If a new healing class were introduced...

08/10/2013 10:10 PMPosted by Tersia

Clearly Gnome need more healing classes.

Next expansion, Gnome Paladins, Druids and Shamans introduced.

Hehe yea, gnomes didn't have healer at all before cata allowed them to be priests huh? I forget that alot. I dunno about druids though :/ I still thought pandaren should have been druids because they seemed so much more in tune with nature and BALANCE. Stupid Cenarion Circle. Besides it would keep ally and horde on even footing with the number of races that could be druids since pandaren can be both. But we got shamans instead, no complaints I guess since I am one :p

Yeah Gnomes didn't get Priests until Cata.

And yeah, you'd think a Panda would be considered nature-y enough.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I *love* my druid. Though my top 3 healers are Druid, Disc Priest & Shaman.

I'd like something that combine the 3. Perhaps some kind of fairy/good witch/nature type healer. Could put HoTs on people(in the form of fairy dust or something that sparkles), drop totem like things(perhaps flowers or something), and has 1-2 absorb spells. Do not add any kind of dps=heal mechanic(I hate those).

I would love this :x Purple and blue and green sparklies for a healer please! :x I think instead of flowers/totems it could be like giant potion bottles or something, a touch of alchemy/witch's brew sort of dealie. Running with good witch idea some more, could have a familiar/pet for healing too!

edit- I just realized I sort of came home from my friend's house and started blowing up this thread :x I was gonna go to bed!
Edited by Tersia on 8/10/2013 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I *love* my druid. Though my top 3 healers are Druid, Disc Priest & Shaman.

I'd like something that combine the 3. Perhaps some kind of fairy/good witch/nature type healer. Could put HoTs on people(in the form of fairy dust or something that sparkles), drop totem like things(perhaps flowers or something), and has 1-2 absorb spells. Do not add any kind of dps=heal mechanic(I hate those).

I would love this :x Purple and blue and green sparklies for a healer please! :x I think instead of flowers/totems it could be like giant potion bottles or something, a touch of alchemy/witch's brew sort of dealie. Running with good witch idea some more, could have a familiar/pet for healing too!

Works for me. They could have two healing specs, one which focuses more on shields and the other which focuses on HoTs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Hehe yea, gnomes didn't have healer at all before cata allowed them to be priests huh? I forget that alot. I dunno about druids though :/ I still thought pandaren should have been druids because they seemed so much more in tune with nature and BALANCE. Stupid Cenarion Circle. Besides it would keep ally and horde on even footing with the number of races that could be druids since pandaren can be both. But we got shamans instead, no complaints I guess since I am one :p

I would *NEVER* go Horde unless Blood Elves can be Druids. Only Horde class I am not disgusted by :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Works for me. They could have two healing specs, one which focuses more on shields and the other which focuses on HoTs.

I think priests would be mad if someone stole their two healing spec shtick.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/10/2013 10:15 PMPosted by Tersia

But priests have one that is good and one that sucks...Face it, unless you're in 25's you should NOT play Holy lol!
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 10:15 PMPosted by Tersia

At least they have choice. The more the merrier in my opinion!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
But priests have one that is good and one that sucks...Face it, unless you're in 25's you should NOT play Holy lol!

I guess I am less qualified to comment since my Holy experience was limited to LFR which pretends to be 25, though I have seen some other priests post about holy beating disc after a certain point where absorbs cap out or something...I dunno I was barely following the conversation and don't remember the raid size mentioned and it is late and I am a bit tipsy.

Come to think of it, would be difficult to have another healer not "move in" on an existing territory. Lesse....

Disc- mainly absorbs with direct casted heals
Holy- mainly direct casted heals with some hots
Pally-Direct casted and instant heals with some absorbs
Druid-Mainly hots with a tiny bit of direct, mostly instant heals
Shaman-combination hots and direct casted heals
Monk- combination hots and direct instant heals

Unless you have a mainly channeling healer (which is still sort of monk-ish) or start introducing something wonky like absorbs that tick like hots (kind of like the shaman totem actually, the talented one) you can easily argue that they're doing something too close to an existing healer, which you can probably even say now!
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Tersia

I guess I am less qualified to comment since my Holy experience was limited to LFR which pretends to be 25, though I have seen some other priests post about holy beating disc after a certain point where absorbs cap out or something...I dunno I was barely following the conversation and don't remember the raid size mentioned and it is late and I am a bit tipsy.

Come to think of it, would be difficult to have another healer not "move in" on an existing territory. Lesse....

Disc- mainly absorbs with direct casted heals
Holy- mainly direct casted heals with some hots
Pally-Direct casted and instant heals with some absorbs
Druid-Mainly hots with a tiny bit of direct, mostly instant heals
Shaman-combination hots and direct casted heals
Monk- combination hots and direct instant heals

Unless you have a mainly channeling healer (which is still sort of monk-ish) or start introducing something wonky like absorbs that tick like hots (kind of like the shaman totem actually, the talented one) you can easily argue that they're doing something too close to an existing healer, which you can probably even say now!

I could see a Witch Doctor type class being added, and their healing spec would be like a Disc smite spec. Except it wouldn't be an alternative to typical healing, it'd be HOW they heal. Like they throw down dots on a enemy and each time it deals damage, it heals an injured raid member within 40 yards for like 20% of the damage done.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I could see a Witch Doctor type class being added, and their healing spec would be like a Disc smite spec. Except it wouldn't be an alternative to typical healing, it'd be HOW they heal. Like they throw down dots on a enemy and each time it deals damage, it heals an injured raid member within 40 yards for like 20% of the damage done.

Like the green dragon mentioned on page one. Like a lock healer. Me likey.

So a witch sort of class could be:
spec 1- witch doctor/voodoo priest heals via dot damage similar to atonement/eminence
spec 2- hedge witch- uses nature magic/fairies and potions with hots and absorbs.
spec 3- some clever name I can't think of yet- magic dps spec with poisons/dots/curses but not too much like the warlock or they get mad

Someone find me an argument to not have cloth for this, we have enough people fighting over cloth already.

I still want a bard too :/
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Tersia

Like the green dragon mentioned on page one. Like a lock healer. Me likey.

So a witch sort of class could be:
spec 1- witch doctor/voodoo priest heals via dot damage similar to atonement/eminence
spec 2- hedge witch- uses nature magic/fairies and potions with hots and absorbs.
spec 3- some clever name I can't think of yet- magic dps spec with poisons/dots/curses but not too much like the warlock or they get mad

Someone find me an argument to not have cloth for this, we have enough people fighting over cloth already.

I still want a bard too :/

I played a Bard in...Forsaken World I believe and while it was short played, it was a fun class to play.

And Witch Doctors would use mail...or in my mind they would.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I played a Bard in...Forsaken World I believe and while it was short played, it was a fun class to play.

Me too!!!! Loved it, and the fancy shmancy armor made my inner prissy girl happy. I loved how the songs worked and how the healing spec had like, no single target healing. Maybe one day I will pick it up again, but I am way too nerded out being excited about FF ARR right now. Cannot wait till next weekend!

edited for spelling fail
Edited by Tersia on 8/10/2013 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Tersia

Me too!!!! Loved it, and the fancy shmancy armor made my inner prissy girl happy. I loved how the songs worked and how the healing spec had like, no single target healing. Maybe one day I will pick it up again, but I am way too nerded out being excited about FF ARR right now. Cannot wait till next weekend!

edited for spelling fail

Everybody keeps talking about FF ARR. What is it? I get Final Fantasy but ARR?

And I know it's terrible, but the difference in graphics between WoW and FW drew me back to WoW. And the interface wasn't enjoyable for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Everybody keeps talking about FF ARR. What is it? I get Final Fantasy but ARR?

Full title is Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

FF XIV came out a few years ago and flopped, really really bad, you see. Squeenix did not like this! Gameplay was poor, it was a bit buggy, I remember my primary beef I had was that the main storyline quest feel out from under my feet around level 8 and I had no idea what to do. Even as someone who is not a noob to mmos, the tutorial was so crap. It really didn't even have an mmo feel to it at all.

So what happened? XIV dragged on some, and eventually they decided to scrap it and start over. They ended the old game with a cool in game ending thing. Ditched the entire dev team and hired all new guys, much better guys. Now they come out with ARR! Revamped and redesigned everything including the world, the ending event from the original XIV has been worked into the lore.

Open beta (phase 4) starts next weekend, game released on Aug 27. People who had accounts for the original XIV get up to Sept 9th free subscription, do not have to purchase the game unless they want it for PS3, and had free beta keys. People with the original collectors edition get the in-game items only for the new collectors edition too.

Also, it is very pretty.
Edited by Tersia on 8/10/2013 10:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I wouldn't mind a healer based on the aeon system in FF in which your heals are regulated by which *pets* you summon/maintain use on cd and then building a system of healing based on how they interact with each other. It could easily get complex though so I guess it would turn away some new players.

That and blizzard would significantly have to upgrade pet ai. No pet I told u to attack the boss not hump the invisible wall 2 feet away from the boss bad water dragon bad!

That or as many others said a blood like healer/witch doctor that uses undead or dark magic to heal and makes sacrifices to gain power. Either of these would have to wear plate int tho so we don't have to keep deing that crap in raid.

If they can rewrite garrosh from a promising young responsible warchief to an evil warlord for no apparent reason I'm sure they can make either of those int plate users.
Edited by Rapsidy on 8/10/2013 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Ok my last off topic bit.... Here is a link to a youtube vid series from phase 3 of the beta test. Some of the info is a bit wrong in the second video, but she corrects herself later on. Plus her accent is so cute to listen to, no !@#$%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lJoFqfEqY&list=PLlSBsxKnPs6SgF5EdTYNDxS0U2xqFKfa7

Either of these would have to wear plate int tho so we don't have to keep deing that crap in raid.

Goodness I would love for more than one spec to use int plate. Only two for int mail as well. I always thought Unholy DK should use int plate personally....
Reply Quote
Ok my last off topic bit.... Here is a link to a youtube vid series from phase 3 of the beta test. Some of the info is a bit wrong in the second video, but she corrects herself later on. Plus her accent is so cute to listen to, no !@#$%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lJoFqfEqY&list=PLlSBsxKnPs6SgF5EdTYNDxS0U2xqFKfa7

Either of these would have to wear plate int tho so we don't have to keep deing that crap in raid.

Goodness I would love for more than one spec to use int plate. Only two for int mail as well. I always thought Unholy DK should use int plate personally....

I'll have to watch it when I get home from work lol.

But yeah, I feel like they tried making a magic using melee, but they fell short with Unholy DKs.

But with everybody wanting a blood using healing, I'm suprised we didn't just say we wanted a Blood DK to be able to que as a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
But yeah, I feel like they tried making a magic using melee, but they fell short with Unholy DKs.

But with everybody wanting a blood using healing, I'm suprised we didn't just say we wanted a Blood DK to be able to que as a healer.

Come on, we joke about blood dk being best healer to troll people making "what is best healer hurr durr" threads all the time. SO why not?!

Honestly, I always wanted an arcane sword guy. Like, if a pally is a warrior/priest, and a dk could maybe be likened to a warrior/lock, why not a warrior/mage?! Anyone who liked the Duskblade class in DnD would know what I mean (it's in PHB2 in 3.5, if you wanna know). They got wizard/sorcerer spells in a limited level like bards, but had a full BAB and heavier armor and got an ability to channel touch spells in their melee weapons, like the smiting spell metamagic feat. I guess some prestige classes could accomplish similar feats of skill but this was a base class (arcane archer another good example of mixing martial and magical prowess)

Sort of reminded me of the rune knight stuff from FF6 that Celes did and those special character knights in FF Tactics.
Edited by Tersia on 8/10/2013 11:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
That does sound really cool! But how would it work in a sort of triage environment? Like in a 5 man when s**t hits the fan, or in a raid with constant damage? How would haste effect? I wonder if you could even get to a point with the right stats where spamming the fast heals is often enough and strong enough to make the larger charged ones unnecessary. Would you be able to charge for a large period of time before some raidwide aoe and use that as a sort of huge healbomb cd? Can you charge while moving?

One idea I had was implementing a secondary resource (like how Holy Paladins have Holy Power or Mistweaver Monks have Chi) that increases when you "charge" your spell, and you gain one full charge after you charged for a certain amount of time. Think of how Destruction Warlocks and their Ember resource works.

For example, let's say this resource stacked to 100, and every 20 of this resource was divided into a full charge, or 20/20/20/20/20. Every 0.10 seconds you spend "charging up" a spell would grant 1 of this resource, so charging up a spell for 3 seconds would grant you 30 of this resource. You could then spend full charges of this resource (such as 2 full charges, or 40 total resource) on a more powerful healing spell, such as a large tank healing ability (Word of Glory, Enveloping Mist) or a more powerful raid healing tool. (Light of Dawn, Uplift) This way, you could spend lull moments in healing charging up your resource with these charge-based spells and unleashing them when those "oh shi-" moments arise.

There could also be more expensive baseline spells that grant more of this resource (such as 2 every 0.10 seconds of casting [for 20 resources every second of charging the spell] but the mana cost of the spell increases in relation instead of decreasing). This would act as the "emergency heal" ability in the toolkit.

Haste effects won't affect the charge-up time in any way, but would reduce the time in-between resource gains when charging up a spell. For example, at 0% haste, you would gain 1 resource every 0.10 seconds of casting, but at 25% haste, you would gain 1 resource every 0.075% seconds spent charging, or 50% haste would yield 1 resource every 0.05 seconds spent charging. The rate at which healing would increase and the mana cost would increase/decrease would also vary depending on haste.

Charging-while-moving could be a specific ability that trades healing ramp-up/mana efficiency for the ability to cast while moving.

I really really love getting all brainstormy about things like this! I used to try making custom DnD classes as well but getting a DM that actually will let you play one..... :/ well let's just say I had alot of papers collecting dust.

I really hope devs read things like this. After all Blizz wants to make money and the number one rule is give the customer what they want, right? Take our ideas and RUN with them so to speak. Sort of sad how WoW is starting to die though. I guess most mmos have their time....

It's good to be open-minded about new ideas and class designs, which is why I like spending a lot of time myself brainstorming these sort of things.
Edited by Areos on 8/11/2013 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]