What was Paladin tanking like

90 Night Elf Death Knight
...in Vanilla and BC? I didn't start playing until Cata, and stories of the past always interested me. So now I'm curious about old-timey Paladin tanks.

I know that being a warrior was the required tanking stat way back when, but Paladin tanks were around. What was it like? How did you keep up with warrior tanks? What was gearing and stat building like? Where there things that Paladin tanks were better suited for?
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
I tried playing a paladin in vanilla. It was just an awful experience. Got to level 18 and gave up. Then I tried again in BC. The tank tree looked like a lot of fun then. I remember getting to around level 35 and speccing prot. AoE tank leveling was just awesome. I would pull huge amounts of mobs and just live, as long as casters werent in the mix lol. A great spot I still remember when I first tried this was a bunch of murlocs in dustwallow marsh I think. I had either a trinket or pants then when I attacked, it had a chance to put a bubble on me. Also a trinket that healed. I would put a shield spike on my shield, and let Blessing of Sanctuary, the spike, and soon holy shield do all of my damage.

Then when I hit 70 it was very difficult to find people to run heroics with. They would see a paladin tank looking for a group in chat and ignore me, looking for a warrior instead. When people would finally break down and run with me I blew them away with the awesomeness of a prot paladin. Picture this. You just entered black morass. Now with a warrior they would gather trash one or two at a time. Not me. I would mount up, tell people to just sit here i'll brb, and go off and gather everything!. They would laugh and expect me to die. Next thing you know I have like 30+ mobs on me, consecrate is down, holy shield is up, blessing of sanct is up. I have threat on everything, hp bar is holding steady. People would just be amazed. I made a huge amount of friends during this time. I never raided on my paladin though. Heroics were just to much fun.

Another quick bit since im talking about bc paladin tanking greatness. Heroic Shattered halls. People hated that instance. They could almost never make the time limit to rescue whoever it was at the end when they pugged it. Well, except when they had a pally tank lol :D

As for the gear. Prot gear needed a little bit of spell power on it. I loved my Dungeon set during that time. The Righteous Armor set with the Crystalforged Sword... good times.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I started playing on the very end of BC but this is about it.

- Buff blessing of protection and righteous fury. Use Devotion Aura.
- Use seal of righteousness, judge, recast seal, repeat.
- On pulling adds use avenger's shield then forget about the spell.
- Use holy shield on CD.
- Use consecration on CD.
- ?
- Profit (well sorta except when you needed a caster weapon and the tears followed).

- Leave main tanking to your warrior or bear friend (at least most of the fights).
Edited by Madmartygan on 8/2/2013 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I pvped as a prot paladin in vanilla, it was fun.

Sacred shield + retribution aura + thorns + thorium shield spike + Essence of flame trinket + engineering shield + AQ ring + Gnomeragon helm buff = Something silly like 480 damage reflected when i got hit on HPs of 1200-1500 lol i could just run through 40 people in AV and people would fall over killing themselves.

It was fun but durability losses were insane with the engineering shield so tanking was just awful. We really didn't have defensive talents like other classes, we just had the ability to wear plate armor lol.

In BC everything got better for everybody, save ret paladins they were still nerfed to the ground, but actually semi viable.

Not having resilience on pvp gear for like 4 seasons because ret had a defensive talent was pretty much a nail in the coffin for actually pvp lol.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Not having resilience on pvp gear for like 4 seasons because ret had a defensive talent was pretty much a nail in the coffin for actually pvp lol.

That's not why we didn't have resil. :(
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/02/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Cayse

Yup it was a talent that did like... 10% less damage taken from melee or something lol

That and +2 defense talents lol

^ literally kept us from having 0 resil. It was crushing and awful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
...in Vanilla and BC? I didn't start playing until Cata, and stories of the past always interested me. So now I'm curious about old-timey Paladin tanks.

I know that being a warrior was the required tanking stat way back when, but Paladin tanks were around. What was it like? How did you keep up with warrior tanks? What was gearing and stat building like? Where there things that Paladin tanks were better suited for?

Reckoning is all I remember
Edited by Kara on 8/2/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
There were paladin tanks in vanilla?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Yup it was a talent that did like... 10% less damage taken from melee or something lol

That and +2 defense talents lol

^ literally kept us from having 0 resil. It was crushing and awful.

No, what kept us from having resil was the fact that the gear had Strength, Int, Spell damage and crit and didn't have enough budget leftover for resil.

On topic:

In vanilla to pre 2.3 BC, prot was a mess because a lot of prot talents(Reckoning, Redoubt, etc) actually needed the paladin to get CRIT by a boss to activate. It was also harder for paladins to push crushing blows off the attack table. They also had poor threat generation as people have said before.

That said, after a few patches, top guilds like Crimson from Turalyon experimented with pally tanks and by tier 6 it was accepted that paladins were best tanks for AoE and fast hitting bosses.
Edited by Paolodin on 8/2/2013 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't roll this pally as my main until BC, so I can't speak to Vanilla. But BC tanking was still very fun, despite all of its flaws. The biggest hassle I remember having was that seals were only 30 second spells, and judging them would consume them for additional effects. So you would use several GCD's to judge (the now defunct) Seal of the Crusader for a much needed holy damage increase, then switch to Righteous and judge it for threat, or Light/Wisdom if you needed to keep those debuffs up on the boss. And Crusader's debuff was only 30 seconds long so you had to do this quite often over the course of a fight.

Then there was the plate spell damage gear that we used, which is of course now obsolete. I miss the uniqueness of that gear, though I definitely acknowledge that it needed to go. It also liked the uniqueness of tanking with a caster weapon (I loved getting the spell damage mace off trash in Hyjal and getting qq whispers from a pug priest).
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
In vanilla, prot sucked for pve. In pvp though, with a two hander, reckoning was the most fun I ever had in this game.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I started in the 2nd half of BC as well and I lvled and raided as Prot and it was very fun. It did suck having to fight for those caster weapons though. I didn't mind the seal system or the tanking style at the time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]