All Monk Healers Please Read: Important

90 Night Elf Monk
Every single one of you deserves a medal. As of posting this toon is 85 yesterday when I started I was 76 at this point I was asked to heal for our pally tank and our rogue while leveling. For the first 10 dungeons I was OOM every fight. My tank eventually asked me Alex are you even there? I felt so bad for him and our little rogue.

After that everything went uphill I started to learn mechanics and started doing halfway better by the end of the first night the tank was asking what healing add on I was using... You could hear me face desk through the mic as I stated None I just figured it out

Now after leveling more all I have to say is if you are a monk healer of any skill level you deserve a trophy or something. As of this moment I don't go OOM except when u have to mass healing spam but it's still sketchy watching my mana meter drop to 50% and the stay there the rest of the time.

So to conclude 3 things need to be said:
A Trophies for all of you gods
B How to fist weave? Everytime I even hit jab my bar falls on it's face from mana exhaustion. And C...

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS MASTERS OF THR MIST!
Edited by Alexstraza on 8/2/2013 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
• Might sound weird, but practice on a training dummy. As a fistweaver, you heal by melee DPSing. That means you have to think and play like one too. Attack from behind when you can, avoid cleaves etc.

• Never hit Jab twice in a row. It should alternate between Jab and either Blackout Kick or Tiger Palm.

• Keep Renewing Mist on cooldown, and Expel Harm only if you KNOW you'll be okay healthwise for the next 15 secs.

• Get the glyph of Mana Tea. It means better mana restoration since you can use it in combat ie. you can make it part of your rotation.

• Keep your Jade Statue down, but it needs to done with intelligence, since it has a 30 second cooldown.

All I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: If you are fighting 3 or more enemies, substitute Spinning Crane Kick for Jab. Saves mana.
Edited by Joeblow on 8/2/2013 1:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Ba-dumpa-bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Ok so fistweaving is fun but at 90 you just can't do it anymore. So if you are serious about healing at level cap here are some basics to get you started.

Your jade serpent statue needs to always be down near where the group is, if its not, move it.

Use renewing mists on cooldown, it is going to be your default chi generator and it does a crap load of healing especially on long fights.

Use expel harm on cooldown, even if you dont need a heal. *in 5.4 use the glyph and you will be able to heal others with it.*

If those two are off cooldown and you need a nice steady heal, use soothing mists to build chi and get an easy, mana effecient heal.

If 3 or more people around you need a heal, Spinning Crane kick.

If the group is spread out, and you have renewing mists on all of them (As you should especially in 5 mans) use uplift *Costs 2 Chi*

If the tank is taking heavy damage, use Enveloping mists *Costs 3 Chi*

Just a simple guideline that i can think of right now, but mistweaver is a really fun spec so have fun with it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
"Important"
Reply Quote
96 Tauren Monk
oh.

thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
"Important"

Ehh sorry Posted late last night right before I went to bed. Ill change it now. Also Other's thank you for the tips I have most of this down now., but still anything else you guys wanna teach me would be majorly appreciated.

Bonus: In the first gear you can buy in pearlfin village if you SCK*2 and then blackout kick I have been pulling groups of 20 mobs and not been dropping below 75% health. XD. Seriously though having a blast.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Anything else to suggest for me? Also fistweaving seems to be working really well on all tanks... except for druids. I don't know why but whenever I get a druid tank I have to actually heal, or he wipes. I myself have never played a druid tank so I don't know why this is but meh. I guess healing for one class is better than healing for all of them
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Renewing mist on cool down and mana tea on cool down and use uplift. Druids will hate you for it. keep statue down like everyone says and soothing mist in between everything else.

Cant believe no one else said UPLIFT!
Reply Quote
Anything else to suggest for me? Also fistweaving seems to be working really well on all tanks... except for druids. I don't know why but whenever I get a druid tank I have to actually heal, or he wipes. I myself have never played a druid tank so I don't know why this is but meh. I guess healing for one class is better than healing for all of them

Their active mitigation consists of a +45% bonus to dodge. In other words, their mitigation is all or nothing. If you find them hard to heal it's probably bad luck, assuming they're actually using it. Their other method consists of healing back any damage they take, but if you're having to heal them constantly it sounds like they're not using their self-healing (could be out of courtesy though, letting you do your job. I do this if it looks like the healer knows what he is doing).
Edited by Joeblow on 8/5/2013 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok so fistweaving is fun but at 90 you just can't do it anymore. So if you are serious about healing at level cap here are some basics to get you started.

There's a beautifully-written guide about Fistweaving post-90. You just need the Legendary Meta Gem to help soak up the mana draining, then you can drop a lot of Spirit for Crit and be just fine and dandy.

Also, once you Glyph for Mana Tea the entire game gets so much easier. Use it every time you dip below 90% mana. Don't waste mana on a second Jab so you can take advantage of your Muscle Memory proc. Always keep Renewing Mists to help with the Chi and group healing, and Uplift when you're in a tight squeeze. Don't be afraid to go back to Mistweaving in the middle of combat, either. Soothing mists is a nice channeled heal that helps get some easy Chi and tank heals.
Edited by Unicornkitty on 8/4/2013 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Also, once you Glyph for Mana Tea the entire game gets so much easier.

I put the glyph in the first week after 90 and then took it out and haven't looked back since.

After playing a holy paladin for two expansions, it's easy enough to find down time to use up 8-10 stacks of tea at a time in every single encounter. It also let's you not have to waste a GCD in the middle of heavy damage to gain back your mana so you don't fall behind the cooldown.

The other issues I have with this glyph is the general nature of Monk burst healing. Monks, by far, can burn through mana faster than any other class. Channeling soothing mist and hitting a couple of Surging Mists throws out huge amounts of mana. Getting to the end of a heavy damage phase can drop out huge amounts of mana which can easily be recovered in low damage or down times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I put the glyph in the first week after 90 and then took it out and haven't looked back since.

After playing a holy paladin for two expansions, it's easy enough to find down time to use up 8-10 stacks of tea at a time in every single encounter. It also let's you not have to waste a GCD in the middle of heavy damage to gain back your mana so you don't fall behind the cooldown.

The other issues I have with this glyph is the general nature of Monk burst healing. Monks, by far, can burn through mana faster than any other class. Channeling soothing mist and hitting a couple of Surging Mists throws out huge amounts of mana. Getting to the end of a heavy damage phase can drop out huge amounts of mana which can easily be recovered in low damage or down times.

lol I didn't even need to read your post past I don't use mana tea glyph to know whatever you were going to say was wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
5.4, removing the glyph may be an option, since tea channel time will be halved. But in its current state, that glyph is very important, basically mandatory for serious monk healers.

Everyone has already basically said what is important to know to this point.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Monks oom? Sounds weird.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
My MW monk is 90 and I have shelved her :( Seriously I just can't get a handle on things.

I have read everything I can, I actually know what to do but it still feels so clunky and some groups just make me want to die inside.

I could never get the hang of fistweaving so never done it.

Good luck with your MW :)
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I put the glyph in the first week after 90 and then took it out and haven't looked back since.After playing a holy paladin for two expansions, it's easy enough to find down time to use up 8-10 stacks of tea at a time in every single encounter. It also let's you not have to waste a GCD in the middle of heavy damage to gain back your mana so you don't fall behind the cooldown.The other issues I have with this glyph is the general nature of Monk burst healing. Monks, by far, can burn through mana faster than any other class. Channeling soothing mist and hitting a couple of Surging Mists throws out huge amounts of mana. Getting to the end of a heavy damage phase can drop out huge amounts of mana which can easily be recovered in low damage or down times

I don't know what other way to say this, you are doing it wrong.

And its not just the sea cow, sounds like the way you are healing is wrong too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
@Suplift and Somurd

I'm sorry, could you please elaborate on it because I'd really like to know.

I honest to god do not see the advantages of the glyph at all.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I think the pros and cons are pretty obvious. You are said its hard for you to find the time to waste a GCD, but you have no problem finding 10 seconds to channel? It doesn't make sense to me, but whatever works.

The other part of my comment is about you using multiple surging mists on the same target without a clearcasting proc. I don't think its a good practice, so it makes me skeptical about some of the other things you might be doing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@Suplift and Somurd

I'm sorry, could you please elaborate on it because I'd really like to know.

I honest to god do not see the advantages of the glyph at all.

I just treat it as an Arcane Torrent I can hit every couple of chi-casts. It makes the rotation a lot smoother since you don't have to stand and channel. It might just be how you play, and if you can live with it unglyphed then more power to you. I just feel like it compliments the way I play my Monk a lot more so I choose it.

In addition, I think it's the fact you have twice the Spirit as Suplift and Somurd have. Yeah, that sounds a lot more like it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]