Connected Realms vs Virtual Realms

100 Tauren Shaman
Have Virtual Realms been renamed to Connected Realms? Will they have names/slugs like battlegroups do? Will we be able to query Connected Realms instead of regular realms entirely?

Does Blizzard have a plan for monetizing their API? Will they be providing some interesting write operations rather than purely read-only?
Edited by Lunarhawk on 8/5/2013 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Note that this isn't an official answer, just a guess.

Have Virtual Realms been renamed to Connected Realms?

Yes

Does Blizzard have a plan for monetizing their API? Will they be providing some interesting write operations rather than purely read-only?

Both unlikely.
Edited by Chaud on 8/5/2013 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
Yes, "Connected Realms" is the name for the feature that originally was called "virtual realms" on a PTR patch note.

Realms won't be changing. If Hyjal gets connected to another realm, the slug and name will remain the same and characters on Hyjal will still be referenced on the site and API in the same manner.

Don't know what you mean by "instead of" in your third question. As a user of the API (or website) nothing will really change. You will still be Lunarhawk on Earthen Ring even if Earthen Ring is connected to another realm.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Yes, "Connected Realms" is the name for the feature that originally was called "virtual realms" on a PTR patch note.

Realms won't be changing. If Hyjal gets connected to another realm, the slug and name will remain the same and characters on Hyjal will still be referenced on the site and API in the same manner.

Don't know what you mean by "instead of" in your third question. As a user of the API (or website) nothing will really change. You will still be Lunarhawk on Earthen Ring even if Earthen Ring is connected to another realm.

I believe they mean will you be able to do searches specifically within a specific home realm.

IE: If there are 3 home realms (A, B & C) within a Connected Realm. Lets say A is the players home realm. Will that player be able to search specifically within realm B or will it just be all of them together?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
What about Heirlooms if the realms are connected enough for Guilds can we use those?
Reply Quote
08/06/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Peratryn
Realms won't be changing.

True, the old concept of a 'realm' died with CRZ, this is simply the final nail in the coffin.
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
I believe they mean will you be able to do searches specifically within a specific home realm.

IE: If there are 3 home realms (A, B & C) within a Connected Realm. Lets say A is the players home realm. Will that player be able to search specifically within realm B or will it just be all of them together?

When you say do a search what do you mean? As far as I'm aware the community web api doesn't have the ability to do any searches. (It would be really bad if I didn't know about that feature ...)

If you're talking about in game searches then you'll have to post in the UI and macro forums, this is only for the community web api.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Will we see what realms are connected when choosing a realm? And will they have different character lists so that i can have more than 11 characters on one realm practically?
Reply Quote

When you say do a search what do you mean? As far as I'm aware the community web api doesn't have the ability to do any searches. (It would be really bad if I didn't know about that feature ...)

If you're talking about in game searches then you'll have to post in the UI and macro forums, this is only for the community web api.

While we have your attention, can you clarify if we'll be capable of sending mail between any two realms, or just two that are connected?

If so, how does the UI handle that task?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
None of these are API questions...

What about Heirlooms if the realms are connected enough for Guilds can we use those?

If realms are connected, you can send mail to people on the other realms in your group. (At least that is how it works on the PTR now)

And will they have different character lists so that i can have more than 11 characters on one realm practically?

Currently on the PTR you get 11 slots per realm, even if the realms are in the same group.

While we have your attention, can you clarify if we'll be capable of sending mail between any two realms, or just two that are connected?

If so, how does the UI handle that task?

You add a dash to the name when mailing an item. You can only mail items to connected realms.
Reply Quote
16 Night Elf Druid
08/07/2013 05:05 PMPosted by Peratryn

When I read their question I assumed they meant if you, say, /who Dalaran it will currently only show people from your realm who are in Dalaran and not anyone there via CRZ. If we /who Dalaran with Connected Realms, can we see all people from servers we're connected with or just our home server still?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
Peratryn, are there any changes being made to the API because of Connected Realms? I did a quick look thru the API and couldn't spot anything that would be a problem, but I'm sure we'd all appreciate an update if you are making any changes.

BTW, nice work on having the guild member list already support characters from different realms. I always wondered why it separately listed the realm name for each toon. It used to seem like a waste of bandwidth....
Edited by Kulakai on 8/8/2013 6:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
When I am looking on the web, in the auction house, I can see who purchased an item, but if I click on the name, I usually get the "Oops" page because they are on a connected realm, not on my realm. Does this issue appear in other places names are displayed on the web, and is anything being done to fix it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]