5.4 PTR Healing: The State of it

100 Goblin Shaman
That thing about HR / CH isn't really true at all in 10 mans. And it won't be next patch either.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
GC stated pretty clearly that the intention of the devs was to buff Shaman ridiculously in the niche of stacked healing. They're supposed to be ridiculously, grossly, over the top broken on stacked fighting.

Which means they'll be brought for all of three fights next tier. Because any fight that requires them to move or deal with spread will have them as dead last, and all the other fights so far are move and spread.

It's to the point that I'm gearing my alt Shaman so that when we get to those "omg, stack healing is TEH WINZ" fights, we can just alt in Shaman. Trying to recruit a Shaman only to have them sit on the bench for 11-something fights seems too cruel.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
GC stated pretty clearly that the intention of the devs was to buff Shaman ridiculously in the niche of stacked healing. They're supposed to be ridiculously, grossly, over the top broken on stacked fighting.

Which means they'll be brought for all of three fights next tier. Because any fight that requires them to move or deal with spread will have them as dead last, and all the other fights so far are move and spread.

It's to the point that I'm gearing my alt Shaman so that when we get to those "omg, stack healing is TEH WINZ" fights, we can just alt in Shaman. Trying to recruit a Shaman only to have them sit on the bench for 11-something fights seems too cruel.

Well with the chain heal glyph being mildy usable, with a buffed chain heal, and with having guidance or rushing streams, we are in a pretty good spot for 10 mans. From the streams I saw the fights are not so undoable especially when you consider almost all of these changes occured after a lot of the testing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well with the chain heal glyph being mildy usable, with a buffed chain heal, and with having guidance or rushing streams, we are in a pretty good spot for 10 mans. From the streams I saw the fights are not so undoable especially when you consider almost all of these changes occured after a lot of the testing.

I'm looking at it from a 25 man standpoint, but the fights I've actually tested, not a single one was "friendly" to Shaman style healing. Better to take another Druid!
Reply Quote
Trying to recruit a Shaman only to have them sit on the bench for 11-something fights seems too cruel.

But but but, who'll have the water and cookies ready while cheering from the sides?

For 25m I can see them being not as attractive still. For 10m, they should perform decently enough compared to ToT, albeit still not close to the powerhouse that Disc/MW will likely be for 10m.
Edited by Korghal on 7/21/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hmm, let's see. Looking at my latest healing logs I tallied up the following:

I bet I could look at your logs and see your top two heals on each fight contributing to 40% or more. If you wish to split hairs over which spells, that is fine, end result is the same.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/21/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Korghal
Trying to recruit a Shaman only to have them sit on the bench for 11-something fights seems too cruel.

But but but, who'll have the water and cookies ready while cheering from the sides?

For 25m I can see them being not as attractive still. For 10m, they should perform decently enough compared to ToT, albeit still not close to the powerhouse that Disc/MW will likely be for 10m.

What I want is for Shaman to be on the same level as every other healer in my raid. I want to be able to say, "Yeah, let's bring that Shaman!" on every fight, minus maybe one or two. Without gimmicks to prop them up, etc.

I really want GC to wake up and see that what the devs are doing is not helping Shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/21/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Harpoa
Hmm, let's see. Looking at my latest healing logs I tallied up the following:

I bet I could look at your logs and see your top two heals on each fight contributing to 40% or more. If you wish to split hairs over which spells, that is fine, end result is the same.

Oh, and btw: It's not Echo of Light + CoH. It's Echo of Light + PoM. *pats*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

And that really matters how? If it makes you feel better to post, then great. End of the day it is two heals that equal 40% or more. Was basically my point, but I guess the literal police can't get past that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/21/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Harpoa

And that really matters how? If it makes you feel better to post, then great. End of the day it is two heals that equal 40% or more. Was basically my point, but I guess the literal police can't get past that.

No, you just got it wrong and I wanted to correct you. I actually wish that CoH made up that much healing. ^_^
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
The stacked niche is a bad idea. On live, resto shaman are poor unstacked healers, passable stacked healers. On PTR, resto shaman are more than viable unstacked healers (thanks to 58% chain heal buff and glyph change, along with healing stream totem talent) and amazing stacked healers.

A 'balance' would suggest Shaman are below average unstacked healers and above average stacked healers, but I do not believe this is fair to Shaman healers.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
07/21/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Tiriel

What I want is for Shaman to be on the same level as every other healer in my raid. I want to be able to say, "Yeah, let's bring that Shaman!" on every fight, minus maybe one or two. Without gimmicks to prop them up, etc.

I really want GC to wake up and see that what the devs are doing is not helping Shaman.

Shaman just need to get better =[
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The stacked niche is a bad idea. On live, resto shaman are poor unstacked healers, passable stacked healers. On PTR, resto shaman are more than viable unstacked healers (thanks to 58% chain heal buff and glyph change, along with healing stream totem talent) and amazing stacked healers.

A 'balance' would suggest Shaman are below average unstacked healers and above average stacked healers, but I do not believe this is fair to Shaman healers.

That's only balanced if the raid is about 50% stacked healing and 50% spread healing. In reality, SoO looks like its about 10% stacked, 90% spread, which doesn't make it unreasonable for Shaman to be amazing stacked and average spread healers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

That's only balanced if the raid is about 50% stacked healing and 50% spread healing. In reality, SoO looks like its about 10% stacked, 90% spread, which doesn't make it unreasonable for Shaman to be amazing stacked and average spread healers.

They're subpar for anything with movement, which 90% of that 90% spread is. So be amazing stacked healers all you want, but it's not going to help you when you're sat for 11 encounters because bringing any other healer is more beneficial to the raid.

This is why overbuffing stacked healing and ignoring spread/movement issues is a bad thing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

They're subpar for anything with movement, which 90% of that 90% spread is. So be amazing stacked healers all you want, but it's not going to help you when you're sat for 11 encounters because bringing any other healer is more beneficial to the raid.

This is why overbuffing stacked healing and ignoring spread/movement issues is a bad thing.

Rushing Streams/AG and the 25 man HTT buff, and Chain Heal not diminishing on jumps, and the Chaining glyph reduced to a 2 second CD are all fairly substantial spread healing buffs. We are only going to be slightly behind, not 50%+ behind like we are in 5.2.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Rushing Streams/AG and the 25 man HTT buff, and Chain Heal not diminishing on jumps, and the Chaining glyph reduced to a 2 second CD are all fairly substantial spread healing buffs. We are only going to be slightly behind, not 50%+ behind like we are in 5.2.

Ooookay. I guess we'll see.

I'm gonna mark my calendar for when you come back to complain about it later.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Post on your main dont hide behind a lvl 2 alt

He mains a priest that is in a guild that used to be on my server. Recently moved to Zul'jin because, well, Garrosh is terribad for raiding.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

For 25m I can see them being not as attractive still. For 10m, they should perform decently enough

I find this statement ironic....As a new 25m raider, 99% of my raiding has been in the 10m format. So maybe I'm wrong...but...

Shamans are good in 25m. I'm not saying world beaters, but they're quite competent. I think you have it backwards son

Ps, I'm not comparing them to any other healer.
Edited by Tonydanza on 7/21/2013 4:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Is it a good design for a spec to play at Sensational level (yes, that is a pun!), 2 healing with a non-absorb healer just to feel like they can be on par? Don't get me wrong, we all know you're a great player and can maximize your Shaman a lot in ways others don't; however, I don't think it is the best design when you have to feel like you push your class to the hardest limit to be competitive (plus have a raid setting/comp that catters the most to your spec) when people who reroll on another healer alt find themselves pushing as much or even more output for less effort and/or gear.

I like to maximize my character to give the best of my throughput when possible; but I don't like that I'm doing over twice the effort than another spec simply because of the poor design of the spec and it's toolkit. It may be fun for those who are in high progression and like to challenge themselves; but new players will just get pushed away from the Resto spec when they realize a Holy Priest or Mistweaver can do as much or more than them with less headaches.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]