Best dps 5.4?

90 Orc Hunter
As per usual the debate has become a spitting contest between locks and mages, each claiming that their top 3 class is somehow inferior to the other.

If you like mobility, play a hunter.
If you like numbers, play a mage or assassination rogue.
If you like utility, play a warlock.

Fair warning, hunter and rogue specs are pretty samey at the moment so if sticking to one spec isn't your kettle of fish then a warlock is probably your best bet.

Also don't listen to the following advice unless you plan on going for world firsts:

Don't ever, ever listen to people tell you to,"play the class you like".

You like to play DPS because you want to do the most damage in the most efficient way, and top your raid's meters.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

Fair warning, hunter and rogue specs are pretty samey at the moment so if sticking to one spec isn't your...

Same for mages.

Frost and Fire feel like the same spec. Both involve spamming a long-cast stationary filler spell, reacting to proc by pressing the appropriate button, and then taking advantage of your long cooldown.

The main difference is the color of the spells you cast.
Edited by Mistwynd on 7/29/2013 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Same for mages.

Frost and Fire feel like the same spec. Both involve spamming a long-cast stationary filler spell, reacting to proc by pressing the appropriate button, and then taking advantage of your long cooldown.

The main difference is the color of the spells you cast.

Noted. I haven't played a mage this expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
And alot of those issues you mentioned in regards to frost and arcane are being touched on with the new Ice Floes design. Neither a band aid fix nor the go to talent of that tier. More of a medium between the two. Great for some specs, terrible for others.

The issues you describe for arcane more point out the age of the turret style gameplay and a need for blizz to take a look at encounter designs more than anything else.

Arcane honestly is a dead spec in TOT, save for a few lucky fights and procs where you can cheese nether tempest. SoO is bit more stationary friendly than TOT. As I recall there are no durumu maze phases which was the biggest road block for mages and other casters.

New Ice Floes design sounds completely worthless to me:

Old Ice Floes: can cast up to 2 spells while moving every 45 seconds = 2.66 spellcasts per minute.
New Ice Floes: 3 charges, 20 seconds to generate a charge, each charge good for 1 spell = 3 spellcasts per minute.

3 spells per minute is supposed to solve arcane's mobility issues??? lol! It's barely stronger than the old ice floes... a talent so useless no mage ever took it.

Even worse, Ice Floes is extremely clunky to actually use. The Ice Floes button has to be manually activated before casting each individual spell.

A macro could help with this, but that still means setting a macro button on a hotkey that can be pressed while moving for an ability only usable 3x per minute. Not an easy proposition when hotkeys are so limited.
Edited by Mistwynd on 7/29/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It is kind of amusing watching the two most OP classes sniping at each other in a vain effort to obfuscate their OP'ness. Easy there guys, you could hurt yourselves getting so twisted up in denial.

The answer to the OP's question is the same as it has been for every expansion of the last 5-6 years. If you want to pull the top DPS in the game you only have a limited (1-2) number of class options.

If you just want to enjoy the game casually and are not overly concerned with where you fall on the DPS meters, then you can select whatever class floats your boat.

It all depends on your end goals.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Glad I could oblige. Someone has to keep the fires burning for all classes that aren't Magelock. :)

But I know you must be feeling a little angst about potentially not having all 3 of your specs in the top 5 next patch. Hope you are doing ok.
Reply Quote
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings

Just found this recently, so I don't know much about it's trustworthiness.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Ah Cortland, think of the devil and he shall appear. I was wondering when the most pessimistic hunter in the game would show up.

Which links will you grace us with in this thread?

How is your relationship with Mahourai and Alordis? I hope you union blesses you with much joy and offspring.

Keep my name out of your mouth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Arms Warriors
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
The new KJC is not baseline. Shaman Lighting Bolt is baseline for all specs

I've been thinking about this today and I'm wondering why the "filler" nukes for each spec arent all made castable while moving

l.bolt, incen, frost bolt, arcane blast, etc etc. None of them are particularly hard hitting (thats why they're filler) with the exception of a fully stacked A.blast but you have to stop to channel AM still. But NOT being able to stand and cast them destroys your entire damage output and other abilities. Frost cant get FoF procs, destro cant build embers, druids cant generate their moon magic powers... Not being able to stand still for those classes cuts you off from the vast majority of your damage

in this day and age of wow, rooting yourself for your filler nuke is just obnoxious.

Frankly i think KJC/IF design needs to just be baseline for filler nukes for casters, leave your big stuff as being proced for instant cast or require you be standing still for a moment to cast them, but give each caster spec enough mobility with their fillers that they can (without wasting a talent on it) keep SOME of their dps going on the move.

(a note for frost: if the concern about frostbolt being the "only" casted spell is a big deal, theirs could probably make FFB mobile instead, you'd have to glyph it just to get the cast time down to near frostbolt levels, and even then I think it does less damage.. could be the trade off for their mobility, fire has scorch which is fast but lower damage, frost could have FFB which is slower and less damage, but hey running and casting is worth it)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Here is a parse from essentially a patchwerk fight- Twins 25m Normal.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-d2zy8p4ak8frhmdo/sum/damageDone/?s=1293&e=1772

The gear of Shaood through shadowsill is nearly equivalent. I am held back significantly by an LFR weapon. Single target- monks destroy, as do mages, rogues and paladins.

So no, warriors are not one of the lower specs, they are middle back, as compared to other melee, they are right around dks, below paladins, and significantly below rogues.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Here is a parse from essentially a patchwerk fight- Twins 25m Normal.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-d2zy8p4ak8frhmdo/sum/damageDone/?s=1293&e=1772

The gear of Shaood through shadowsill is nearly equivalent. I am held back significantly by an LFR weapon. Single target- monks destroy, as do mages, rogues and paladins.

So no, warriors are not one of the lower specs, they are middle back, as compared to other melee, they are right around dks, below paladins, and significantly below rogues.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Just generalizing. The data still fits in well with what many parses have shown
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
How is your relationship with Mahourai and Alordis? I hope you union blesses you with much joy and offspring.

Shotgun godmother!

07/30/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Kagecamia
All your shots got buffed in damage and focus cost though.

Arcane Shot was buffed, focus cost increased as well.
Murder of Crows was increase.
Explosive Trap was nerfed.

Any other changes to damage were tooltip updates.

OT: It's hard to say what the top DPS is 5.4. Some classes are going through some heavy changes.
Watch this space.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
mages warlocks and rogues as historically always up top on damage meters. pick one and stick with it if you always want to be high dps.
Reply Quote
a) the class that you play the best is what will be the best for you

b) 5.4 balancing hasn't finished yet. nobody can say which spec will be on top
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]