"Heal my Pet!"

90 Blood Elf Hunter
I am leveling a priest at the moment, and it seems like I get a good amount of hunters asking me to heal their pets. Why? When I play this hunter, it isn't that hard to click mend pet a couple of times. So healers do you heal pets? I just don't see the need to because of the owner is capable of doing so. I don't have my UI set up to heal pets - I don't even know if vuhdo has that option. I have been cussed out before because I don't. Just today, I think, someone was cussing me in a different language because I wouldn't heal their pets. I made out the words "nub", "pet", and "heal". I don't respond, I just automatically ignore them. Am I wrong? Is it proper "WoW etiquette" to heal pets? Thanks for your replies.
Edited by Deynesta on 8/1/2013 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't generally heal someone's pet, even at low levels unless I somehow notice it during my boredom. It's not something people should expect :P Now if someone asked me politely to heal their pet, I would. Rudely? Nope!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Hunters have Mend Pet. Warlocks have a way to heal their pet, too. I don't heal pets unless it's a specific situation (i.e. Dark Animus Heroic).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What's a pet

They already get my stupid Wild Growth dumb heal.

And I'm ticked off enough about that alone that I will never heal a pet.

I love when 4 of 5 wildgrowth applications go to....army of dead. Wonderful.
Edited by Tonydanza on 8/1/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
What's a pet

They already get my stupid Wild Growth dumb heal.

And I'm ticked off enough about that alone that I will never heal a pet.

I love when 4 of 5 wildgrowth applications go to....army of dead. Wonderful.

Cascade heals...

Totems
Wild Imps
Bloodworms
Army of the Dead ghouls
Unholy Ghouls
Kitties
Puppies
Wolves
Corehounds
And Warlock Portals. :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
08/01/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Blackheart
I don't generally heal someone's pet, even at low levels unless I somehow notice it during my boredom. It's not something people should expect :P Now if someone asked me politely to heal their pet, I would. Rudely? Nope!

Maybe you wouldn't be so bored if you actually paid attention and did your job correctly. As a healer it is my job to heal and if you aren't going to heal pets, why heal the Hunter? The Pet is an extension of him in every way.

If you find it hard to pay attention to pet health, maybe you should choose another profession before it's to late.

Keep your pet from having threat, and use Mend Pet. There's a reason it's on your bar. If your pet is specifically tanking for the group, then I'll heal it. Otherwise, it's your responsibility - not mine - to keep your pet alive. You wanna do DPS? Don't let your pet do stupid things.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
It depends a lot on why the pet needs heals. For unavoidable aoes? Sure, i'll drop a hot on it when time allows. If the hunter is using the pet to off-tank a mob that was headed to me? Yup, better to heal the pet than tank a mob. The hunter has growl on and the pet is taunting off the tank? Probably not, pets generally are more mana intensive to heal than a tank so when the choice is heal pet and go OOM or let the pet die kitty is gonna be a floor stain.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Maybe you wouldn't be so bored if you actually paid attention and did your job correctly. As a healer it is my job to heal and if you aren't going to heal pets, why heal the Hunter? The Pet is an extension of him in every way.

If you find it hard to pay attention to pet health, maybe you should choose another profession before it's to late.

pet health bars aren't even on my frames lol

your pet really shouldn't be taking deadly damage unless you forgot to turn off growl.
Reply Quote
We once derped on the last trash before Lei Shen and tanks died, so the hunter pet tanked. Our RL/RDruid was screaming on mumble that he could not heal the tank pet because he didn't have any heals keybound (he used Clique and just bound normal number keys to CDs). Fun times!

I never heal pets. I don't even have pet frames showing, even in 5 mans. They already soak enough from my splash healing such as HR, CH and also soak HST/HTT ticks, oh and Ascendance healing too. NO ONE GET FREE RIDES ON MY HEALING CHOO-CHOO, SO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HYENAS! >:(

You wanna do DPS? Don't let your pet do stupid things.

Tbh there are cases where just plain encounter design screws up pets whether we want to heal them or not. Pets commiting suicide in H Spine, anyone? The forums were flooded of "Why are my pets dying?" and "Hunters unviable for H Spine" back then <.<
Edited by Korghal on 8/1/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Pets receive 0% of my attention except on Dark Animus or any other situation where it's intended to be tanking. They're no longer very hard for the hunter/warlock to keep them alive under ordinary circumstances, and as such I no longer have their frames shown by default.

Maybe you wouldn't think keeping your pet alive was the healer's responsibility if you actually paid attention and used your abilities correctly. As a DPS, it's your job to do damage, and if you aren't going to manage your pet to maximize your damage, why play a pet class? It's an extension of you in every way (except for the part where, unlike you, it probably won't die from standing in fire - see http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=avoidance#abilities - and by the way, if it's taking enough damage to die, you should probably turn growl off or not misdirect to it.).

If you find it hard to pay attention to pet health and mechanics, maybe you should choose another class before it's to [sic] late.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Tbh there are cases where just plain encounter design screws up pets whether we want to heal them or not. Pets commiting suicide in H Spine, anyone? The forums were flooded of "Why are my pets dying?" and "Hunters unviable for H Spine" back then <.<

Oh, for sure. But it's not like a healer could save them from falling through the world. :-\

I do heal pets on Dark Animus, but that's because they're tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Arguably healing a pet helps with the parties DPS. i.e. if someone needs to burn GCD to heal that is lost damage.

But really, who cares.

Especially when the reason they need healed is because they don't understand what growl is all about.

The only time I actively heal a pet is when they are tanking for my benefit. Anything standing between me and that thing trying to chew on my face is going to have a high survival rate.

If we are running between trash, sure I throw a renew on it, I can multitask. Better that the hunter keeps up than me worrying about overworking my prissy little finger that does not want to stretch over to that button way over there and tap an instant heal.

In the middle of an encounter, when I am staying on top of dispel, handing people speed buffs so they can deal with mechanics easier, worrying about the CD on fear ward, and dancing chakras to interrupt a polymorph that is about to land on the tank, and the owner of the pet goes, "why no heals for my pet?" This person I want to smack.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Keep your pet from having threat, and use Mend Pet. There's a reason it's on your bar. If your pet is specifically tanking for the group, then I'll heal it. Otherwise, it's your responsibility - not mine - to keep your pet alive. You wanna do DPS? Don't let your pet do stupid things.

Basically.

It's not a healers job to heal YOUR pet.

Will I heal a pet if it's low? Maybe, but a new healer may not even be paying attention to it.
Edited by Veroicone on 8/1/2013 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My healing raid frame doesn't show pets any more, so I no longer heal pets, unless it's tanking on the behalf of a dead or afk tank.

Pets may get splash healing from some of my heals, but I thought they almost never take damage, unless they are tanking (and why are they tanking?).

Does Atonement still heal pets after they changed it? Or only when all players are full?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
My healing raid frame doesn't show pets any more, so I no longer heal pets, unless it's tanking on the behalf of a dead or afk tank.

Pets may get splash healing from some of my heals, but I thought they almost never take damage, unless they are tanking (and why are they tanking?).

Does Atonement still heal pets after they changed it? Or only when all players are full?

They normally take very little damage unless directly tanking mobs. If they're dropping dead, it's almost always a bug (as was seen at the start of 5.3).

Atonement only heals pets after players are full, I believe.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^ Yeah, I think that's how it heals as well when it comes to pets.

Normally pets do not take any damage, or at least they shouldn't be really (at least in dungeons).
Edited by Veroicone on 8/1/2013 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I heal pets unless they refuse to turn their taunt off or if I'm struggling healing a certain instance. Like being a fresh 90 healer healing a fresh 90 tank (or not using active mitigation) in a heroic. Cata dungeons can be pretty hectic too.

90% of the time where a pet needs a heal is because the hunter doesn't know how to turn growl off. Or the lock doesn't know how to turn off threatening presence. Sometimes a mob might normally turn around and attack them, and some aoes hit them even though it's not normal to happen (like double swipe kills my mindbender).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Why you gotta hate pets?

I always heal pets. I even rez them when they die.

I don't heal goblins though. They don't deserve it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]