Past Legendary Items for 5.4 Discussion

(Locked)

Community Manager
No extra sockets in 5.4? Then why the hell did you update the 5.2 weapons from ToT to be able to use them? This is incredibly stupid and seems like a total oversight. 1750g for a new weapon socket is SO not that expensive.

We updated the 5.2 weapons to allow the additional socket (but not the Sha-touched gems) because a very large number of players were getting their extra sockets just in time for the patch to drop (and thus, would only be able to use their reward for a week or two). That's not the case with 5.4. The 5.2 legendary meta gem will continue to function, and the 5.3 epic cloak will upgrade into the 5.4 legendary.

We feel that, at this point, the Sha-Touched gem and socket have had plenty of time to be useful and it's time for them to go. As Lothrik mentioned, we'll be balancing content assuming that they're not present anyway. That said, nothing on the PTR is final, and we are still open to discussion on the topic.
90 Tauren Death Knight
That said, nothing on the PTR is final, and we are still open to discussion on the topic.

Since this is an open discussion. Please allow us to use them in 5.4. I'd rather you guys balance content around them, then have them be useless. We should able to use everything Wrathion has given us up to this point to help us defeat Garrosh.

I honestly don't see the problem of adding a Sha-toched socket to the legendary cloak and just allowing eye of the black prince to be used on 5.4 weapons just like we were able to in 5.2.
Edited by Zerkon on 7/29/2013 3:09 PM PDT
90 Worgen Mage
Well I think rather than explicitly letting the items be used as they were made by adding sockets/making 5.4 weapons socketable a lot of us expected them to be transmuted together in some fashion for something else.
90 Pandaren Monk
We spent time doing each quest to end up with a Legendary, it doesn't feel as "legendary" when the final part of this questline is a cloak (no matter how overpowered) and we lose the ability to use these gem sockets/ Sha-touched gems, that we spent time to get, in current gear/content. I think it would seem like a better idea to put a Sha-touched gem socket inside of the Legendary Cloak and allow 5.4 weapons to get the Prismatic Gem socket.
So as a caster who does not care about weapon damage, why would I upgrade my ilvl530 weapon for a SoO one? I do not think the ilvl is not going to make up for a loss of an EXTRA gem slot.
Edited by Mortakii on 7/29/2013 3:12 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
We spent time doing each quest to end up with a Legendary, it doesn't feel as "legendary" when the final part of this questline is a cloak (no matter how overpowered) and we lose the ability to use these gem sockets/ Sha-touched gems

Agreed
90 Draenei Death Knight
[quote]we are still open to discussion on the topic.

I would bet large sums of money that no one who did the quest enjoys the fact that their rewards are now useless. It's a giant chain, it should all connect.

Why not allow the Eye of the Black Prince to add a Sha-touched socket to the legendary cloaks?
90 Tauren Druid
[quote As Lothrik mentioned, we'll be balancing content assuming that they're not present anyway. That said, nothing on the PTR is final, and we are still open to discussion on the topic.

So, since the Legendary Cloaks are supposedly 'easy' to obtain in 5.4, will you be designing Siege of Ogrimmar assuming everyone in the raids has them?
90 Troll Priest
We feel that, at this point, the Sha-Touched gem and socket have had plenty of time to be useful and it's time for them to go. As Lothrik mentioned, we'll be balancing content assuming that they're not present anyway. That said, nothing on the PTR is final, and we are still open to discussion on the topic.

I and a lot of others were hoping we would get to used everything for the final patch.

Since you can't upgrade the cloak x2 you could put the 500 stat gem in it, and well the other 2 are no brainer the meta isn't a issue and the socket was a given.
Edited by Soulyouth on 7/29/2013 3:13 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
To everyone claiming that putting the sha-touched gem in the cloak would be bad story telling, how do you figure? It's like none of you even paid attention to the damn quest. Wrathion took the Sigils of Power, Wisdom and the Chimera of Fear then forged them all together with his own power. How is that working with the Sha of Pride, exactly? If anything we're using his power along with the celestials, LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD DO WHEN YOU COMPLETED THE 5.3 CLOAK QUEST.
90 Pandaren Monk
So as a caster who does not care about weapon damage, why would I upgrade my ilvl530 weapon for a SoO one? I do not think the ilvl is not going to make up for a loss of an EXTRA gem slot.

Probably because an SoO weapon will have 2-3k more Spell Power then a 530 one, however i'm 100% against the loss of a gem socket in weapons. Feels like I wasted my time doing those quests - even though it'll lead to a legendary cloak, and in the future for alts it'll be more wasted time doing the first two parts of the legendary questline if they cannot be used in end game content.
90 Orc Warrior
07/29/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Hemine
We spent time doing each quest to end up with a Legendary, it doesn't feel as "legendary" when the final part of this questline is a cloak (no matter how overpowered) and we lose the ability to use these gem sockets/ Sha-touched gems

Agreed

I concur x1000000000000000000000000000
90 Orc Warrior
07/29/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Deathpalm
in the future for alts it'll be more wasted time doing the first two parts of the legendary questline if they cannot be used in end game content.

This bit gets me the most. Once 5.4 comes out the first parts of the legendary quests will be completely useless for any new 90. Oh, nice. I got that extra gem socket that's totally worthless, like the 500 gem socket gem is RIGHT NOW ON MY WARLOCK.
90 Human Warlock

Because a 553 weapon is going to have more than 160 base int increase over you 526 dagger? How is that hard to understand?
90 Troll Priest
If they are not going to be able to be used, is there going to be some faster way to play catch up for alts or people who are main switching come 5.4?

It really is kind of depressing that you spend all this time working towards the cloak on a new character and going through the lore of Wrathion equipping you with worthless items you cannot use.

The weeks spent getting the sigils followed by the 3 weeks getting valor(which has already been lowered) followed by the numerous weeks getting Secrets(got 2 this week on my alt) and followed by Runestones(gotten 1 for 3 straight weeks). It all seems like a TON of catch up for the cloak on alts or new mains.

I have purposely held onto my gem on my alt because we were told not to dismiss them that we maybe able to use them in a later patch.

Make the gems only work with the socket. That way you are still wielding the tools Wrathion gave you to further your efforts.
07/29/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Zerkon
That said, nothing on the PTR is final, and we are still open to discussion on the topic.

Since this is an open discussion. Please allow us to use them in 5.4. I'd rather you guys balance content around them, then have them be useless. We should able to use everything Wrathion has given us up to this point to help us defeat Garrosh.

I honestly don't see the problem of adding a Sha-toched socket to the legendary cloak and just allowing eye of the black prince to be used on 5.4 weapons just like we were able to in 5.2.

This sounds good, except I wouldn't want to pay the 10k to get another Sha-Touched Gem for my cloak.
Edited by Delko on 7/29/2013 3:21 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
07/29/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Lore
No extra sockets in 5.4? Then why the hell did you update the 5.2 weapons from ToT to be able to use them? This is incredibly stupid and seems like a total oversight. 1750g for a new weapon socket is SO not that expensive.

We updated the 5.2 weapons to allow the additional socket (but not the Sha-touched gems) because a very large number of players were getting their extra sockets just in time for the patch to drop (and thus, would only be able to use their reward for a week or two). That's not the case with 5.4. The 5.2 legendary meta gem will continue to function, and the 5.3 epic cloak will upgrade into the 5.4 legendary.

The absence of the socket might cause balancing issues between upgraded Heroic TF Weapons (549 ilevel) and the normal mode SoO gear (553 ilevel).
90 Human Warlock
Seeing as it's going to be irreplaceable (the cloak), forking over 10k for a new gem is hardly a concern I would have. Make the cloaks have a sha socket and I'd pay twice that, because having a worthless item that has orange text is seriously disappointing. The rewards from Wrathion should work together as a whole, not as fragments to be thrown away, that doesn't make them seem very "legendary"...
90 Troll Warlock
The absence of the socket might cause balancing issues between upgraded Heroic TF Weapons (549 ilevel) and the normal mode SoO gear (553 ilevel).

We may be able to upgrade items immediately, in which case a 561 weapon stacks up better against a 549.
90 Pandaren Monk
To everyone claiming that putting the sha-touched gem in the cloak would be bad story telling, how do you figure? It's like none of you even paid attention to the damn quest. Wrathion took the Sigils of Power, Wisdom and the Chimera of Fear then forged them all together with his own power. How is that working with the Sha of Pride, exactly? If anything we're using his power along with the celestials., LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD DO WHEN YOU COMPLETED THE 5.3 CLOAK QUEST.

The Gem itself isn't sha touched, the weapons are, you aren't going to put the 500 stat gem into the cloak because it isn't sha touched, it breaks story telling immensely, and they probably aren't going to do it.

They aren't going to make a cloak that is blessed by the Celestials be corrupted by the sha.
Edited by Dinosaurce on 7/29/2013 3:32 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]