LOVING My Ret Pally

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm a long time warrior and hunter who resisted creating a ret pally for a long time because of all the negative feedback I'd read. One thread, where a person asked if he should create one for PVP, was met with the response, "Just don't."

But I created one anyway and I'm thrilled i did. I've been playing wow a long time and I don't think I've ever had a character that felt so natural to play. It just suits me. And I think maybe that's what FOTM chasers miss out on - creating a character that feels at one with how they personally like to play, which can make quite a difference in PVP (and PVE, too).

Maybe my experience will change when I ding 90 and start doing more arenas and rated battlegrounds, but from 1 to 87, where I currently stand, I've loved every minute of it. I frequently top the charts in BGs and am rarely out of the Top 5.

More importantly, however, it's just fun. Especially compared to my warrior. Yeah, I give up some DPS, but I feel I more than make up for it with all the utility I get. Heals, shields, stuns, my every 5-minute (soon to be 3) pet. When I'm attacked one on one in the open world by anything but a 90, I just smile, and then proceed to beat the living crap out of whoever was dumb enough to attack me.

It's hard to imagine finding another class in this game that I'll enjoy playing more. Ret Pally feels perfect. And, from what I've read on the 5.4 patch notes, it's only going to get better.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Just know it's one of the most gear dependant classes in the game.

Ret pally with no gear - awful
Ret pally with no gear and utilizes offense,defense,hands,support - awful
Ret pally with gear - awful
ret pally with gear and utilizes offensive, defense, hands, support - amazing.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Just know it's one of the most gear dependant classes in the game.

Ret pally with no gear - awful
Ret pally with no gear and utilizes offense,defense,hands,support - awful
Ret pally with gear - awful
ret pally with gear and utilizes offensive, defense, hands, support - amazing.

I plan to fully deck this guy out in Tyrannical gear, so that shouldn't be an issue.

And my Naga mouse and Logitech gaming keyboard make using all the Pally's various and sundry powers a breeze.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Oh.. Then /highfive

woo pallys
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I get how the class could FEEL weak, if not played properly. Trying to play it just like a warrior, for example. But for someone who can take full advantage of the pally's utility, it's a wonderful class. So. Much. Fun.
Edited by Wärangel on 7/31/2013 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am a long time warrior and love the class and this pally is my 2nd 90 and I love playing the paladin now. I still really enjoy playing the warrior but their defensives are lacking so it's easy to be burst down by other classes...just utilize all of your tools and you'll do great.
Reply Quote
Agreed with OP; coming from playing a warrior really makes you love the class even more. Offers mostly everything a warrior does, but with a bit better range, much better survivability, and significantly better aoe. Little less mobile, but warriors are cc magnets, so the mobility really is only a compensation.

I'm currently burning through levels so I can start raiding to turn my ret into my new main.
Edited by Struggler on 8/1/2013 12:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It certainly brings out your altruistic side. Ret also makes being a support class really fun. Smashing hard dps is always good times, but being able to drop huge fols and game changing hands has it's own reward.
Reply Quote
It certainly brings out your altruistic side. Ret also makes being a support class really fun. Smashing hard dps is always good times, but being able to drop huge fols and game changing hands has it's own reward.

Definitely. Many times when running dungeons I've tossed out some heals of my own to help out a healer that is struggling, whether it's due to them being new to the role, or the game in general (or maybe just bad?), I don't know, but it's nice to help out. It keeps us all alive too, lol.

I've yet to take my ret into any bgs as I'm just rushing to 90, but I'm looking forward to taking that helpful mentality into pvp.
Edited by Struggler on 8/1/2013 12:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I get how the class could FEEL weak, if not played properly. Trying to play it just like a warrior, for example. But for someone who can take full advantage of the pally's utility, it's a wonderful class. So. Much. Fun.

I'm glad you're enjoying ret, dude.

I decided to pick up my pally about a month ago and rolled ret instead of holy. I'm thrilled to hear someone else say that supporting others is fun instead of asking why they're not doing as much spike damage as the warrior. It's my favorite spec just because of the support potential.

Keep on keepin' on, brother.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/01/2013 06:55 AMPosted by Jovor

I'm glad you're enjoying ret, dude.

I decided to pick up my pally about a month ago and rolled ret instead of holy. I'm thrilled to hear someone else say that supporting others is fun instead of asking why they're not doing as much spike damage as the warrior. It's my favorite spec just because of the support potential.

Keep on keepin' on, brother.

Even if you don't DIRECTLY heal others, you can be of benefit to the healer in the group because, essentially, you can look out for yourself, taking some of the pressure of them.

But again, to me, where the pally really shines is out in an open PVP world. I've had opposing faction people walk up to me ... THINK about starting a fight ... realize I was a pally and just walk away. Always fun.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
First of all, sorry about my poor english language.*

I was almost doing a new thread to talk exactly about thi: Pally x War. I play as war since TBC, and in Cata I got a Pally retri and BANG: great heal, great survivability, great dmg.... And I kinda entered in a "existential crisis", like in lore... And I just abandoned my pally...

This week I was bored, and tired... So I came back with pally and I don't want leave him anymore :F

Still love my war, but man, it's so easy and cool play as pally. My dps is ranged and meele, i can heal my self and others.I have good skills for movement, a little bit of CC... And there you go: A warrior more simple with heals and ranged.

Just want to leave this comment here, to prove like a warrior how pally is so attractive for pvp.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
My pally :]
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I think the pally hate comes from people who've largely played ranged characters in the past. Making the switch to melee can be a little rough.

But if you've, by and large, played a warrior, then switching to a ret pally is a revelation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I created this pally back in 2006 when the only reason to bring a pally to a raid was for buffs and an OOC rez. She was human at the time and is still proudly rockin' the Knight-Champion title. It was my second level 60 toon.

Just got back into WoW after like a three year hiatus and have grown attached to my paladin again. Except I must say that I'm amazed this class still doesn't have a gap closer???
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I created this pally back in 2006 when the only reason to bring a pally to a raid was for buffs and an OOC rez. She was human at the time and is still proudly rockin' the Knight-Champion title. It was my second level 60 toon.

Just got back into WoW after like a three year hiatus and have grown attached to my paladin again. Except I must say that I'm amazed this class still doesn't have a gap closer???

Long Arm of The Law isn't a gap closer?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Except I must say that I'm amazed this class still doesn't have a gap closer???

Try Long Arm and Burden of Guilt.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/01/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Except I must say that I'm amazed this class still doesn't have a gap closer???

Try Long Arm and Burden of Guilt.

paired with double freedoms and emancipate too, we have mobility.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Loved my Ret ever since I made it awhile ago....been through all the ups and downs, right now I feel like Ret is in a good place, it's easy to enjoy the spec at the moment, and I agree it's the most most fun it's been in awhile.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ive been ret since vanilla/BC and seen and experienced all the highs ( Wotlk Patch, lawl ) and the low's ( every other time thats NOT wotlk ) and I have to say ret atm is the best its ever been
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]