How is druid tanking in 5.4?

90 Human Paladin
Can someone point me to the right direction ? where i can look if they are gonna be good again.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
where i can look if they are gonna be good again.
because we weren't good before?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
They are good now, they were good before and they will be good afterwards too, but some people will still think they suck.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Didn't mean to offend just keep hearing that they are not up there , meaning pallies and monks are way better but idk .
Edited by Arkellian on 7/31/2013 9:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
07/31/2013 09:44 PMPosted by Arkellian
meaning pallies and monks are way better

They're "better" because they either do outrageous amounts of DPS and trivilise tank death mechanics (Fatal Strike, Decapitate), or can solo tank bosses without outside help OR can take boss nukes to far higher stacks than usual (Talon Rake and Impale). However, if you are not going to cheese the fight in these ways or you have paladins, bears can easily clear the content in similar fashions.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Monks don't have no where near as many cds as us which is a huge knock against them...

Pally tanks are slowly going to get the nerf bat.....blizz knows they are op in certain ways and have stated they are going to balance them more...

But yes, Druids technically should be good tanks if they are playing correctly....and the stam buff is given to counter some of the heavier magic damage in 5.4
Edited by Morphina on 8/1/2013 5:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Pally tanks are slowly going to get the nerf bat.....blizz knows they are op in certain ways and have stated they are going to balance them more...

And that's good! =) Paladins are over the top and Blizzard knows it. Their raid healing + utility with hands + Shield is really over the top. Hopefully there won't be many, if any, BoPable debuffs next tier.

Monks don't have no where near as many cds as us which is a huge knock against them...

This is only an issue if you intend to play a monk like the other tanks. Monks don't need cool downs like the other tanks (at least if you're counting the standard Barkskin, Shield Wall and some other Last Stand/LetmeLive! type cool down) because they have soooo many amgsurvive buttons and such a steady AM. In saying this, they do have many cool downs just not of the "normal" type. Fort. Brew, Elusive Brew, Guard and Dampen Harm/Diffuse Magic (whichever you use for the fight) are all very strong. This doesn't include Expel Harm, Chi Wave (or whatever you choose on that tier), Healing Spheres, Zen Med (90% reduction on the next hit, yes please!), and Gift of the Ox.

I don't think for a second that I'm short on cool downs while playing my monk, but it's very easy to get lost when you're used to a "Barkskin! Im good for a little bit!" type playstyle =)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Didn't mean to offend just keep hearing that they are not up there , meaning pallies and monks are way better but idk .

You didn't offend anyone. Guardians have just had this reputation of being bad, which is silly once you look at the facts, something these idiots you're hearing from aren't considering.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/01/2013 06:58 AMPosted by Saeilfa

And that's good! =) Paladins are over the top and Blizzard knows it. Their raid healing + utility with hands + Shield is really over the top. Hopefully there won't be many, if any, BoPable debuffs next tier.

This is only an issue if you intend to play a monk like the other tanks. Monks don't need cool downs like the other tanks (at least if you're counting the standard Barkskin, Shield Wall and some other Last Stand/LetmeLive! type cool down) because they have soooo many amgsurvive buttons and such a steady AM. In saying this, they do have many cool downs just not of the "normal" type. Fort. Brew, Elusive Brew, Guard and Dampen Harm/Diffuse Magic (whichever you use for the fight) are all very strong. This doesn't include Expel Harm, Chi Wave (or whatever you choose on that tier), Healing Spheres, Zen Med (90% reduction on the next hit, yes please!), and Gift of the Ox.

I don't think for a second that I'm short on cool downs while playing my monk, but it's very easy to get lost when you're used to a "Barkskin! Im good for a little bit!" type playstyle =)

I only speak for my co tank who is a monk and whenever we tell him to pop a cd, like when h horridon enrages for example....he always says he doesn't have any, which is why I say that.
(Unless I gave him symb and he used it already)

Also, I was responding to the OP, not u
Edited by Morphina on 8/1/2013 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Also, I was responding to the OP, not u

Doesn't mean I can't respond to you :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks for all this , the reason i ask is because i lately have been fighting with gear with 2 other pallies in our raid , leather gets DE and i loved tanking on my druid. with this input im gonna start to grind those 5 levels i need.

Saeilfa Thanks.

And the rest of the druid tanking and non tanking community thanks too. Like i state in a previous post didn't mean to offend just heard of the bad rep. and from a pally I admit WE ARE OP and i honestly don't like it. Some might say wtf but i miss when we had to micro manage now is to easy imo. Anyways thanks all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Guardians aren't as good as other tanks because their active mitigation sucks for most fights and have no way to mitigate most special abilities (Council being an exception).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
have no way to mitigate most special abilities (Council being an exception).

Tortos also. Snapping Bite is dodgeable but isn't negated by armor, so we have to ensure SD is up and we have enough FR at all times in case it hits (or be well, well above the stamina threshold for the fight).

Interestingly it's the only tank nuke that is not mitigated by armor, so even though SD is poor for those, we can still take more hits than other tanks if they don't have their AM up (it can happen! xD).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Druid tanks are some of the best, we have the shortest cooldowns which makes us some of the tankiest out there. The only problem is most people are scared to pop CD's. Outside of our vd's we're kind of meh. It's sort of like playing a warrior just waiting for revenge to pop.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
08/04/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Hornography
we have the shortest cooldowns which makes us some of the tankiest out there.

The shortest cool downs? o.O
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I just realized that we are losing NS.....wtf....that is a huge hit for myself as a druid tank in a 10 man where I am the only Brez based on my comp....this is so terrible
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I just realized that we are losing NS.....wtf....that is a huge hit for myself as a druid tank in a 10 man where I am the only Brez based on my comp....this is so terrible

Dream of Cenarius is being changed in 5.4 to allow casting Rebirth in bear form, among other things.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We are getting a few buffs, honestly I don't see why. But from what i understand its to bring us on par with heroic modes. I don't do heroic modes and have yet to have an issue with tanking. Now if only they hurry up and put in virtual realms so I can raid I'd be happy. Almost four weeks poor attendance has stopped us from progressing.
Reply Quote
Since I am leveling this druid I can only say: Druids are awesome! /boomkind /dance
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It is impossible for anyone to say how good or bad any tank class will be compared to others in 5.4 because it isn't out yet! We do know that all tank classes are currently viable and blizzard is working to make them even more balanced in 5.4. I have cleared ToT normal on my protection paladin, protection warrior and guardian druid and the druid is currently my favorite to play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]