Shield of the Righteous

90 Draenei Paladin
So reading a lot of guides that state things like use before a big hit, which of course makes sense. My question is I will be sitting on HP a lot, do you use this rotationally, at 3 HP if you are pulling trash and taking little damage or am I supposed to sit at 5 hp in case something bad happens?

Going to take the plunge into pally tanking again this week and from playing around with it, I can't get a good rhythm like I can on my DK.

I don't see many pallies in 5mans or lfr using WoG, is that going to be used a lot?(assuming healers are awake)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Never waste Holy Power. If you're at 5 and you have another HP generator to use, hit ShoR first.

And no, WoG is pretty much an emergency heal. ShoR is much stronger most of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So reading a lot of guides that state things like use before a big hit, which of course makes sense. My question is I will be sitting on HP a lot, do you use this rotationally, at 3 HP if you are pulling trash and taking little damage or am I supposed to sit at 5 hp in case something bad happens?

Going to take the plunge into pally tanking again this week and from playing around with it, I can't get a good rhythm like I can on my DK.

I don't see many pallies in 5mans or lfr using WoG, is that going to be used a lot?(assuming healers are awake)

Try and bank some holy power, but never waste it by sitting on 5.
Edited by Vaelryn on 7/16/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/16/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Souledin
or am I supposed to sit at 5 hp in case something bad happens?
Also you generally don't want to wait for something bad to happen. Damage reductions such as SotR are proactive abilities, you want to use them *before* something bad happens to make it less bad. In other words you want to be aware of what's going on and predict when the big hits are coming before they land. Hitting SotR right after getting his for 80% of your health won't do you much good, you still took 80% of your health; hitting SotR just before a hit that would half taking 80% of your health off is much better as it'll make it only take about 40% of your health instead.

The same goes for damage reduction cds like Ardent Defender and GoAK, it's much perferable to get them up before the big hits and make them smaller rather than letting the big hits through and hoping they're enough to keep you alive long enough to get healed.

WoG, and other emergency heals are the re-active abilities, more useful for after the big hits to try to heal the damage after taking it. But as noted, it's always preferable to prevent the damage rather than heal it after the fact.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's all situational. On some fights where there's consistent big hits (Tortos snapping bite, for example) You have enough opportunities to hit ShoR often enough that you will rarely ever have an excess HP problem. On fights where there's a big hit to mitigate that comes less frequently (Ji'kun talon rake), just keep an eye on your timers and always have at least 3 HP banked when the hit is coming up. Start banking HP 5-10 seconds before the hit, then only use ShoR if you cap at 5 and have another HP generator off cd (and of course use it < 3 seconds before the big hit). Outside of situations like that with predictable big hits, you can use it rotationally to reduce overall damage and get the most dps out of it.

Regarding WoG, it's rarely used. It's always better to spend HP on ShoR to reduce damage taken than to heal back a full hit. Use it as an emergency heal when you dip low and you don't think your healers can pop you back up in time. Think of it like this: ShoR is your proactive HP ability, WoG is your reactive one. You want to use the proactive one as much as possible, but the reactive one is there for emergencies.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am a ret as main spec. I am in my tanking gear, off-spec. One question. On using WoG, it IS good to use more than just for an emergency heal once you have the 2-piece bonus, right? Because the set bonus gives us 40% chance to block for 5 seconds of each holy power used. So, as an example, on Ji-Kun's Talon Rake, it would be good to use WoG <15 seconds before and then SHoR <3 seconds before, back to back, for better results, correct?
Edited by Maxximus on 7/17/2013 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
07/17/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Maxximus
On using WoG, it IS good to use more than just for an emergency heal once you have the 2-piece bonus, right?

Not normally. I could maybe see it being useful for something like you described if there's no other physical damage coming before that attack, but ShoR itself should be enough to absorb the hit anyway. For regular usage, just pretend the set bonus doesn't exist.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Got my head token last night, do I go for sets or get which ever piece has the best stat values?

I want to say tank helm was exp/mastery and the dps was hit/haste, but I can't look it up right now.

I have a 516 helm from scenarios equipped right now, I think.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Got my head token last night, do I go for sets or get which ever piece has the best stat values?

The Prot T15 4-set bonus is nice IF you're getting hit hard enough to proc it. If you're just doing LFR, which is what it looks like from your Armory, it's probably better to go for the items with better stats.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Theck did a blog article where he compared the T15 set bonuses vs haste builds in all difficulties (well, not lfr), and he found that the differences are marginal at best, even for H25 damage levels. Basically the stat differences cancel out the benefits of the bonuses (or vice versa).

Which means you can go for the set bonuses or you can ignore them, it won't have a significant impact either way.

I guess yeah, in LFR the set bonuses are probably not as useful, but then again it is LFR, so it still won't have much impact one way or another.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]