Help! I'm Spell Locked and I Can't Get Up!

90 Gnome Mage
I was in a group in Dire Maul on my level 43 Holy Paladin and I was healing through the dungeon just fine until we got to the last boss. He Spell Locked me for 15 seconds. Since this was the first time I had ever encountered this strong of a Spell Lock, I was just standing there dumbfounded while my group died before my eyes. As we all know this boss already hits very hard. Without heals, it's practically impossible to defeat him at this level. After the wipe everyone started yelling at me because I just stood there and watched them die. I quickly explained the issue at hand and they laid off, but we ended up having to use 2 healers to beat the boss (me and a Druid who had an secondary spec as resto). What can I do to avoid this kind of wipe in the future?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Your group should not have died in 15 seconds of you not being able to heal. Next time, call out (or type) that you are locked out of your spells.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I was the highest level person there. Everyone else was at the bottom of the level range for that dungeon. We made excellent time through the rest of the dungeon but on the last boss we basically ran into a brick wall. Our tank was a monk. He was the only person besides me who wasn't in all cloth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If it happens, call it out, so hopefully someone can off-heal or the tank can use a CD

To avoid it, stay at max range from the tank. That particular boss's counterspell has a 30 yard range, so just stay as far away as you can be and you'll be fine. The next time you will probably run into this is on some of the trash in Blood Furnace. Again, the solution is to out-range it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If it happens, call it out, so hopefully someone can off-heal or the tank can use a CD

To avoid it, stay at max range from the tank. That particular boss's counterspell has a 30 yard range, so just stay as far away as you can be and you'll be fine. The next time you will probably run into this is on some of the trash in Blood Furnace. Again, the solution is to out-range it.

This. Hopefully your group will see it and at least know what's happening. Some mobs and bosses have some nasty spell locks and stuns and if the DPS isn't paying attention things go bad fast.

I mentioned a little while ago I was healing the first part of H SM on my human Priest. The tank pulled a whole room and I was repeatedly stunned. I used EMFH to save the tank but towards the end I was stunned and helplessly watched the tank die. And then got yelled at. It happens to us all and all you can do is do the best you can under the circumstances and if the group has a problem, well at that point it's out of your hands.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
On a holy paladin if it is not a boss you can stun the mob.
If you are human you can Every Man For Himself out of a silence.
I understand how hard it can be typing things out while frantically trying to fix things on the fly.
(I swear Tiriel types with her feet while healing)
You can also out range it.

If you cannot type you can make a macro

/s I cannot heal, I am spell locked. Please use CDs.

Even baby tanks have 'em by Dire Maul.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If I type while healing, it ends up looking like a two year old typed it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've had this once or twice. I just look at my bars and if I can cast ANYTHING I cast that! :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

I prefer
/y OH GOD, YOU'RE @#%$ED!
Edited by Frozenorange on 7/26/2013 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
07/26/2013 04:22 AMPosted by Frozenorange

I prefer
/y OH GOD, YOU'RE @#%$ED!

ha!

/y Save yourselves!
/y Don't die!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest

WoW is by far the most effective typing teacher I've had.

Nothing teaches you type faster than trying to say something to your group while running out of fire and avoiding boss mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
On a holy paladin if it is not a boss you can stun the mob.
I understand how hard it can be typing things out while frantically trying to fix things on the fly.
(I swear Tiriel types with her feet while healing)
You can also out range it.

If you cannot type you can make a macro

Even baby tanks have 'em by Dire Maul.

You can also Divine Shield out of a silence.
Uhless I'm wrong, then you can't.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
You can also Divine Shield out of a silence.
Uhless I'm wrong, then you can't.

Nice xD. I will check up on that.

I've had this once or twice. I just look at my bars and if I can cast ANYTHING I cast that! :D

I could only cast Rebuke and Crusader Strike. I'm taking up First Aid after my experience in that dungeon. At least I will have something to heal with.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

I made a macro for a /y. I also stayed at max range in the dungeon today and I didn't get spell locked. Blood Furnace is always fun. My Druid healer is that level. It's.... Interesting.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
07/26/2013 12:08 AMPosted by Winnifred

You can only trinket blanket silences not school lockouts
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
07/26/2013 05:31 AMPosted by Flintte

WoW is by far the most effective typing teacher I've had.

Nothing teaches you type faster than trying to say something to your group while running out of fire and avoiding boss mechanics.

Never thought about that before, but so true.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
You can only be locked out of a school if you're hit while casting, so if you're having trouble with a particular mob couterspelling you, try leaning on your instant casts as much as possible for that encounter.

I don't know Pallys very well, but I assume you get HS and WoG pretty early? I think I fought that boss recently (on my baby ally priest) using PW: Shield, renew, and HW: Solace. If you really need a heal and all your instants are unavailable, try to use your fastest cast (Flash of light, right?) - after all, it's not like mana is an issue at that level :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]