Disc and the Legendary cloak

90 Draenei Priest
Is it going to be worth turning in our 608 epic for the 600 legendary?

http://ptr.wowhead.com/compare?items=98149.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.2;102247;98150.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.2;102246

By choosing the Epic 608 healing cloak you gain:
138 Intellect
208 Stamina
992 Spirit
74 Mastery (0.12)
74 Haste (0.17%)

By choosing the Epic 608 DPS cloak you gain:
138 Intellect
208 Stamina
74 Mastery (0.12)
992 Crit (1.65%)
74 Haste (0.17%)

By choosing the Legendary proc:
Your healing spells have a chance to grant you Spirit of Chi-Ji, increasing all healing done by 5% and causing all overhealing to be redistributed to up to 5 nearby injured friends, for 10 sec. (Approximately procrppm procs per minute)

This does not count atonement or shield effects as healing spells. PoH is generally used in conjunction with Spirit Shell.

Spells disc has it will proc off of:
ProM
Greater Heal
Flash Heal
Heal
Binding Heal
Non SS PoH
Non Atonement Penance
Desperate Prayer (talent choice)
Renew (listing because someone will, Disc does NOT use this stupid spell in combat)
Cascade/ Halo/ Divine Star (talent choice, pick one)

Of those, which does disc actually USE in a raid?

So, should we just stick with the 608 cloak, ignore the legendary? Should we get the dps cloak? What are you all planning?

P.S. this is a discussion, not a !@#$%-fest. They are not going to change it to benefit Disc, we already know that. With that in mind, I am simply curious what others intend to do.

Edit: as far as I know it will not proc off atonement or shields, from what I've read. If I am wrong someone link an SS, please :-)
Edited by Rauri on 7/27/2013 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Edit: Read the whole thing wrong the first time. If you're concerned about disc not being able to proc the cloak, it uses the RPPM system so unless you're going a verrrry long time without casting a "real" heal, you should get roughly the same amount of procs as a different healer with the same amount of haste. If Atonement and PW:S actually don't proc it, I'd be really interested in seeing how well Disc could control the proc seeing as how we're perfectly capable of healing low-damage periods with nothing more than PW:S and Atonement.
Edited by Nixxin on 7/27/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Edit: Pretty sure I read that wrong. If you're concerned about disc not being able to proc the cloak, it uses the RPPM system so unless you're going a verrrry long time without casting a "real" heal, you should get roughly the same amount of procs as a different healer with the same amount of haste.

Hope so, at least that part would be good. But also hoping for some confirmation on it affecting the other spells. At the moment there has been absolutely no word on it one way or the other. Based on previous proc trinkets and legendarys, it seems it could go either way on what it does and does not affect "heal" wise.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Just saw your second bit.

Good point, get the proc then use the proc? But will the proc itself affect those spells, even if those spells don't trigger it?

Ok I feel like I am going down a rabbit hole, lol.

Meh, guess it's just a wait it out game, bound to be someone from ptr spilling it soon.
Edited by Rauri on 7/27/2013 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They need to just let the cloak be upgraded. This isn't a decision people should be forced into IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Going off previous experience, the healing bonus will affect everything other than PW:S (...maybe. Archangel seems to be an outlier when it comes to absorbs so who knows), and the OH distribution thing will affect everything but SS and PW:S (and DA but the heal that caused the DA will get distributed).

Worth mentioning that I'm coming from the standpoint of being in a high damage AoE situation where SS will get eaten as soon as it's applied and we have to resort to using regular PoH (Rampage, Fist Smash, etc). Which is the only situation I really care about since that's when the distribution proc may actually make a difference rather than just be a fun little meter padder.
Edited by Nixxin on 7/27/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I know it doesn't pertain so much to disc but I think based on what this poster on mmo was saying in the priest forums in the holy priest thread were probably going to see another overhaul of the healing legendary proc before it goes live and il just quote it below.

If they don't change the proc any healer which experiences a high % of OH (Resto Druids, MWs, Resto Shaman, Holy Priests) are going to be Gods. For me, on Sha of Pride HC, despite the legendary cloak scaling to 550 (which incidently cut it's RPPM from 1.4 to 0.89) the legendary proc did around 15-20%~ of my total healing done on most attempts. It's going to get changed though, it's way too powerful on PTR at the moment.

I don't think blizzard will allow something that can potentially do 15-20% of someone's healing for one spec and leave the others out or say hey all you ppl who don't have the cloak tough !@#$.
Edited by Rapsidy on 7/28/2013 5:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Interesting Rapsidy, and you're probably correct.

However... Ulduar mace says hi..... So I guess I am just HOPING you are correct, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It's 100% possible for the healing proc to be OP for some specs and merely useful for others. It happens all the time with trinkets. Wondering how Discipline will use the proc is a very valid question.

Prayer of Mending
Greater Heal
Flash Heal
Binding Heal
Non SS PoH
Non Atonement Penance
Cascade/ Halo/ Divine Star (talent choice, pick one)

I use all of these spells in combat, and having a 5% boost to them would be cool. Unfortunately they're all low-overheal except for Divine Star -- that's the nature of Disc healing; you don't use these spells unless they're really needed. So the healing proc feels kind of "ehh" to me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think the fact that we, as disc healers, only use the heals that cause the cloak to proc when we need them will play to our advantage. Back when I used to play holy I would constantly be casting a "normal heal" either Heal or PoH even when there was low damage because that was my only option and I might be bored. However as disc priest we should be defaulting to atonement, which from my reading does not proc the cloak, but when serious damage is going out we will cast the heals that proc the cloak and these are specifically the times when we would benefit the most from the cloak.

Obviously this is all theory and may be complete crap but I for one am not going to pass up the opportunity to get a legendary item even if it isn't 100% ideal. Besides I think the proc animation for the healer cloak looks pretty awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
07/27/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Nixxin
it uses the RPPM system

what nixxin is saying is very important. also consider that the rppm values are adjusted for each spec and each healer. for example, the proc rate per minute in disc spec is .81 while holy is .58

while this is likely due to the fact that disc's actual overhealing is low and is mostly to balance the effective healing of the proc, it remains to see which spec will benefit the most from it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I did some napkin math on this not that long ago, I think the average came out to around 4-5% throughput from the overheal proc and a less than 1% throughput increase from the 5% healing aspect.

EDIT: For Disc. I based it on a random Megaera kill of mine.
Edited by Skootalloo on 9/10/2013 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The question also seems to be what does the DPS cloak proc off of? If it's "harmful" spells it won't proc off anything but smite and holy fire, and cascade i guess, and that's no fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The question also seems to be what does the DPS cloak proc off of? If it's "harmful" spells it won't proc off anything but smite and holy fire, and cascade i guess, and that's no fun.

I don't believe it procs off of smite or Holy Fire, and no one in their right mind would use Cascade offensively while healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't believe it procs off of smite or Holy Fire, and no one in their right mind would use Cascade offensively while healing.

I should probably know this by now, but does the cloak proc have a chance to trigger off of each target that halo/cascade/DS hits, or is it one chance per use?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Considering disc is not so much about overhealing, I'm tempted to say the crit proc and passive crit from the dps caster cloak is going to be better.

But since holy is probably going to shine this tier.. i would still go for the healing one.
Edited by Macphisto on 9/10/2013 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
are we operating under the assumption/knowledge that spells or effects incapable of triggering the proc are also unable to benefit from the effect of the proc?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Can anyone comment on how the DPS legendary cloak proc behaves with atonement based spells definitively yet? If no one has an answer in a few hours, I will post with results after work.
Edited by Ovi on 9/10/2013 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Can anyone comment on how the DPS legendary cloak proc behaves with atonement based spells definitively yet? If no one has an answer in a few hours, I will post with results after work.

interested in this too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]