ret dps

90 Human Paladin
Iv been working on my gear and when I run LFR on bosses I only pull about 70-80k dps. I feel this is low for my Ilevel. Iv been trying to get as much haste as I can.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Missing your Synapse Springs, gems in your shoulders are backwards, gems in boots and prismatic belt socket should both be Quick, gem in pants should be Fierce, weapon should have Dancing Steel and not Windsong.

Overall, 70~80k does still seem low. Only thing gear-wise I can really point at with any confidence is your trinkets; DMV is and always has been terrible for Ret except at the heroic level (and even then, it's still less than spectacular), and the dragonling doesn't really do much except help with stat caps early on. You do have really low haste, but that will come up naturally as you get better gear.

I wanna call this a rotational issue. Look into getting CLCRet, if you haven't already done so, to help tighten up your rotation. How are you handling your burst CDs?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm, bracer (tanking), trinkets, cloak, chest, legs, and weapon enchant are weak for this patch's standards. Assuming your rotation is correct and such, I don't see a big problem with your DPS. I think it is acceptable. When you get better gear, I'm sure it will increase naturally.

I noticed you had Word of Glory glyphed. You don't need to spend the time to cast Word of Glory for the short damage buff. You're better off spending the holy power on your Inquisition and Templar's Verdict. If you are prioritizing Word of Glory for the damage buff; then that would be a DPS loss, imo.

May I suggest to glyph Exorcism instead? That will make it do a lot more on trash, at least.

Note: Correction rotation refers to things like keeping up Inquisition, knowing when to pop your cool downs, etc.
Edited by Amithra on 7/24/2013 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
You also reforged out of haste on your helm, and haven't reforged your legs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I tweaked some stuff and played with rotation Im at 80-90k sustained with bursts hitting 120-130k
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Still some problems, though; gems in shoulders are backwards, missing your Synapse Springs - the glove tinker you get from engineering, and you have a green gem in a prismatic socket where it should be a pure haste gem. Grossly over hit cap - might want to consider changing the hit cogwheel in your dragonling to a mastery cog.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Don't expect much higher... We are broken as a class. Right now I am almost full 522 gear and still only pulling around 95k sustained, while clothies are pulling 135k sustained. Its pretty obvious that our class is in much need of help, which isn't coming soon.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Don't expect much higher... We are broken as a class. Right now I am almost full 522 gear and still only pulling around 95k sustained, while clothies are pulling 135k sustained. Its pretty obvious that our class is in much need of help, which isn't coming soon.

Holy you're gear... are you not getting any set pieces at all on purpose?

Long story short... Don't listen to this paladin... I'm confused about what he's doing with his gear/rotation....

I'm 531 and pulling 250-300k burst with cooldowns with around 160-178k sustained.

Difference in gear between 522 with no set bonuses, vs 531 is silly, not to mention he's still using a 502 weapon which is contributing to such bad damage.

Ritalynn - Damage 38307–51269 - Haste - 36.50%
Holenhiem - Damage 28862–37708 - Haste 23.24%

^
Plus set bonuses
Edited by Ritalynn on 7/30/2013 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Don't expect much higher... We are broken as a class.

You're doing it wrong...
Some fights I'll reach up to 600k+ burst, sustaining roughly 200-220k depending on fight; I generally top DPS in my 25m HM guild.

Back on topic, as many have said some of your gems need changing Pure haste in the prismatic on your belt, shoulder gems are around the wrong way so you're missing the +120 crit it's not much but it will help; also swap the gem in your legs to Strength/Haste. If you're struggling for a 2nd trinket Haste/Crit/Mastery will be better than the hit/exp cogwheels you have

A second trinket instead of the ghost iron Dragonling will help you A LOT (Relic of Xuen even if you have the spare cash).
Talents try Sanctified wrath, I find it gives more sustained damage than Holy Avenger, though HA does have its perks, and use Execution Sentence instead of Holy Prism and change to something else instead of Glyph on Mass Exorcism (pretty situational).

A good lot of Enchants will also help your DPS quite significantly, Dancing Steel on weapon, Strength to bracers with a full reforge.

Got any logs we can have a look at? (www.worldoflogs.com)
Edited by Filfa on 7/30/2013 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/30/2013 06:29 AMPosted by Ritalynn

Long story short... Don't listen to this paladin... I'm confused about what he's doing with his gear/rotation....

I'm 531 and pulling 250-300k burst with cooldowns with around 160-178k sustained.

Difference in gear between 522 with no set bonuses, vs 531 is silly, not to mention he's still using a 502 weapon which is contributing to such bad damage.

^
Plus set bonuses

That's great when that gear is available. But I'm pulling exactly what simulation craft is saying that I should be pulling. If I could get tier set what would be awesome. But it hasn't dropped since I started doing ToT. I know my rotation well. But yes the difference between Tier Gear and regular 522 is just ludicrous.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/30/2013 09:02 AMPosted by Holenhiem

^
Plus set bonuses

That's great when that gear is available. But I'm pulling exactly what simulation craft is saying that I should be pulling. If I could get tier set what would be awesome. But it hasn't dropped since I started doing ToT. I know my rotation well. But yes the difference between Tier Gear and regular 522 is just ludicrous.

That's still no reason to say the class needs help, we have 3 ret pallys in the guild that raid regularly, I'm the least geared of them. The top is 1-3rd dps on every fight in 25m heroic bosses. It's insane i dunno how he does it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
532 and unbuffed 320k bursts with 175-185k sustain
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Right now I am almost full 522 gear and still only pulling around 95k

That's because you have no set bonuses - first, foremost, and already mentioned - but another huge damage gimp that you have chosen is the Inquisition glyph. That thing, in its current incarnation, is a massive damage loss; you're shooting yourself in the foot with it and destroying your DPS in the porcess.

I'm 530 equipped, still with three pieces of LFR gear (two of which are tier), and am destroying clothies on the meters, and that's really the only other DPS I typically raid with. Dump the 522 offsets and get the LFR tier gear - it is much, much better to have 4pT15 than not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am ilv 533, with a 497 weapon and I can pull 187k on fights....were not broken.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Simcraft's showing me ~133k in your gear. Not Simcraft's numbers are a particularly accurate predictor of real output in the first place, but...

On the other hand, I'm a couple ilvls below you (although I've had better luck with tier/weapon drops), and am pulling more like 120-130k sustained.

(By Uther's beard, 2/2 upgrade your weapon at least!)
Edited by Ravicana on 7/30/2013 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Simcraft is a bench mark to give you a idea of stat weights and dps you can do....it is not uncommon to pull beyond what simcraft says you can do.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I manage 80-100k, less on heavy movement fights, e.g. Iron Qon, Primordius.

I know a main stumbling block is...wait for it...being a clicker. It is horrible and am really working on keybinding, but it's a process. Also managing to pop CDs at the right time, working on that too.

If Ji-Kun would just drop his farkin feather...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

^
Plus set bonuses

Definitely not broken, man. Everyone else here can tell you that ret is competitive in all raids, and it's probably better than it has been in years.

You're also way off what simcraft has you at. 95k dps is like 490 item level. At your gear simcraft has you at 126k. Without really trying to squeeze dps I would call 115k decent, but sub 100 means something is wrong.

You could be executing the rotation incorrectly, not maximizing your burst cooldowns, uptime on bosses/adds, etc.

What is your rotation? Burst rotation? What addons do you use? These are all important. It's likely not just one though.

I see in your jinrokh kill you never get a solid burst in the puddles. Knowing fight mechanics and when to use your cds results in a LOT of damage, that's why your lock destroyed you. His sustain wasnt actually that high compared to yours.

Know when your group is going to lust too. Your dps actually dropped during the bloodlust on Council. Based on the numbers on that lust, I think your rotation is off. It's possible that it dropped because you were trying to get out of a sand trap, but if you're having that much trouble dpsing and moving then you need to work on your uptime.

I see a lot of people not willing to admit that they are imperfect in their play, but the best thing you can do is want to improve. You have the gear, all you need is to know how to use it, and you can find that knowledge here very easily. If you let us help you, that pink bar in recount will rise up from the bottom. You could beat everyone in your guild if you wanted to.

Edit: And drop the glyph of inquisition. If you're having trouble with INQ then get CLC ret or weakauras addons. Your optimal talent choices are probably sanctified wrath and execution sentence, but that can change from fight to fight. Light's hammer is better for reliable multi-target and can be used as a raid CD on fights like mag. HP is less popular, but it has its moments. I used on garalon for the cleave because LH was wasted when the boss moved.

Simcraft is a bench mark to give you a idea of stat weights and dps you can do....it is not uncommon to pull beyond what simcraft says you can do.

And when did you start showing your face around here? :P
Edited by Arte on 7/30/2013 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Definitely not broken, man. Everyone else here can tell you that ret is competitive in all raids, and it's probably better than it has been in years.

You're also way off what simcraft has you at. 95k dps is like 490 item level. At your gear simcraft has you at 126k. Without really trying to squeeze dps I would call 115k decent, but sub 100 means something is wrong.

You could be executing the rotation incorrectly, not maximizing your burst cooldowns, uptime on bosses/adds, etc.

What is your rotation? Burst rotation? What addons do you use? These are all important. It's likely not just one though.

I see in your jinrokh kill you never get a solid burst in the puddles. Knowing fight mechanics and when to use your cds results in a LOT of damage, that's why your lock destroyed you. His sustain wasnt actually that high compared to yours.

Know when your group is going to lust too. Your dps actually dropped during the bloodlust on Council. Based on the numbers on that lust, I think your rotation is off. It's possible that it dropped because you were trying to get out of a sand trap, but if you're having that much trouble dpsing and moving then you need to work on your uptime.

I see a lot of people not willing to admit that they are imperfect in their play, but the best thing you can do is want to improve. You have the gear, all you need is to know how to use it, and you can find that knowledge here very easily. If you let us help you, that pink bar in recount will rise up from the bottom. You could beat everyone in your guild if you wanted to.

Edit: And drop the glyph of inquisition. If you're having trouble with INQ then get CLC ret or weakauras addons. Your optimal talent choices are probably sanctified wrath and execution sentence, but that can change from fight to fight. Light's hammer is better for reliable multi-target and can be used as a raid CD on fights like mag. HP is less popular, but it has its moments. I used on garalon for the cleave because LH was wasted when the boss moved.

And when did you start showing your face around here? :P

Already using CLC Ret. And the reason I am glyphed the way I am is because I adjust my glyphs continuously to adjust for certain things. I usually time my Wings 10 seconds after my Ancient. Since by then I have already built up 20 stacks. Plus all my spells and abilities are keybinded. When you ran the simulation did you use patchwork? And What buff's did you use?

I showed my face around here when my face decided it needed showing.... Now did you use 6 hunter shots or 5? Well frankly it doesn't matter cause this is the Voice of Quilen the most powerful gun in all of Azeroth, which can clearly blow your dps right off the charts, so you have to ask your self..... Do you feel lucky Punk? Well do you?!.... :P
Edited by Holenhiem on 7/30/2013 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]