World of metercraft

90 Human Priest
I wanted to share an observation with the healing community to help put an end to toxic behavior that is hindering our gameplay and those who would seek out a healer.

A time ago back in vanilla healing was a different animal. We would rank down our heals, use what we thought was the right spell for the moment and our job above all else was for the good and health of the raid.

Many years later in a environment that has seen days of gear score and item level, intro to parsing, we live in another world. In this world you are measured not by how well you respond to a situation. Not by how well you can recover the raid from a large burst or strain but by how man numbers you can generate over the course of a fight.

This behavior has become toxic. It creates specs, geming/refroging errors, it makes players cast spells at the wrong times all to try to generate the most numbers. A lot of people live by their ability to beat out someone else as a healer by the numbers they can put out.

Is it bad to put out the most healing? My answer to that is not if you are gemed/reforged, talented and casting the right spells at the right time and you can honestly say you are casting nothing extra than what is needed.

An example:
I when I was new to my guild I played along side another Holy priest, I Holy myself and we had a disc priest. They fight I want to bring up is Heroic Tortos. Thres priests might be a bit much but we were going to make it work and Tortos is a holy fight for the most part. So anyone who knows this fight, you have to cast a spell on a crystal to gain a shield buff and healing down to you after that grows this buff to it's cap. At this point in the fight there is not much damage going out and a few simple AOE spells would top the shields off. The shields are there to survive Quake stomp were the whole raid will die without the shield and dip low with it. Myself and the disc priest saved our Halo for quake stomp. It is the right time to use that powerful spell and when timed right is amazing at topping everyone off after that mechanic. The other Holy priest who had a toxic playstyle popped halo as soon as everyone was refreshing their shields. When you first get the shield as far as the meters are concerned you are almost dead. Any heal will count 100% as healing and not overhealing. So you can imagine this would make you look really good on the meters.

Toxic play style is thinking of how to heal more than anyone else at the cost of healing at the right time with the right spell. You should think of how I can get people topped off from this mechanic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your playstyle toxic? Lets find out

If you ask
    when is there time to regen?
    How can I increase my burst for that mechanic?
    How can I increase my constant throughput for this fight?
    What talent would work best for that mechanic?
    Am I casting when I don't need to? Could I lower spirit to increase my burst?
    Do I have worked out with the other healers who is best to heal the tank and who the raid?

These are non toxic questions that you should be asking

If you ask
    If I pick up more spirit I could i spam heals the whole fight?
    If I use this spell then will I beat the other healers?
    If I heal the raid instead of the tank will my healing be higher?
    How can I roll more HoTs to get the heals first on those little bits of damage that go out?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are toxic questions this play style will gimp your healing When it counts!
There is a difference between being able to pump out the most numbers and being able to pump out the most numbers at the right time. In some fights it might be a pure long term throughput (garalon in HoF). In some cases the mechanics might be bursty and you need more haste, int or even some crit.

I challenge you to think about why you are doing something, whether it be in your gear, talents or what you are casting and when. Are you doing it because it is good for the survival and health of the raid? or because you can beat the other healers with it?
Edited by Nightstorm on 7/26/2013 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
To be honest this sounds a bit self righteous. If you have 2 priests popping halo right after the stomp the it is likely the most of the raid is fairly close to full. Maybe its different in 10s but when stomp goes out in 25 man, we rarely have people drop below like 90% aside from 2 or 3 people. So why isnt it ok for the other priest to use his when the shields are being refreshed to get them to full faster and less likely to break due to turtles/ falling rocks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Healing is nothing like it was. So comparing now and then is like comparing fish and dogs.

You should have a healthy compitition with your fellow healers. If you are doing stupid things to top the meters at a detriment to the raid then there is a problem. Otherwise it is all in good fun.

People just tend sometimes to forget this is just a game and means very little in the grand scheme of things.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Who cares how much healing someone does as long as the goal of keeping people alive is achieved? We only worry when they aren't healing enough and people die because of this fact.

Logs encourage competition and imo it's a good thing. But the bright among us know how to read them and what really matters. And what really matters? Making sure your raid stays alive. That's it. Use everything in your tool-kit to do your job.

And really who cares if some people are padding meters? If that bothers you then perhaps you should do the same. Your argument of "well I'm a smart healer and only doing healing that needs to be done" doesn't always hold up. It's like people QQing about OH. No one cares about OH unless people are dying because you're oom'd yourself and people are dying in consequence.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
You should have a healthy compitition with your fellow healers. If you are doing stupid things to top the meters at a detriment to the raid then there is a problem. Otherwise it is all in good fun.

That's why I like my guild, and have raided with basically the same group of people since '09. I used to tank, and me and my fellow tanks would had a friendly competitiveness, but knew that in the end, the whole group "winning" was more important than one of us showing the other that we could tolerate more of a debuff. Now that I'm healing, we push each other to do more healing, but not useless healing just to pad meters at the cost to raid success.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
On farm content, sniping your cohealers as much as possible is pretty much the only way to keep your skills honed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The problem is that healers look at meters because because of human nature. Many people are naturally competitive, this is why we have sports like football, baseball, hockey ect. It's no fun always being last in the race for many folks, sorry can't stop human nature! We can sit here and say how bad meters are but they do have their uses. Many times meters will reflect mechanics issues. This expac imo has become more spammy than WotLK, now there's spamming to prevent the damage from even hitting. At least in wrath the damage was allowed to hit so there was something to heal. Let's just say I wouldn't trade my Shaman healing partner for anything. A Spirit Shell spamming priest would drive me bonkers!

The thing that irritates me the most (and I have reading these forums since I started in BC) is the players that always say "meters don't matter!! As long as the raid lives!" are always playing classes that are normally rocking the meters. Once that class gets some nasty nerfs then it's "ohh! Not fair! I'm at the bottom! I'm being being benched!" You look at their armory and lo and behold some have cleared all content... couldn't have been benched too much then. Typically it's not that a class is too bad, it's because there's one or two classes/combos that are too good ... Cough cough Disc/Monk combo.

You know what was awesome about wrath and cata? I played 3 maxed lvl healing classes (4 if you want to consider that my priest was Holy/Disc) and during those expacs and I could be number #1 with any of them. Sure meters apparently are useless to those that don't want nerfs to their class. But back then the the players skill meant a lot more. Now ask a Sham to keep up with a Disc Priest... Heck I struggle to keep up even if they are way less geared!

Like I said many people are competitive, and if you raid, you probably have a competitive streak. If you have a competitive streak, you probably don't want to be last because you asked to drive the same nail just as well with a wrench than with a hammer.
Edited by Celestelle on 7/26/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Now ask a Sham to keep up with a Disc Priest... Heck I struggle to keep up even if they are way less geared!

A Shaman should not keep up with a disc priest and that is not broken. Should shaman have lower representation for it? Heck no, Shaman are amazing healers and bring so much utility. Keep the mana battery! and CDs for days!

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25H/100/14/180/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

Why do shaman have low representation? "They parse low so they must be broken." That kind of thinking.

Yes disc is on top a lot, absorbs get to the damage first. To think they should not be on top is nutty. I do not play disc, I am a holy priest, check my parses just so you know lol
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

Why do shaman have low representation? "They parse low so they must be broken." That kind of thinking.

I'm pretty sure people realize that shaman representation is low because the class has some pretty glaring mechanical problems, not because they parse low.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/26/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Nightstorm
Now ask a Sham to keep up with a Disc Priest... Heck I struggle to keep up even if they are way less geared!

A Shaman should not keep up with a disc priest and that is not broken. Should shaman have lower representation for it? Heck no, Shaman are amazing healers and bring so much utility. Keep the mana battery! and CDs for days!

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25H/100/14/180/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

Yes disc is on top a lot, absorbs get to the damage first. To think they should not be on top is nutty. I do not play disc, I am a holy priest, check my parses just so you know lol

A Shaman should be able to keep up with a Disc Priest, and in heroic content, I routinely destroy Disc Priests as Holy, as does our Druid, and our Paladins.

If a Shaman can't bring enough HPS to be a contributor on a fight, they get sat. It's just that simple.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/26/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Nightstorm

Here's my way of thinking. if you are better "skilled" and to an extent geared than me, you should should pull higher numbers, it should be a given. But I don't think it's right if a "class" is on top consistently just because of their design. Maybe depending on fight mechanics I can see a class excelling on certain fights over others. Like druids did on Blood Queen and disc on Lich King.

Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment because I like bringing people back from the brink. Absorb classes takes away my fun.

I also have a priest that is lvl 90 and Disc/Holy. I use disc for farming old content and I use holy for actually healing. Holy is fun to me even if I'm starving for mana half the time. Holy = moving the bars to green, Disc = keeping the bars green (zzz).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment because I like bringing people back from the brink. Absorb classes takes away my fun.

In heroic modes and progression content in general, you'll have PLENTY of room for this. That's why the big raw healers do so well there. When content is over-healed, absorbs snuff out everything.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
@Nightstorm

I don't understand how the H Tortos example is toxic, using Halo right after the stomp helps keeps the Shell up.

Also the meters on H Tortos are easy to game, after a very low threshold that any spec can reach they don't matter.

There were meters in vanilla, they just weren't central as class balance was so bad you didn't need them to know who'd be on top.

Shamans don't have low representation, they're right behind Priest/Paly in 25 and a little low in 10, but still close to Druids and above Monks.
Edited by Rexoss on 7/26/2013 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Honestly, most people who parse healing do it by rigging the encounter, or doing it severely undergeared/underhealing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/26/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Tiriel

A Shaman should be able to keep up with a Disc Priest, and in heroic content, I routinely destroy Disc Priests as Holy, as does our Druid, and our Paladins.

If a Shaman can't bring enough HPS to be a contributor on a fight, they get sat. It's just that simple.

See, this is all I want. The classes to be neck and neck overall. I was happy to hear that shaman was getting buffs since my partner is a Shaman. I know she busts her hump to get the numbers that she does and I think she should be closer to me in HPS since I know she is just as skilled and geared as me. I am better druid because on my Shammy partner, mana tide and using symbiosis for SWG+Tranq make me feel pretty awesome.

You know what else grinds my gears? Do I sit there and blow tranq at moderate damage to pad meters? Of course not, but how many healers have you seen blow everything on trash just because a little damage goes out. I've done some 25m as well and seeing a spirit shell on me during spider trash on the way to Ji Kun makes me think "seriously?!?"
If I blow tranq, it's to save some a**es - not to pad the meters.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
25m as well and seeing a spirit shell on me during spider trash on the way to Ji Kun makes me think "seriously?!?"

Why wouldn't you SS? It's a 1min cd. SS makes my healing more effective. Why wouldn't i use it at every opportunity?
Reply Quote
I dunno I'm not a very competitive player until one of my cohealers annoy me. That being said I find your example of Tortos and R.Shaman to be completely opposite of my line of thinking.

Why wouldn't a Priest Halo then? Maybe it's not just about topping meters since they are doing their job correctly and Haloing at an opportune time that can help save a player. Topping up as fast as possible after large damage (especially in heroics that have a few mechanics that deal enough damage to kill someone low) is important in my opinion.

On Lei Shen I use Halo just has he finishes casting every Thunderstruck, it usually instantly heals the entire raid back up to full health. Is this toxic playstyle or is it just using your toolkit as efficiently as possible? The truth is you can't really tell based on what I've said.
Toxic people have a mentality. If I vocally, and seriously, brag about being top of the meters and how my cohealers need to pick up their healing when I know we overgear content, I play a stronger spec than them, and I use my spells at the most opportune moments to ensure an easy kill then that would make me a toxic player. If, in that same situation, we just finish the fight and I say 'good kill' and go about my way with no bragging then that does not make me a toxic player.

I also agree with those that have said competition between roles (healers / DPS / tanks) is a good thing and usually helps keep players on their game. As long as they aren't dying by trying to tunnel the boss or gain a lot of vengeance or whatever else.

--

In terms of Resto Shaman I absolutely detest the 'mana battery' mentality. MTT needs to change to scale off the receivers spirit. Resto Shaman spread healing also needs to be further addressed come 6.0, and they need a bit of a mechanical streamline / overhaul.

Specs should be within a certain margin of power to eachother and currently I feel as though Resto Shaman are lagging behind.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
The word toxic has become toxic and everyone should stop using it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Meters on trash are disregarded. The only thing that matters is boss, and even then only as a reference. I don't know how most guilds run, but mine puts more emphasis on the boss being down than the meters. Instead we use them as a reference to compare combined hps output and the suggested levels. IF we aren't hitting our targets, maybe then whoever is the lowest hps might have to pick it up.

In this circumstance, meters are a very useful tool.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Really, in two healing (mostly as disc) with a resto shaman, the healing meters are mostly indicative of whether or not we are over healing the encounter. I have lots more.... we are bored (and I should stop anything but atonement to let her have more to do - we don't really like one healing farm content). She has lots more... we are barely making it. About even... nice fight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]