Cloak goes from 608 Epic to 600 Legendary

08/02/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Lore
I thought this was a bug, but i've seen a few people mention this is actually intended and that we won't be able to upgrade it.

That's actually incorrect. The legendary cloak will be upgradable.

We're also discussing some options for preserving the upgrade status, but it's a tricky issue to solve (mostly for tech-related reasons) so I can't make any guarantees there.

Just make it 608 Ilvl and not upgradeable fixed
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
+10 tooo Brewtalize for the easiest solution. Simply have the quest to upgrade it to legendary reward 500 valor. That way, no one who upgraded the epic version already loses anything. The only issue I can see is people complaining about those who complete it later not having to spend the original 500 valor, but some people will complain about anything.
Edited by Noeffect on 8/2/2013 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I know this is slightly off-topic, but can we turn in our cape for a new one or have the ability to choose which cape we want to make Legendary?

Currently, I am using the DPS cape because it is better itemized for Protection Paladins. When I did the quest for the Legendary on the PTR, I got an item that you just use by itself. It doesn't give me an option to select a cloak (I knew this from asking around prior to using the item). So, I had to DELETE (because the vendor won't buy it) my DPS cloak and buy the tanking cloak. After all that, I used the item and it just disappeared. It didn't upgrade my tanking cloak.

There are a few issues with that scenario.

1) We should be able to choose which cloak we upgrade.
2) That bug where the item does nothing and disappears has to be fixed prior to release for obvious reasons.
3) I shouldn't have to buy a brand new 600 ilvl cloak because you guys chose to poorly itemize the original tanking cloak.
3a) Haven't you figured out that nobody wants Dodge + Parry gear and hasn't wanted that itemization since the release of MoP? It's really frustrating that the developers are so out of touch with the tanking community that they refused to pick up on this for almost a year.
Edited by Blizzhoof on 8/2/2013 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I thought this was a bug, but i've seen a few people mention this is actually intended and that we won't be able to upgrade it.

We're also discussing some options for preserving the upgrade status, but it's a tricky issue to solve (mostly for tech-related reasons) so I can't make any guarantees there.

Will it be sold at the quartermaster with the epic cloaks? Cause currently you cannot buy legendary cloaks at the vender if you completed the chain quest. Not sure if intended or not.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Just make it base 608 without the option of upgrades.

Or require people to have a fully upgraded cloak in order to get the legendary one to begin with.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
+10 tooo Brewtalize for the easiest solution. Simply have the quest to upgrade it to legendary reward 500 valor. That way, no one who upgraded the epic version already loses anything. The only issue I can see is people complaining about those who complete it later not having to spend the original 500 valor, but some people will complain about anything.

And what if you're valor capped?

Just make it 608, non-upgradable.

/thread
Reply Quote
08/02/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Allayva
Wouldn't it be easy enough just to have the quest reward enough valor to go upgrade it 2 times rather than some technical hoop jump to keep the upgrades?

While that would work, if 5.4 follows 5.2, there will be no npc to upgrade the cloak from 600 to 608 until 5.5 appears around the corner.

Its already been said multiple times that the plan (so far) is to allow upgrades in 5.4.

If you want a link, Google it yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Are people really crying about 8 ilvls? Is this real life?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Yes. We can't all be perfect like you, SENSATIONS. :-P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

500 valor.

kind of an issue since we still have a weekly valor cap...
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/02/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Blizzhoof
I know this is slightly off-topic, but can we turn in our cape for a new one or have the ability to choose which cape we want to make Legendary?

I'm not completely sure how things are set up in the build that's going up today, but our intent is actually that you'll be able to acquire multiple Legendary cloaks, if you like. So, if you wanted, you could actually get one for both your Protection and Retribution spec :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
08/02/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Secondwind
The proc will make up for the loss of stats. I promise.

Only because 8 ilvls is such a small amount by itself.

The proc itself is nothing special. It's really disappointing that a legendary proc is so much less significant than the metagem we got last patch, or even a trinket. Nevermind the fact that it's a cloak, and one with a disappointing model that most people won't want to display at all.

I just don't see what's supposed to be legendary about this legendary.

I never really felt it was legendary to begin with, since everyone who can do LFR will probably have it eventually, or at least are eligable to get it unlike in the past. Legendaries should be about prestige and rarity as well as power.

I find it strange they put it in LFR to begin with, as well as making it available to everyone who hits 90. I'm sure I'll get it sometime next patch, and I'm sure my dps will be better, but I won't feel like I've achieved too much considering half the people in my LFR will have it or are close to getting it.

But, unless they continue this trend next expansion (I hope they don't, I hope the next one is limited to flex/normal/heroic or something) it'll be the only legendary I'll ever have that I was able to use while it was current. So no real complaints here.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

If you can't maintain the ilevel, it's not the end of the world. It's only 500 vp.

You could just make the legendary cloak ilevel 608 and just not make it upgradeable as an alternative. And since you're going to allow people to buy multiple cloaks in 5.4, just put a 500 VP cost in there in addition to the gold required to preserve the cost.
Edited by Jooki on 8/2/2013 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
When 5.4 comes out I'll probably be valor capped on the 3 characters that currently have a cloak anyway. So, even if in the process of turning it orange gives me a ilvl 600 (upgrade level 0/2) item, i'll just be happy that it is upgradable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
08/02/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Lore

I'm not completely sure how things are set up in the build that's going up today, but our intent is actually that you'll be able to acquire multiple Legendary cloaks, if you like. So, if you wanted, you could actually get one for both your Protection and Retribution spec :)

What if the cloak just transformed with Spec? Kinda like that polearm from MC that could be transformed. Or Benediction?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Now, I don't mean to dispute this claim, but how exactly is it a tricky issue to resolve? Currently, if you turn in a token to get tier, and have upgraded the token previously, the tier you get is upgraded already. Now, obviously, a cloak and a token are different items, but why is one transaction technically more difficult than the other? Unless it's related to it being a quest rather than a vendor, in which case I would propose the upgrade from epic to legendary quest be changed from as a result of the quest, to getting a token-esque item from the quest, which is then traded, along with the cloak, to a vendor.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
08/02/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Allayva
Wouldn't it be easy enough just to have the quest reward enough valor to go upgrade it 2 times rather than some technical hoop jump to keep the upgrades?

While that would work, if 5.4 follows 5.2, there will be no npc to upgrade the cloak from 600 to 608 until 5.5 appears around the corner.
Some Blizzard devs have said that the current design for 5.4 is to not have Valor items, but simply have Valor used for upgrades. So yes, there will be NPCs to upgrade the cloak, because otherwise Valor would be completely useless, particularly with the old valor gear becoming justice gear.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
if it is upgradable, have it preserve 2/2 upgrades. that would be fair, imo.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
As an update, there's been a very slight change of plans. Our current thinking is to either start the Legendary cloak off at 2/2 upgraded (regardless of whether you upgraded the Epic cloak or not), or just have it set to 608 item level and disable upgrades for it. If we do decide to make one of those changes, the cloak will not be upgradable further than item level 608.

Apologies for the misinformation earlier :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As an update, there's been a very slight change of plans. Our current thinking is to either start the Legendary cloak off at 2/2 upgraded (regardless of whether you upgraded the Epic cloak or not), or just have it set to 608 item level and disable upgrades for it. If we do decide to make one of those changes, the cloak will not be upgradable further than item level 608.

Apologies for the misinformation earlier :)

Is there any chance we can transmog the cloak? It'd be nice as a mistweaver to get the green yulon proc instead of chi jis...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]