Now I know why it's never worked for me!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Divine Purpose is one of those RNG (Random Number Generator) talents.

It's either go off a crap ton or do absolutely nothing for a good while.

Don't let the 25% chance mislead you. That just tells it's chance on that individual occurence you use Holy Power. It is all RNG.

Yes, it can proc off of procing itself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I thought they fixed that.
Reply Quote
97 Human Paladin
07/21/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Solviras

And destroy the talent completely? Why would they?

As for me, I know the other talents are mathematically better, but I like the way Divine Purpose feels.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I've always stood by DP. I liked the sporadic, unpredictable nature of it, and it felt good to chain them together. My own personal record stands at 12 in a row.

I've been converted to SW, though. Chain casting HoW is surprisingly effective.

... But yeah, the tooltip isn't exactly specific and it could probably benefit from a more detailed explanation. I think it'd be better if the chance were somewhere in the area of 10% per charge consumed, giving it a cap of 30%. It'd be a bit of a buff, but it might make DP a more attractive option.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I only used it when healing and noticed it would seem to chain for me then I'd get none for a minute or two and it would chain again. Not always but I recall after some fights thinking it hardly proc'd. It's sometimes nice when you get 3 or 4 Eternal Flames off in a row though to dot up the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Here's what I see from Ra-den for the last month. It's the only fight that I use DP over Holy Avenger.

It procced 7 times for me on Ra-den last night(0 week ago). 5:33 fight.
40 Eternal Flames were cast
5 Light of Dawn were cast
102 Holy Power gained.
40+5-7 = 38 of my EF/LoDs used holy power for an average of 2.68 holy power per spell.
I should proc around 9.5 if the chance is a direct 25%. If it is based on holy power consumed, that chance should be around 8.5 divine purpose procs.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-owsc3yhwa4qlek9z/details/173/?s=14629&e=14961

It procced 16 times the week before (1 week ago). 6:00 fight
45 Eternal Flame were cast
9 Light of Dawn were cast
111 Holy Power gained
45+9-16 = 38 of EF/LoDs were used for holy power for an average of 2.92 holy power per spell.

If the chance is a direct 25% per spell cast, I should have had 9.5 procs. If it's based on the holy power cast, I should have had around 9 procs. I got super lucky on this kill.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-koif2l3p5vi5ybt4/details/108/?s=16796&e=17157

It procced 9 times the week before that (2 weeks ago). The fight was 5:44
37 Eternal Flames were cast.
9 Light of Dawn were cast.
102 Holy Power gained.
37+9-7 = 39 of my EF/LoDs used holy power for an average 2.6 holy power per spell.

If the chance is a direct 25% per spell cast with holy power, I should have 9-10 free casts isntead of the 7 I gained. If it is based on the amount of holy power consumed, the number should be around 8-9 Divine Purpose procs. So this one was pretty close.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-yuu7wbyds7wh4be4/details/15/?s=15697&e=16041

It procced 18 times the week before that (3 weeks ago). Fight was 6:11
45 Etenral Flame
17 Light of Dawn
108 Holy power
45+17-18 = 44 EF/LoDs consumed holy power, average 2.45 per

Direct 25% chance = 11 procs. If based on holy power with 8% chance per holy power, around 9 procs. I got lucky on the procs here as well.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qh3bqoltdh0ircp6/details/9/?s=17152&e=17524

Week 0 should have had 8 to 10 procs and had 7. A little low.
Week 2 should have procced 7 to 9 procs and had 9. About right.
Both holy power spent per spell was similar. 2.6 in week 0 and 2.68 in week 1.

Week 1 should have procced around 9 procs, but procced 16. Very high.
Week 3 should have procced 9 to 11 procs, but procced 18. Very high.
Holy power spent per spell in week 1 was 2.9 and holy power spell in week 3 was 2.45. Pretty heavy variance.

I don't have many logs and the fights aren't really long enough to give anything conclusive, but it looks to be proccing correctly based on this. Let me know if I messed anything up.

07/21/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Solviras

It can still proc off of itself. Evidence here:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qh3bqoltdh0ircp6/xe/?s=17291&e=17331&x=sourceName+%3D+%22Aygee%22
http://i.imgur.com/y11ZNKH.png
Edited by Aygee on 7/22/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/21/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Airc

And destroy the talent completely? Why would they?

As for me, I know the other talents are mathematically better, but I like the way Divine Purpose feels.

HA and SW are as you say, static, reliable,guarantee damage.
While, DP may be a little behind, with any RGN on your side it over shadows the other 2.

50.55% Mastery buff, with TVs flying back to back, it is insane burst, but it is all RGN.
It is the price you pay to see big numbers :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]