Experience Protection Paladins- PLEASE HELP!

90 Dwarf Paladin
Okay just a controversial question that I have come across.

At first when I began tanking and all the way up to just a few weeks ago I've always used seal of Truth knowing that paladin's generate threat off of holy damage producing spells. But in LFR and other places people have told me to use Seal of Insight for the self-healing, helping out the healer and myself, also that the self-healing will generate more threat. But now other paladins are concerned on why I'm not using Seal of Truth?

Please post your opinions, Thank you!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
This isn't controversial. Seal of Truth does crap for damage, whereas Insight does a large amount of healing and boosts the effectiveness of Sacred Shield. It even generates more threat than Truth with Battle Healer glyphed. You should almost always be using Insight.

Any paladin who thinks you should be using Truth are very out of date or woefully misinformed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Truth was nerfed hard for Prot so it wouldn't be the go-to choice, but now Truth is the go-to choice anyway, even in 5.4 Insight will still be the one we use.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/22/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Beardoweirdo
At first when I began tanking and all the way up to just a few weeks ago I've always used seal of Truth knowing that paladin's generate threat off of holy damage producing spells.

We don't have any special threat multipliers on Holy damage, so Seal of Truth's very small amount of damage is no better for threat than any other very small amount of damage. Meanwhile, all healing generates threat, including Seal of Insight. And SoI gets the same 500% threat multiplier that SoT does.

IIRC, every 2 points of healing generates as much threat as 1 point of damage. So as long as SoI heals more than twice as much as SoT deals (which it does), SoI generates more threat. And SoI healing is a significant boost to survivability, to boot.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
IIRC, every 2 points of healing generates as much threat as 1 point of damage. So as long as SoI heals more than twice as much as SoT deals (which it does), SoI generates more threat. And SoI healing is a significant boost to survivability, to boot.

And healing threat is applied to every enemy in combat (spread evenly across them), so it can generate threat even on mobs far away from you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Seal of Insight not only produces a large amount of threat through Vengeance-scaling healing (I get 60k ticks on Heroic Jin'rokh, when not standing in a pool), it also gives us spell haste which makes Sacred Shield tick faster, as well as a (n almost useless) +5% to healing.

In addition to this, it also lets us use the Glyph of Battle Healer, which converts 20% of our melee damage (melee swings, Crusader Strike, and Shield of the Righteous), into healing on a raid member with the lowest amount of health.

There was a blue post from the beginning of MOP that said Seal of Truth and Seal of Righteousness would have an 80% reduced effect for Protection Paladins, so, the 12% it says on the tooltip is actually 2.4%.
Edited by Verelina on 7/22/2013 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Insight helps me a lot more then Truth does. It lightens the burden on the healers slightly, and on a face pull aggro basis, mobs will run straight at me, ignoring the healers in the group/raid. Plus, as vengeance gets higher, the small self-healing generated actually goes up significantly.

To me there's no controversy about it, use Insight.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Verelina
There was a blue post from the beginning of MOP that said Seal of Truth and Seal of Righteousness would have an 80% reduced effect for Protection Paladins,
I believe that only applies to truth, not righteousness... Though I could be wrong.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Paladin
I was kinda wondering this myself. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/22/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Beardoweirdo
paladin's generate threat off of holy damage producing spells

Righteous Fury used to behave this way, but that was changed sometime around Cata.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]