Saddest Character?

90 Goblin Warrior
Who, in your own personal opinion, is the saddest singular character in WoW?

Mine is a dead-up tie between Pamela Redpath and Jeremiah Payson.

Pamela Redpath is kind of obvious... ghost of an innocent child forced to walk Azeroth in the cold unkindness of undeath.

However, Jeremiah Payson...
For whatever reason, his story really brings me down.
I don't remember it exactly, but I remember specifically some dialogue where he says "Please don't step on a cockroach. Whenever someone steps on a cockroach, it makes me cry."
For me, this strikes some form of chord somewhere.
The way he says this, and just what he says in and of itself is just... heartbreaking. It shows a man who's been broken in both life and undeath, forced to sell cockroaches, his apparent only friends in the whole world, to travelers, living under a bridge in undercity.
It also shows a gentle soul, and shows the "No good deed goes unpunished" phrase. He has a true love for all things in Azeroth, even the roaches. His love for these roaches and the sorrow it brings him when they die show his gentle side, and how he's been downtrodden to his current status.
But at least he gets lots of boom-boom during the Love is in the Air event.
Oh yes.

Anyways, who, in your opinion, is the saddest character in the game?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The Oracles who are being tortured and killed by the Scourge in Sholazar Basin. The things they say when you try to rescue them are just heartbreaking.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
The quest in Khasarang Wilds (Alliance side) where the night elf father gives his life force to bring back his daughter from her mistake always brings me down a bit, but on the other hand in old western plaguelands there was a quest with a widow to kill her scourged husband, which is also up there for me.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
While it's hard to really choose an "unquestionably #1 most saddest out of everybody", I figure Bolvar's gotta be up there somewhere... oh, and that First Mate Moody guy on the airship in Deepholm.
Reply Quote
The Oracles who are being tortured and killed by the Scourge in Sholazar Basin. The things they say when you try to rescue them are just heartbreaking.

THis. or the tauren pally in krasarang wilds that loses his wife. Heartbreaking man
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Kinndy.
/thread
Edited by Takumi on 8/4/2013 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Sven Yorgen
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I always feel really bad for Lillian Voss. Also Zuni in the troll stater zone, makes me sad every time.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
rheastrasza, Rhea's Last Egg
pamala redpath
dezco
and, of course, gizmo ;_;
Reply Quote
Maiev Shadowsong, sits there watching a guy who almost killed her brother for a few milennia, then goes insane when he breaks out, chases him across two worlds, gets captured and tortured for a few more milennia, then gets back and is ticked at Mal and Tyrande and tries to kill off all the highborne and Malfurion. Then winds up running away.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
R.I.P. Smiling Jim.

The man was outside of the inn in theramore and would constantly quote a song that was played at his inn.

"He'll bring you mead, he'll bring you beer
He'll make you smiling from ear to ear
We call him Smiling Jim!" (Note, I might've forgotton some of it...)

The man lost his mind when his family was killed by a Horde raid (I think tauren raid, not sure). His livelihood was gone, everything was gone with that raid, and he didn't even do anything.

Poor Jim. :(

Also, the ent that you help raise in Felwood. The TASK that little guy has... jeepers...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The quest line for Birdenbrad in Icecrown gets me a little teary.

Rhea's last quest in Badlands did it for me too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Mankrik and his wife
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bossy the Cow. : (

oh, and that First Mate Moody guy on the airship in Deepholm.

He seems less sad because of the reference.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
08/04/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Hippeaux
oh, and that First Mate Moody guy on the airship in Deepholm.

He seems less sad because of the reference.

Actually I was just second-guessing myself, thinking he seems less sad because he was such a freakin' unmitigated bad@$$.

08/04/2013 10:07 PMPosted by Barathos
The man lost his mind when his family was killed by a Horde raid (I think tauren raid, not sure).

Tauren yes, Horde no. It was the Grimtotem, unaffiliated with the Horde-allied Tauren.

08/04/2013 10:07 PMPosted by Sigrún
The quest line for Birdenbrad in Icecrown gets me a little teary.

Crusader Bridenbrad... I'll second that one.
Reply Quote
Smiling Jim has my vote.

There was a quest to honor his wife and child's grave and they appeared as ghosts. The child wanted to know where daddy was and the wife thanked you for your gift. It was sad :(

Bridenbrad had me going too. All these years and alts later and that quest line still makes me shed a tear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Are we talking about the character being sad, or just their story being sad? Because little Pamela seems pretty chipper despite her fate. (And only complete monsters don't pass up the buff in EPL to have her instead.)

Saddest person I think has to be Topper McNabb... no matter how much he begs, we CAN'T give him any money. I'd slip him a silver now and then if we could. The guy has to eat.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Actually now that I think about it... I'll take back Bridenbrad and put Arthas in his place.

For me, it's the ending/ultimate fate that really makes or breaks a character's level of sympathy from me (which is the main reason Bolvar was the first one I mentioned).

Bridenbrad's whole questline was just heartbreaking, but at least at the end his soul had this awesome redemption. I mean A'dal specifically said he was heading to paradise!

As for Arthas... sure he was a massive douche in life, but he did try to help his people, and he was more screwed by his outright stupidity than by any specifically evil nature (at least to begin with)... but if you read Sylvanas' leader short story on this site, you find that Arthas' soul has been doomed to roam in darkness forever, and that it has the quality of a frightened child, not an adult monster. That just strikes me as incredibly sad.
Reply Quote
30 Gnome Mage
Rheastrasza...
That one gnome you restore from sludge in New Tinkertown who then explodes...
Lillian Voss...
*sniff*
*sniff*
*runs off to cry*
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Smiling Jim.
The Redpath Family
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]