What's best to macro with Wings on same GCD?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Avenging Wrath is off the GCD, and so that naturally begs the question, what is the best skill to macro after it?

Edit: To clarify, I do have HoW, TV, DS, ES, and everything else separately on the hotbar. The macros below are additional options. So I can pop TV by itself without popping Wings if I choose to.

(BTW, I picked the Sanctified Wrath talent, which is why I have GoAK macroed with AW in the examples below. If I picked another talent I would not macro GoAK with AW and would instead hit AW 10 seconds after GoAK.)

OPTION A)
/cast Guardian of Ancient Kings
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Hammer of Wrath

....but unfortunately that macro doesn't work; AW will activate, but HoW won't fire. I'm guessing this is because in that GCD, HoW is still greyed out (assuming mob is above 20%).
So you have to press the above macro twice really quickly, and the second press will fire off the HoW. The HoW won't fire in exactly the same GCD though, but will be a fraction of a GCD behind. I really want to be able to pick this option, but the fact that you can't do it all in one GCD (and one macro press) makes it kinda ghetto.

OPTION B)
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Templar's Verdict (or Divine Storm)

All skills will fire off in the same GCD. However, you have to wait one whole GCD before you can cast HoW. Since activating Wings is all about starting up that HoW rotation ASAP, I don't know if delaying HoW by one whole GCD is ideal. Note: Even though Option A's HoW doesn't fire in the same GCD as AW, it still comes slightly quicker than Option B's HoW.

OPTION C)
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Execution Sentence

People who pick Sanctified Wrath (like myself) can't really do Option C. This is because it's better to delay firing off ES until GoAK has powered up.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are.
Thanks!
Edited by Skiiyicicle on 8/3/2013 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I don't have any on-global ability tied to my burst macro. If I did, it'd probably Hand of Salvation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got inquisition macroed together when I need to burst and when its nearly off cd.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got inquisition macroed together when I need to burst and when its nearly off cd.

That's an interesting option, but I feel it makes the macro a bit unwieldy. It seems you'd often run into scenarios where you'd clip an existing Inquisition.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly, you shouldn't macro it to anything besides an on-use trinket.

If you use SW -exclusively- then you could macro it to guardian, but then you'd have to remember to hit the macro every 2min instead of 5 (your bar timers may appear inaccurate).

Macroing wings to Templar's Verdict is really bad because you're gonna use TV every chance you get, whereas sometimes you should delay wings for a better burst opportunity. For example: you're on Lei Shen and your quadrant gets an add. You're going to attack the add, but your wings just came off cooldown. With your macro, you pop wings on the add instead of saving it another 20-30sec for the boss.

Sorry for the confusion. My examples were just for the burst macro. I have TV, DS, ES, and all the other stuff available individually in addition to that. So no, I wouldn't be pressing my burst macro everytime I wanted to TV....I'd just press the TV button itself.

Also, on-use trinket and synapse springs are off GCD too, so yes I'd add a /use 14 and /use 10 to the above macros, but that still leaves me room to add a final skill after them.

As for "you shouldn't macro it to anything besides an on-use trinket.", my question is why not? The GCD has room to fill in with a whole other skill....it seems inefficient to leave it empty. Burst macros for other classes which have specials that don't incur a GCD all pair the special with one other skill to save themself a GCD.
Examples:
Fury Warriors: Bloodbath + Dragon Roar. [followed by standard Colossus Smash burst rotation]
Elemental Shamans: Ascendance + Lava Burst [immediately starts your LB spam]
BM Hunters: Readiness + Kill Command [crucial for squeezing in 3 KCs into a single Bestial Wrath in their opener]
Balance Druid: Celestial Alignment + Moonfire [immediately double-dots the mob]
Fire Mage: Alter Time + Presence of Mind + Pyroblast [immediately fires off an instant PB]

All of the above examples are standardly-accepted staples for their respective classes. I'm just trying to figure out what a Ret Pally's best option is.
Edited by Skiiyicicle on 8/3/2013 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't have any on-global ability tied to my burst macro. If I did, it'd probably Hand of Salvation.

That's an interesting choice that I hadn't considered. I don't think I've ever pulled hate off the tank though by popping wings. They're usually pretty good at keeping hate nowadays with Vengeance and all of that.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Most tanks these days are also probably better geared than you are.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Most tanks these days are also probably better geared than you are.

Thank you for that insightful comment. As a matter of fact though, you'd be surprised how many undergeared tanks you encounter in LFR, which is where my pally's gear level is at atm. Even so, they usually hold hate just fine with Vengeance even against a H-TF geared dps player bursting 400k+ during lust. Blizz has made it easy for tanks to hold hate these days. Survivability and knowledge of boss mechanics are another issue. :D
Edited by Skiiyicicle on 8/3/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I actually lead my burst off in raids by refreshing inq, then salv, then hitting CDs.

On boss pulls, I salv myself right before the pull.

Forget LFR tanks, I pull from my guild's tanks, and they're actually good.

LFR on my warrior I'll pull off tanks without using CDs. I've held bosses on my warrior after hitting CDs, going well... the tank will taunt.. rallying, then a full glyphed die by the sword.

I'd kill to have wind shear.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
08/03/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Cayse
Forget LFR tanks, I pull from my guild's tanks, and they're actually good.

Exactly this. LFR has little to no bearing on real raiding. It's the training-wheel mode; things are a lot easier in LFR compared to reg, including, in most cases, holding threat because the players around you are typically LFR-geared, too. Anyone doing 400k+ during Hero in LFR probably has a self-preservation threat dump they're using.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Fair enough. Every class has a burst rotation that could pull hate from the tank. Classes that have a front-loaded burst rotation (e.g. warrior's bloodbath + recklessness + colossus smash) should be at much higher risk of pulling aggro from the tank during the pull. Meanwhile, a ret pally's burst is back-loaded; with the way GoAK & ES function, ret's burst isn't at full power until 30 seconds in. Because of that, it seems like ret should be much less risky at pulling aggro since it gives the tank a good chunk of time to build hate as well.

Anyway, all of that is beside the point of the main question I asked in my OP.
Edited by Skiiyicicle on 8/3/2013 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
AW-HA and your first global can be a 250k+ HoW, inq, CS, and five seconds from the pull you can be putting out a 450k+ TV. 30-35 seconds later ES might get a big final crit, but even with SW our front end burst is very high, the first thing we do after hitting CDs is to HoW... and HoW is very big.

For your question, because the first thing you should hit after AW while dpsing is HoW. You can't macro it because of latency, it's not actually available yet. So you don't put anything in your CD macro, or you put it in and hit it twice, but you might as well just not put it in.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
/target noob
/cast avenging wrath
/point
/doom

Why would you point at yourself everytime you hit CDs?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/target noob
/cast avenging wrath
/point
/doom

http://i.qkme.me/3sdo2s.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I keep salvation macroed together with my cds. Even then I still have threat issues (mostly in lfr).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Depends on the skill of the tank(s) as well. I've had to hit Hand of Salvation and throttle on more then one occasion because they were having issues holding aggro.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just Holy Avenger and a Potion. Also Lifeblood if you are a Herbalist.

#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/use Potion of Mogu Power
/cast Holy Avenger
/cast Avenging Wrath
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just Holy Avenger and a Potion. Also Lifeblood if you are a Herbalist.

#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/use Potion of Mogu Power
/cast Holy Avenger
/cast Avenging Wrath
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Both Holy Avenger and Lifeblood are off the GCD. You'd still have the option of tacking on another on-GCD skill at the end of all of that.
Edited by Skiiyicicle on 8/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]