2 discs raiding

90 Night Elf Priest
Due to some recent changes we will be bringing in a disc priest to heal with us so our resto sham can get on his rogue. My question is what should I do. He's disc/shadow. And I'm disc/ shadow. Our third heals is a rdruid. We are going to do Meg.

I know you can do a 10man normal with two discs, but would it be more beneficial for me to go holy? I only played holy up until halfway through HoF. So I am pretty familiar with holy.

This point may be moot, because I may go shadow if we need the DPS. But would you guys have a preference as to what comp you'd heal with? Disc/disc/rdruid or holy/disc/rdruid? I believe his gear is 528. Or would it honestly make no difference?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Depends on the fight. Some, using two spirit shells makes it a lot easier to handle damage. As well as using the barriers right. Can stop much of the damage. Some fights are generally low damage with spikes. Like the hydra boss in the caverns. Magera or something.
The extra dps can help a bit.
It really depends on the fight and how your raid takes damage. May be great on bosses 1-4 to be disc. I like being holy on horridon simply because I can keep the tank on the big boss alive with refreshing renew with heal, and then using serenety when he needs a boost.

It depends on your playstyle as well. competing for power word shields can be something, if you run a mastery build, your set there since yours would always overide.

We did 2 disc on our attempts at the hydra boss and those rampages were not too hard to handle. Our issue was with the heads, you get 3 things that hurt so quickly and then another before you have a chance to get people back up again to live.

so it is perfectly viable. Helps make up for a weaker dps. But I find it best if you are 3 healing a fight and need the healer to help heal. But you have a weaker dps. Since if everyone is doing 80k+, having a dps do about 60k and a healer supplement that. It certainly adds up in a good way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I haven't healed with this disc. But as far as I know. He uses PW:S sparingly. So fighting over shields won't be a big deal. And I believe my mastery is higher. I'm just thinking it might be nice to have a big aoe healer since towards the end of meg there will be a lot of acid rains going around.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
For Meg, you have 2 tanks taking damage simultaneously. Each one just pick a tank and get your rapture procs from that tank. Dual spirit shells for each rampage will mean that there's very little damage actually going out.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but with the change to DI, 10m will be much more friendly to double disc next patch.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but with the change to DI, 10m will be much more friendly to double disc next patch.

this is a good point... will we see MULTIPLE POWER WORD: SHIELDS ON PLAYERS???

/steeplefingers
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
We do 2 disc + druid on our 3 heal fights. At first I thought there would be collision problems but that has not turned out to be the case. Double SS and Barriers turns out to be very nice. The only time a priest goes holy is on Tortos (heroic) because the druid doesn't need it anymore and sits out. The only downside seems to be when I look at my logs and see 70% OH on my Rejuv.
Edited by Merise on 7/16/2013 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Double disc anything is one of the strongest 10 man comps
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
For Meg, you have 2 tanks taking damage simultaneously. Each one just pick a tank and get your rapture procs from that tank. Dual spirit shells for each rampage will mean that there's very little damage actually going out.

This is where I would fall. Dice out ahead of time which disco will shield which tank and raptures solves itself. Double spirit shield and double bubble is not exactly a bad thing, especially in a stationary fight like Megs. Even in most other fights, as long as the two discos are communicating, it can work out quite well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I currently raid on my disc priest and we do the exact same healing comp you're planning to do, 2 disc priests and a druid. I have my UI set up so I can see what target he shields. Both of us seemed to have picked a tank (without meaning to, just sorta happened) for rapture procs. Gear wise it can be a little annoying since we have a lot of people on one token (we also have a lock and a pally tank) but 2 disc priests has never been an issue for us.

I actually like having 2 spirit shells, especially on fights like megaera :) I do group 1 he does group 2 and health bars barely move. Also have 2 giant bubbles which is glorious.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
It will suck hard when you need a healing cooldown and to top off the raid. IMO one of you should go holy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
So update. We raided with the other disc tonight. I decided to stay disc (partially because I didn't have time to respec, reforge, or change gems. He told us last minute he would heal).

So this disc, is a friend of the other disc that I had tried to give pointers to.

Before we start raiding I asked which tank he wanted. He said it didn't matter because its just ten man. But he was going to show me how awesome a haste build is. I believe his ilvl was about 530. I didn't think anything of it. Things are going fine with trash until we get closer and closer to Meg. I was doing about the same amount of healing. Then a few mobs before Meg I notice I'm healing less then the druid. I went from 35% healing to 10% (I know meters aren't important, but something seemed off when I suddenly wasn't doing much in the manner of healing). I also noticed none of my shields were being cast. He was shielding both of the tanks at the start of the pull and as sooner WS was off.

When we get to Meg I say that I'll get tank x you get tank y. His response. "I can heal everyone because I have more spirit then you." So I sit on my hands pretty much cause he won't let me get shields off. So I don't feel like fighting it. This is my night to raid with my guild. I was on cinders and had a couple issues (turns out two people didn't say their mics weren't working). The amazing priest said that he can get dispelled since I can't do it. I just got done saying how I want people to call when the aren't in the middle of the raid so I don't waste time looking for then. He tells me to get Decursive or he can just do it for me. I'm starting to get a little pissed.

On the death snails he continually tries to life grip me into their faces. I ask him to stop. Cause it's my night to raid I don't need extra repairs. Ji Kun goes fine. Him still not giving me a chance to cast a shield. Oh and he life gripped me off the edge every chance he got.

Looking back I also found an interesting thing. On the times that I randomly died, he had castes Void Shift on me.

This guy was trying to kill me and shield block me because I had given pointers to his friend.

What did I learn? Go holy if you don't know them. They might spend the entire night trying to keep you from shielding. Needless to say. My raid didn't like him, he was annoying. And I told them I'd split if he became a regular. I swear he thought he was playing a single player game.

Positive is we downer both Meg and Ji-Kun for the first time.

Note on shield usage: most fights he had 30+ casts, I had 5.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ouch, I would never raid with him again :/

I didn't really know the other disc priest I was healing with that much either but we didn't shield block one another nor life grip each other. He just sounds like a douche trying to get his kicks off in a raid :(

I would have gone holy and shielded a few times :p

It will suck hard when you need a healing cooldown and to top off the raid. IMO one of you should go holy.

That wouldn't ever be an issue. Or at least it shouldn't.
Edited by Veroicone on 7/16/2013 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
What did I learn? Go holy if you don't know them. They might spend the entire night trying to keep you from shielding. Needless to say. My raid didn't like him, he was annoying. And I told them I'd split if he became a regular. I swear he thought he was playing a single player game.

Positive is we downer both Meg and Ji-Kun for the first time.

Note on shield usage: most fights he had 30+ casts, I had 5.

You should have called him out. His behavior was abominable. I hate people like that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Whoa! Just read your update. WTH is wrong with this guy? 0.o
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Seriously, if I was the RL I would have kicked him after 1 warning :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well, I was talking to the RL about it afterwards. And I called him out. But our raid is a little fragile right now. So I took one for the team. We got two bosses down and I had an easy night healing.

Edit: His problem was that I had given his friend pointers. And he was the one whole told the other disc to stack haste and spirit. So he thought I was being a know it all and calling him terrible. I was just giving her pointers because she tends to heal less then one of spriest a who sometimes goes holy if needed. He only has 5k spirit and hasn't played holy since Cata I believe. So something was a little up. Plus she never shields or uses atonentment. One of her highest heals is renew.

And I would have gone holy, but my OS is shadow. I was planning on being more prepared to go holy, but didn't have time. Got home just as invites were going out/ he didn't tell us he was healing with us til right before raid time.
Edited by Rhias on 7/17/2013 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Two bubbles and rolling spirit shields, with a resto druid in third seat. You seem to be inventing problems that shouldn't even be possible.

Edit: Unless the other disco acts like the guy mentioned in the updated post. But, healers that wouldn't try to sabotage the raid would work well together, as others have mentioned.
Edited by Vear on 7/17/2013 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
That guy was a jerk, Op. Sorry you had that experience, I've had similar in LFR, and back in HLK we had another disc who was like that. I've even run into !@#$%^- Holy priests who insist on shielding tanks. (They, too, did it before the pull so I had to wait for WS or cast a few fast heals to get WS off.)

Don't give up on the idea itself, just get players that are for the team, not for themselves. Boot people with that attitude straight off, during trash, don't let them ruin your raid night.

The haste spirit build thing is ok if you are a 3rd healer just doing atonement on stuff you outgear, but crit=mastery > haste is still better. Ignore his *!@.

If he really did this just because you offered another regular in your raid advice, pfft. I'd get rid of your other regular as well. In our raid we frequently tell players we want a certain glyph/ talent for a fight, and if they don't, hell, booted. We get a replacement if we can, don't raid if we can't, and the whole raid knows who to blame. We even had to boot a hunter who refused to use sporebat (we had no haste buff). EVERY week we had to ask, ask, order, cajole him. One week... he showed up and had released his sporebat. Figured we couldn't make him if he didn't have it. So we halted the raid, and said you have 10 minutes to go tame one, or we cancel the raid and boot you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]