Patch 5.4 - Celestial Tournament Testing

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Like I said, keeping it all secret is just a screen for... probably not really pwning them up like you all claim.

Waiting patiently for your full guide. Thanks in advance.
90 Troll Druid
08/20/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Hearus
Like I said, keeping it all secret is just a screen for... probably not really pwning them up like you all claim.

Waiting patiently for your full guide. Thanks in advance.

That would imply Chibimage actual has some talent and is not just trolling. You might be waiting forever.
I never claimed to do the theorycrafting.

I'm just calling you all out on your posturing.
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
I'm just calling you all out on your posturing.

Can't imagine why people aren't ponying up info with the friendly nature with which you are asking. Also there is a ton of comps in the thread. Stop being so lazy you can't look at all for yourself.
90 Draenei Shaman
I should have made better notes. I beat some trainers on the PTR. Here are the teams I used. I didn't have my full array of pets, so I made due with what I had.

Wise Mari:
Yellow Moth (P/P)
Azure Whelpling
Ghaz'rooki

Blingotron:
Anubisath Idol
Snarly
(I can't recall the third)

Kiryn:
Ghostly Skull
Frigid Frostling
Broom

Sully "The Pickle" McLeary:
Mojo
Zandalari Kneebiter
Turkey

Dr Jon Goldbloom:
Dark Whelpling (need a better dragon here)
Menagerie Custodian
Sunreaver Microsentry

Lorewalker Cho:
Onyxia Whelpling (nearly killed 2 pets)
Stitched Pup
(didn't need a third pet)

Taran Zhu:
Ghostly Skull
Mr. Grubbs
Forest Spiderling

Wrathion:
Red Cricket
Anubisath Idol
Winter's Little Helper

Chen Stormstout:
Darkmoon Zeppelin
Zandalari Kneebiter (not great, maybe something better here)
Chuck

Yu-la
Bonkers (killed him solo)
(any humanoid with avoidance and 287+ speed is good here)

Xu-Fu
Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
Clockwork Gnome
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

Chi Chi
Senjin Fetish
Jade Oozeling
(killed with 2)

Zao
Water Spirit
Chrominus

Honestly, I couldn't find any other combination of pets that I had on the PTR that would let me kill those two celestials. I did however manage to kill both of them using the same Chrominus and Water Spirit, which is positive.
Edited by Turkic on 9/10/2013 2:03 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Mage
Ive been getting my !@# kicked on a regular basis by all 4 celestials.

The first three little guys goes kinda easy, I lose a few pets but still manage to go through it.

The 4 celestials tho, I just cant get them down, that boss buff (cant take more then 50% of their HP in damage AND takes 35% reduced dmg) with the amount of healing they do just blows me away.

Ive managed to stretch the fight for a longer period of time, but doing that I just do no damage to them, then I tried to kill them as fast as possible, but the healing CD they have is to short and heals for more then I can do damage to them in that time frame.

So its really puzzling me how to get them down.

EDIT: Im not a battlepet theorycrafter, dont know all the pets and strats ppl use, Ive only done the pet battle quests and lvling. Did anyone already manage to win the tournament with one of these crazy strats im reading about in this forum? (no need to tell me the strat, just wanna know if its possible or not)
Edited by Hachiun on 8/25/2013 8:35 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
Comps I plan to use for the celestials are as follows.

Yu'la :

- Gregarious Grell (Punch, Phase Shift, Cauterize)
- S/S Flayer Youngling (Blitz, Deflection, Kick)
- Peddlefeet (Bow Shot, Perfumed Arrow, Shot Through the Heart)

Zao :

- Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (Flyby, Decoy, Bombing Run)
- Darkmoon Zeppelin (Missile, Decoy, Bombing Run)
- Darkmoon Tonk (Missile, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon)
(the setup on MPD may be wrong, as I forgot the actual redesign on it's abilities)

Xuen :

- Sunreaver Micro Sentry (Fel Immolate, Haywire, Call Lightning)
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti (Metal Fist, Call Lightning, Ion Cannon)
- Clockwork Gnome (Metal Fist, Repair, Build Turret)
(Call Lightning removes it's healing capability entirely, making the fight easy)

Chi-Chi :

- Lil' Tarecgosa (Arcane Blast, Surge of Power, Arcane Storm)
- any combination of Mini Mindslayer, Arcane Eye, or Shimmering Wyrmling (all you need on these is Mana Surge)

All of these should easily be able to take on the Celestials. I have Chrominius and PWS as reserve in case needed.

Edit : I'll likely post my entire guide on warcraftpets.
Edited by Fenixdown on 8/27/2013 8:41 AM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
I'm finding this highly aggravating. Mostly because I have so few pets (most of my favourites aren't cageable, so they didn't transfer with me. I tried Simca's 'trick' (quoted below) but it isn't adding any pets. I generated 3 new characters on the PTR like someone else suggested and they added only 2 new pets (the third didn't add a single one), and one of those was a green.

As for the actual battles: My current challenge has Taran Zu, Chen, and Wrathion. It's very annoying that so many of their pets do multiple turn stuns. They say they're only 1 turn, but since all but two of these pets has 300-394 speed it's effectively hitting for 2.
Inebriate also seems rather overpowered as even my 100% hit chance abilities are missing about 90% of the time (until my pets die).
The only one I am able to beat reliably is Chen, and that is likely due to the use of my darkmoon zepplin and it's decoy ability.

Other than that, I'm loving the idea behind this. I love the clever pets tied to their masters (Wrathion's Dah'Da having the same model as lil' deathwing still has me giggling).
I would love to get beyond the first 3 masters to test it further but I've had to walk away in frustration every time I've tried so far.

07/23/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Simca
Would really love to test this, but my pets are all janked up. I have a load of 25's on live but only about 8 of them are cageable. On the PTR I get a random set of 25's but most are poor quality. Is there any fix for this or an I just out of luck?? I tried deleting all my PTR toons and re-importing them but no luck. Still get the crappy set.

Every few hours (around 12 or so?) you will get another set of random 25s.

Obtaining the pets seems to be triggered by logging in/out, /reload, or hitting Revive Battle Pets.

I log on the PTR every day and spam /reload a few times. Do that for a few days and you'll have more pets than you could need.
Edited by Shayleah on 8/27/2013 2:03 PM PDT
90 Orc Shaman
The Celestials are beaten down by the same BoF comp that is used; Unborn Valk, Pandaren Water Spirit, Chrominius.

Blam.

What's so hard about that?

You cant do it this way -Celestials have buff, what prevents to damage more than 35% hp in 1 round. And 3 from 4 have heal.
90 Orc Shaman

I would love to get beyond the first 3 masters to test it further but I've had to walk away in frustration every time I've tried so far.

This week pet masters can be defeated by 2 uncommon quality pets for each. They are just trash in legendary skin. Only Chen team may need 3d aquatic pet to finish elem.
90 Orc Shaman
Comps I plan to use for the celestials are as follows.

Yu'la :

- Gregarious Grell (Punch, Phase Shift, Cauterize)
- S/S Flayer Youngling (Blitz, Deflection, Kick)
- Peddlefeet (Bow Shot, Perfumed Arrow, Shot Through the Heart)

Zao :

- Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (Flyby, Decoy, Bombing Run)
- Darkmoon Zeppelin (Missile, Decoy, Bombing Run)
- Darkmoon Tonk (Missile, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon)
(the setup on MPD may be wrong, as I forgot the actual redesign on it's abilities)

Xuen :

- Sunreaver Micro Sentry (Fel Immolate, Haywire, Call Lightning)
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti (Metal Fist, Call Lightning, Ion Cannon)
- Clockwork Gnome (Metal Fist, Repair, Build Turret)
(Call Lightning removes it's healing capability entirely, making the fight easy)

Chi-Chi :

- Lil' Tarecgosa (Arcane Blast, Surge of Power, Arcane Storm)
- any combination of Mini Mindslayer, Arcane Eye, or Shimmering Wyrmling (all you need on these is Mana Surge)

All of these should easily be able to take on the Celestials.

From Celestials Yu'la is easy but still it has 150+ dmg reduce and 600+ reg atacks. Also after changes pasives, dragonkin bonus dmg will start after 50% hp, so even if you will dodge lift-off, it still be able 2 shot tiny pets. From another way, with 50% dmg reduce and emerald presents Punch and Blits should do like 80 dmg (already did tournament this week, so cant check now).
For Zao your dps will be too little. Zao Wish heals for 50%, so you need to down him in window between it. With many decoys and bomb runs you just give him time to heal.
Even without Moonlight Feed heals Xuen for 400-500 hp every few rounds. I still think this team can work but with high chances to random lose and back to start.
Can't check arcane storm team on PTR, this team should work against Chi-Chi. But still: magic racial doesnt save from lose more than half hp every round; all pets are slower Chi-Chi even under 50% hp; 20% chance to miss Mana surge - can result in another lose.
So, I can imagine, what you randomly will win Tournament with that team, but not from 1st, or 5th time.
90 Gnome Warlock
it's been awhile since i first cleared the tournament, and when i came back, i got the same tamers. Turns out that although there have been some changes, my same comps mostly all worked.

My original comps were
Taran Zhu: Chromius, Amber Moth, Pterrodax Hatchling
Chen Stormstout: Zep, Anub, chuck
Wrathion: Crawdad, scourged whelpling(Darkness), Lil' Bad Wolf (strong)

Xu-Fu: Scalded Basilisk, Zep, Menagerie Custodian
Niuzao: Zandalari Ankle Render, Son of Animus, menagerie custodian
chi-chi: sand scarab, emerald whelpling, emerald whelpling
chi-chi: water spirit, water spirit, howl pet
Yu-La: sprite darter, clock'em, bad wolf s/s

New comps were
Taran Zhu: Chromius, Amber Moth, Pterrodax Hatchling
Chen Stormstout: Zep, Crawdad, chuck
Wrathion: Anub, Hopling, Lil' Bad Wolf (strong)

Xu-Fu: Scalded Basilisk, Zep, Menagerie Custodian
Niuzao: Zandalari Ankle Render, Son of Animus, menagerie custodian
chi-chi: water spirit, water spirit, howl pet
Yu-La: sprite darter, clock'em, bad wolf s/s

Overall, the fight feels more manageable. chi-chi was still my scariest fight, but mostly because losing meant starting over. I made loads of mistakes and still was able to win on the first try.

the tuning feels spot on. plenty will find it difficult, but it still feels like there are several options to win.
90 Human Warlock
You cant do it this way -Celestials have buff, what prevents to damage more than 35% hp in 1 round. And 3 from 4 have heal.

is it 35% in a round or 35% from one attack? very different.... and i recall hearing its the latter
90 Human Priest
09/02/2013 01:48 PMPosted by Pyroamorous

is it 35% in a round or 35% from one attack? very different.... and i recall hearing its the latter

It is most definitely the latter, I don't know where they got that idea. Magic Bullet still works if needed. That same person also thinks that Grell and Winds/Double Surge only work in theory even though they've been tested and proven effective if played correctly.

On another note, my message to the devs is this. PLEASE let us use the stable master inside, but give a warning on use that it will reset your tournament progress. It's just more convenient that way. Thanks. :)
Edited by Fenixdown on 9/3/2013 7:57 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
If you want us to test it then give us 30 level 25 pets. Most of us wanting to test it already have that so either copy ours over or give us the 30. Not worth the time to level pets on PTR.
90 Night Elf Hunter
If you want your pets from LIVE AND if they can be caged, put them in your bags before you copy your character over to PTR.
90 Gnome Warlock
Are you meant to be able to get xp in the tournament? because if so what's to stop players from leveling pets on the first three Champions then requeing?

The champions seem a bit hard now, but once players get to use their own pets and get a bit more time, most if not all of them will be 2 mannable.

I was able to get xp on a high level beast on Wise Mari using a Lifelike Toad, Scourged Whelpling, + beast carry pet. i'm sure there are other combos folks are finding.
90 Worgen Mage
Please make it so you cannot bring in multiple of the same pets. I feel this would make it more interesting+creative. Despite the fact people will soon figure out the best comp and just run with it at least the best comp wont be cheesing the event by having 3 copies of 3+ differnt pets on your team.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Ive been getting my !@# kicked on a regular basis by all 4 celestials.

The first three little guys goes kinda easy, I lose a few pets but still manage to go through it.

The 4 celestials tho, I just cant get them down, that boss buff (cant take more then 50% of their HP in damage AND takes 35% reduced dmg) with the amount of healing they do just blows me away.

Ive managed to stretch the fight for a longer period of time, but doing that I just do no damage to them, then I tried to kill them as fast as possible, but the healing CD they have is to short and heals for more then I can do damage to them in that time frame.

So its really puzzling me how to get them down.

EDIT: Im not a battlepet theorycrafter, dont know all the pets and strats ppl use, Ive only done the pet battle quests and lvling. Did anyone already manage to win the tournament with one of these crazy strats im reading about in this forum? (no need to tell me the strat, just wanna know if its possible or not)
I beat them before they buffed Zao. Now he heals for 50% of his health every three rounds or so, so I doubt I could do it again.

My strat for the bird is using the oozling type pets with expunge. The rest I haven't tried lately.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]