[5.4 Spoilers]Stormwind Harbor

I'm stoked, really!

I can't wait for 5.4. :D
90 Gnome Warlock
Air Superiority -> Horde (we had the first airships)
Logistical Superiority -> Draw
Magical Superiority -> Horde Blood Elves far surpass Humans. Remember Elves are the ones that taught humans anything about magic in the first place.

Horde has no Airships left. Alliance has their fleets including the Skyfire.
The Barrens are, get this, Barren.
Jaina has the Focusing Iris and the Thunderking charged staff. Oh, and the Alliance now has Dalaran and the Kirin Tor.

Don't forget the night elves who are equal to blood elves in magic..
90 Undead Warlock
This better not be a what if SW exploded. That would be absurdly disappointing and cliche as &^&* from past expansions. This is by far the best news I got from this patch and all sudden Zarhym pops out alternate....
90 Night Elf Druid
It's really interesting to see people get so defensive over their faction getting hurt by the other faction. I think the problem is that the slighted faction (in this case, the Alliance) is blaming the wrong people.

The Devs didn't bomb Stormwind, the Horde did. Be mad at them.

Sorry, but I play Horde, and I'm pretty mad at the devs for giving the Alliance such a ridiculous, non-sensical story to go with SoO. "Why yes Horde, we will just come and help you kill Garrosh and just leave Orgrimmar without touching anything, this *totally* makes sense". I am not okay with crappy story writing in any part of WoW, no matter what faction I play.

I hear this A LOT in this thread, so lets take this another direction:

The US and Iraq were enemies for years under Sadam's control (whether it be because of oil or the fact that he was a complete DBag - the point is, his regime was the problem). We went to war (again politics aside - WMD or Oil isnt the point). We ousted Sadam. Did we take over Iraq? No we helped them rebuild then left.

The US and Afghanistan went to war in 2001 because their countries leadership the Taliban would not hand over Osama. We went in, ousted their leadership and are continuing to help Afghanistan rebuild even after 12 years.

The US is not out for blood. Decimating these countries into submission is not what the US's goal was. We did not agree with the leaderships thought processes so we changed those countries leaders. Same with the Alliance vs the Horde. The goal isn't to destroy, take over, or capture the Horde and make it an Alliance territory. The goal is to remove Garrosh and his followers because he is bats#@% crazy.
Community Manager
Hello, Alliance.

Howdy, Horde.

Understandably, there's a lot of rampant speculation about a version of Stormwind Harbor that has been found in the 5.4 PTR files with virtually no context behind what's going on in that environment, or where, how, and why it could be in the game. That should be relative to the time you spend drawing conclusions about what you know so far of this alternate Stormwind Harbor environment.

Food for thought! Happy Friday. :)

That sure was a lot of words that didn't mean anything. If you actually think that a contentless blue post is going to decrease the rampant speculation instead of increasing it, you're completely wrong.

My goal wasn't to stop people from speculating. I'm just saying that drawing a conclusion from what you know about this alternate version of Stormwind Harbor -- hidden somewhere in the 5.4 PTR files -- and using that to fuel the narrative that we don't care about the Alliance isn't very productive.

For example:

08/02/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Bomdanil
He's more trying to let us know whatever happens to the Harbor might be a dream sequence or just temporary(lasting only during the instance of whatever type).

Zarhym is the blue that gets sent into Lore threads to try to paint people seeking meaningful lore for the Alliance half of the game as tin cap enthusiasts. After all the times he told us "wait and see, Cataclysm's going to be awesome for Alliance" he's sort of lost any credibility in that regard.

This bummed me out, man. I guess I can't even argue that it's a gross mischaracterization of my interactions over the years on the Horde v. Alliance debates, but it certainly doesn't speak to my motivations for getting involved in these discussions.

I dunno. To have my career summarized like that in response to my post in this thread is... yea. I'm humbled? :p
90 Human Paladin
This bummed me out, man. I guess I can't even argue that it's a gross mischaracterization of my interactions over the years on the Horde v. Alliance debates, but it certainly doesn't speak to my motivations for getting involved in these discussions.

I dunno. To have my career summarized like that in response to my post in this thread is... yea. I'm humbled? :p

Well if there arent any intentions to improve Alliance story, dont make promises of "Itll get better" or "Fist pump moment"

Yknow.

<3

Not your fault, but people want to shoot the messenger
Edited by Chaz on 8/2/2013 3:35 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid

Sorry, but I play Horde, and I'm pretty mad at the devs for giving the Alliance such a ridiculous, non-sensical story to go with SoO. "Why yes Horde, we will just come and help you kill Garrosh and just leave Orgrimmar without touching anything, this *totally* makes sense". I am not okay with crappy story writing in any part of WoW, no matter what faction I play.

I hear this A LOT in this thread, so lets take this another direction:

The US and Iraq were enemies for years under Sadam's control (whether it be because of oil or the fact that he was a complete DBag - the point is, his regime was the problem). We went to war (again politics aside - WMD or Oil isnt the point). We ousted Sadam. Did we take over Iraq? No we helped them rebuild then left.

The US and Afghanistan went to war in 2001 because their countries leadership the Taliban would not hand over Osama. We went in, ousted their leadership and are continuing to help Afghanistan rebuild even after 12 years.

The US is not out for blood. Decimating these countries into submission is not what the US's goal was. We did not agree with the leaderships thought processes so we changed those countries leaders. Same with the Alliance vs the Horde. The goal isn't to destroy, take over, or capture the Horde and make it an Alliance territory. The goal is to remove Garrosh and his followers because he is bats#@% crazy.

So you're going to completely ignore the most important part of the situation?
Politics aside?
The whole point was that the US gained something from going in, the average Iraqi people were not in any way a direct threat or enemy of the US. The US entered Iraq for profit (read Oil, war profits for certain companies) and to remove someone in order to set up a government that would be more amiable to US interests.

The average Horde player IS a direct threat and an enemy of the Alliance. The Alliance enters Orgrimmar, gains absolutely nothing and gets absolutely nothing back that the Horde took for us and leaves to let a group of people who are still enemies (the rebellion) choose any official to continue to lead.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Zarhym is a good man, an honorable man. Do him no harm.
90 Orc Warrior

You are severely underestimating the vindictive nature of certain Alliance posters. (Who are, ironically, draenei players mostly.)
90 Human Paladin
You are severely underestimating the vindictive nature of certain Alliance posters. (Who are, ironically, draenei players mostly.)

Draenei players know all about getting ignored haha
90 Night Elf Druid

That sure was a lot of words that didn't mean anything. If you actually think that a contentless blue post is going to decrease the rampant speculation instead of increasing it, you're completely wrong.

My goal wasn't to stop people from speculating. I'm just saying that drawing a conclusion from what you know about this alternate version of Stormwind Harbor -- hidden somewhere in the 5.4 PTR files -- and using that to fuel the narrative that we don't care about the Alliance isn't very productive.

For example:

Zarhym is the blue that gets sent into Lore threads to try to paint people seeking meaningful lore for the Alliance half of the game as tin cap enthusiasts. After all the times he told us "wait and see, Cataclysm's going to be awesome for Alliance" he's sort of lost any credibility in that regard.

While I respect your attempt to bring calm into the situation, considering it's very likely this is just part of an event during Siege of Orgrimmar... The situation is much bigger than this one map file, it's about the fact that Alliance had been punched in the face over and over (lol Theramore, Southshore, Gilneas, The Park, Magni) while also being completely neglected during writing (lol entire 5.3 quest chain) and not seeing any of our supposed victories in game (Gilneas should be an Alliance controlled city, Dalaran should not be Horde accessible, Ashenvale should be mostly under Alliance control) and then to top it all off, we get dragged into a raid where we're just around to help the people responsible for most of our troubles defeat someone they now disagree with--without any sort of payment or gain.
90 Pandaren Monk
My fist is so pumped I feel like it's gonna fall off.

Wait, damn. That's muscle atrophy.
90 Human Paladin
So, Stormwind will have sha goo on its docks for the next 2 xpacs?
90 Human Monk

At least you are still the second sexiest blue, only next to Lore.
90 Night Elf Druid

Well if there arent any intentions to improve Alliance story, dont make promises of "Itll get better" or "Fist pump moment"

Yknow.

<3

Not your fault, but people want to shoot the messenger

This right here. It's getting pretty old being the doormat time after time. Seeing this will probably make or break my sub. I know nobody will care, i expect that. I care though. I love the alliance, always have. to see loss after loss after loss. It gets old real fast. And to hear Metzen say alliance will have their fist pump whatever and it never happened is kind of a bummer.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
DEFIAS EVENT!!
90 Gnome Warrior
Like everything else, I will take a wait and see attitude.

I think if Blizzard has learned anything from this I hope it's that they do not put the cart before the horse again. You guys partially created this uproar with the "don't worry, you're getting a fist pump moment" commentary directed at the Alliance.

Stop shooting yourself in the foot already.
90 Night Elf Hunter
More Alliance losses without recompense.

Yay story!
Edited by Xisa on 8/2/2013 3:49 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk
More Alliance losses without recompense.

Yay story!

Don't worry, if you read the books we're totally on even footing. It would just take too many resources to show the Alliance retaking Ashenvale. I mean, why bother phasing the world to show a book victory?

(Meanwhile, in Dustwallow Marsh...)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]