Could Inquisition be rolled into our mastery?

100 Draenei Paladin
I am operating on little sleep and copious amounts of Monster and 5 Hour Energy. There is a good possibility that I will wake up tomorrow, read this thread, and regret it.

But dammit, I'm curious.

Aaaanyway, I had one of my pseudo-theorycrafting episodes earlier today, particularly regarding Inquisition. Now, before you go dragging out your pitchforks and torches, hear me out. I personally don't have a problem with Inquisition. Maintenance buffs are old hat to me - I used to play a rogue, and Inq feels a little like Slice and Dice. No biggie.

However, I can see why some people have a problem with it, and any maintenance buff for that matter. Realistically, they all boil down to spending resources in order to maintain a personal buff that is more or less essential if you want to perform optimally. Admittedly, from a gameplay perspective, it's kind of a shallow mechanic. It's not particularly innovative, nor is it exceptionally engaging. All it really amounts to is, "oh, <maintenance buff> is running low. Next GCD, I'll have to spend <resource> to refresh it instead of fueling another <attack>."

So, instead of keeping Inq as a mandatory maintenance buff, why not stick it somewhere else? That is the thought process I was following during the aforementioned episode, and as the thread's title may or may not suggest, I think it could be reworked into our mastery.

Tooltip:
Mastery: Inquisitor
Increases all Holy damage dealt by X%. In addition, your attacks have a Y% chance to cause Inquisition, further increasing all Holy damage dealt by 30% for 30 seconds.

Of course, this leaves us without Hand of Light, but I think it could easily be converted into a passive that simply causes CS, HotR, DS, TV, and HoW to all inflict, say, 15% additional Holy damage. This damage would still scale with mastery, so it's in essence the same thing.

Another issue we might run into in this situation is the damage inflicted by our Holy abilities, e.g. Exo, or Judgment, and even Censure. I'll be frank - I don't know the math behind these abilities, but I can imagine that having a flat Holy damage buffer on top of the Inquisition proc could lead to some pretty outrageous hits. Not that I would have a problem with the majority of our damage being Holy in nature, but with enough mastery, we may very well opt to use DS over TV simply because it hits harder. The obvious solution would be to simply reduce the base damage dealt by these abilities, e.g. DS inflicts 80% weapon damage as Holy as opposed to 100%.

So, what do you guys think? I wouldn't exactly label it a buff from a numerical perspective, but as far as gameplay goes, I can see the appeal in not having to worry about keeping Inquisition up. I guess in that sense it'd be a buff. I dunno, I'm tired.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
no
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
...Why the hell would you even think this possibly resembles a good idea? Inq is already getting nerfed to the ground next patch such that it might as well be passive anyway, and you want it further idiot-proofed?

We do not need to play any more like Arcane Mages than we already do.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Theyre doubling inq duration next patch, why do people still complain about it?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
You'd have to replace Inquisition with a compelling finisher that can compete with TV first.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
...Why the hell would you even think this possibly resembles a good idea? Inq is already getting nerfed to the ground next patch such that it might as well be passive anyway, and you want it further idiot-proofed?

We do not need to play any more like Arcane Mages than we already do.

I never claimed it was a good idea, it's just an idea. I personally like sporadic RNG. It keeps me on my toes.

And how is it getting nerfed next pa-

Theyre doubling inq duration next patch, why do people still complain about it?

Oh, it is? Nice.

But I'm not complaining about it, I'm mostly just thinking of alternatives. It's a creative exercise.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Making Inq uptime an RNG thing, especially one dependent on Mastery, seems like a really, really bad idea.

And yeah, too much of the boost being tied to our all-Holy attacks was exactly the problem the first time they tried bonus holy damage as our mastery.
Edited by Ravicana on 7/21/2013 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
And yeah, too much of the boost being tied to our all-Holy attacks was exactly the problem the first time they tried bonus holy damage as our mastery.

When was that? Before Hand of Light I only remember Divine Purpose being Ret's mastery, even as far back as Cataclysm beta. o.O
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
07/21/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Keten

When was that? Before Hand of Light I only remember Divine Purpose being Ret's mastery, even as far back as Cataclysm beta. o.O

Cata alpha, maybe? I do remember hearing about it, I just don't remember exactly when.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The original beta (alpha?) version of Ret mastery was just a Holy damage multiplier, which as you say was changed pretty quickly. The given reason was that it made Exo ridiculous and left CS/TV feeling too weak when they're ostensibly the core of the rotation.
Edited by Ravicana on 7/21/2013 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

At what phase of development? The only mastery change I can think of is when they converted DP into a passive and replaced it with (what would later be known as) Hand of Light. Was that before mastery DP?

EDIT: Jesus, sniped right out of the air.
Edited by Valethria on 7/21/2013 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Interesting. I don't remember that at all and I followed paladin development moving into Cataclysm pretty closely.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It was in the original Paladin revamp preview, IIRC. Around the same time they revealed the concept of Holy Power, and that Ret would spend it on an ability called "Templar's Verdict". So this was a VERY early iteration.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It'd be cool if Mastery increased the damage modifier that Inquisition gave us...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]