The Burdens of Shaohao—Part 5: The Sundering

Community Manager
The newest short is available now!
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Sha of Despair was sealed away in the swamp itself(sounds like someone moved the manuscript called: The Emperor's Burden - Part 4 out of where it was written and into the Temple of the Red Crane)!?!

Interesting how when it invaded the Temple of the Red Crane there was no water to sink in(which was probably what the Sha was going for since it knew that forcing it's opponents to sink into the swamp would result in someone finding hope by looking at a random tree and imprison it again) instead it turned itself into a relentless torrent to overwhelm it's opponents with shear strength.

This is the Sha that learned it's lesson from when it fought the Emperor in Krasarang Wilds and changed tactics while the Sha of Doubt used the same tactic when it fought the players: by using doppelgangers to fight(of course since the players did not learn the lesson of Doubt they just brute forced their way past that attack and killed the Sha without learning anything).
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Blizz keep doing what you're doing. The game has never been more balanced, and fun to play for me. MoP has brought a lot with it and the expansions before have all had their niche in improving the game.

One of my favorite features is the new story telling components in MoP. These videos most of all!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Our journey with Emperor Shaohao takes us deeper into Pandaria and the land of the mantid in this latest short.
Reply Quote
Ha I saw that there was a blue post in the Story forum and I dropped my cereal!

But, is anyone else concerned by these shorts not being like the lore in game?
I love the animation, but which source are we to believe?
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
I was right!!! The Sha of Fear's orange parts are made of Kyparite!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Was that Sargeras we saw near the end in the sky?
Reply Quote
Was that Sargeras we saw near the end in the sky?

Possibly? At first I thought it was the corrupted Illidan with the horns and everything.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm pretty sure it was just a generic demon to represent the Legion. It could have been Sargeras I guess, I mean I can see similarities with his artwork

http://wowpedia.org/File:Sargeras_and_the_Legion.jpg
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
How much you guys wanna bet that at the end of these videos, Blizzard gives a hint to the next expansion.

Our avatar's are practically in the same position as Shao Hao. We're fighting the Sha with the looming threat of the Legion over our heads. It's a cyclical theme.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
So, how is it the first and last Pandaren emperor(since there was only one according to lore in the game), feels so entitled that he felt he was going to have a peaceful smooth reign. After all, they had just beat the Mogu and their legions. Why would he be acting like a spoiled child instead of a leader of men?
Reply Quote
So, how is it the first and last Pandaren emperor(since there was only one according to lore in the game), feels so entitled that he felt he was going to have a peaceful smooth reign. After all, they had just beat the Mogu and their legions. Why would he be acting like a spoiled child instead of a leader of men?

I don't think he's acting spoiled at all. If anything, he's acting human.

He wants peace and expects it, and when he sees that it won't come, he's overcome with emotion as to how to deal with it. And he does with it. In an epic way.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
As a lore junkie, I've been really enjoying these and wish they could get added in game somewhere.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
08/08/2013 05:58 AMPosted by Stantler

He wants peace and expects it, and when he sees that it won't come, he's overcome with emotion as to how to deal with it. And he does with it. In an epic way.

No, he's acting like a princeling that had grown up in a royal palace and been told that he was going to be the leader of an empire and have everything handed to him on a silver platter. He should be a hardened warrior of many battles against the Mogu instead.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I really love Blizzard animated the Lore with this beautiful art. However the lore is kind of confusing. If we look back at The Emperor's Burden - Part 3, it was:

"Shaohao meditated for three days and three nights, for the counsel of the Jade Serpent was unclear. How could one purge oneself of all doubt?"

"Weary of waiting, Shaohao's travelling companion the Monkey King whittled a strange grimacing visage out of bamboo. He urged the Emperor to place the mask of doubt on his face..."

While mischief was the Monkey King's motivation, the mask worked - As Shaohao pulled the mask away, his doubts took on a physical form. For seven hours they fought, until the Sha of Doubt was buried.

From that day onward, the last emperor had no doubt that he would save Pandaria from the Sundering. He became a creature of faith.

And from the Part 1 of the clip, the way on how Shaohao defeated his own doubt is quite different. However I love the way described in the video as Shaohao indeed defeat the Sha with the knowledge he gained from the nature instead of just pulling out the Sha and fight it for 7 days and kill it.

However fighting for 7 days sounds more challenging though :D

I was wondering about this too. Lore-wire it's obviously old history so things are not entirely clear or known (see the beginning of Rome's history - basically pure legend and myth because all records were destroyed in the sacking of Rome) but...

Things like this smell like retcon which is annoying since it's not like Blizz is having to adjust for things they said a decade ago. This is all new enough I would think they can be internally consistent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
08/08/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Sherri

No, he's acting like a princeling that had grown up in a royal palace and been told that he was going to be the leader of an empire and have everything handed to him on a silver platter. He should be a hardened warrior of many battles against the Mogu instead.

Except that is NOT who he is. That's the thing about Shaohao, we're supposed to learn lessons from him and he learned something in the end(Pride). that is the thing, we can try and want Shaohao to be this great flawless man but in the end before he cleansed himself, he wasn't flawless. He was as flawed as any other person that walks among us.

No emperor or king starts out perfect, not even Shaohao. It wouldn't make sense for Shaohao to be this perfect being before he got rid of his Doubt,Fears,Anger and so on and so forth.
Reply Quote
08/08/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Sherri

I don't see how he's acting that way at all. He isn't whining, he's actually doing something about his problems and facing them head-on. His expectations weren't unwarranted, as [I]anyone[/I] would want peace and happiness after overthrowing the mogu empire.

Also, he comes off as more philosophical than the average warrior, which is something I like in Shaohao. His wisdom is his strength, not his muscles.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Emperor Shaohao’s ongoing journey of self-discovery has led him farther than he could have expected, but as we discover in this latest short, it isn’t at an end just yet.

After having cast away doubt, despair, and fear, Emperor Shaohao sought an army. The White Tiger saw Anger in the emperor and issued a challenge. Would the emperor temper his rage? Watch “The Burdens of Shaohao—Part 4: Anger” to find out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Emperor Shaohao’s ongoing journey of self-discovery has led him farther than he could have expected, but as we discover in this latest short, it isn’t at an end just yet.

After having cast away doubt, despair, and fear, Emperor Shaohao sought an army. The White Tiger saw Anger in the emperor and issued a challenge. Would the emperor temper his rage? Watch “[url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10534912/"]The Burdens of Shaohao—Part 4: Anger[/url]” to find out.

Anger was fantastic. It was sad as well. I don't look forward to the series ending as all around it's been one of the best things I've seen in a while from you guys as far as story goes.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
The Sha of Anger, Sha of Hatred and Sha of Violence seem to have literally lost face from years of imprisonment(grown extra eyes as well).

On the inconsistencies: Ancient scrolls would embelish the stories by claiming the Sha were defeated in long epic fights.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]