"Heal my Pet!"

90 Troll Priest
There are just so few situations where healing pets is needed. Even on heroic dark animus you can heal the warlock in order to heal their pets, so druid hots usually take care of it and hunter's mend pet takes care of theirs all by it self (not to mention aoe like halo, and healing rain already heal pets). I honestly can only say I heal them if they're tanking in a 5man (or whenever we decidedto do trash via hunter pet tank.)
Edited by Zolvolt on 9/2/2013 11:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Some of the healers in this thread seem to have a misunderstanding of when pets take damage. In most dungeons and raids, the aoe won't do a lot of damage to them but there are exceptions. E.g. pets can take a crap load of damage from the commanders in the barrens. I usually heal them in that situation because more often than not they are tanking. As a hunter I can tell you that spamming mend pet on my pet with a commander whaling on it did not keep it from dying. If you simply refuse to heal pets on principle then there are some occasions when you will be doing your team a disservice. Learn when you need to heal them. It's part of your job.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
09/02/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Roxtar

neither, heal your own damn pet, especially if you insist on standing on that green goo

I don't have pet health frames either... But don't pets take almost no dmg from standing in krap nowadays?

Generally, yes, pets take almost no damage from most aoe effects and will only get in serious trouble if they get threat.

However, not having pets on your frames is kind of baddie play IMO. There are times when you should be healing a pet because the Hunter is using it to cover tank fail and the like. If that pet is tanking a mob that was headed for your face because the tank didn't notice it then mend pet may not be enough, pet dies, you are now tanking the mob-far from the optimal result. In that case the hunter played well (assuming CC was not an available option) and YOU failed right along with the tank who failed to notice the mob.
Reply Quote
Just some points for pet classes that you should realize before berating your healer because he didn't keep your pet alive for you.

Healers have priorities, just like dps have rotations. Our priorities revolve around keeping the raid alive. Roughly, it looks something like this.

1 - Keep the tank alive, generally, a dead tank is a wipe in a raid setting, with a few exceptions
2 - Keep ourselves alive, because without healers, the raid wipes 99 times out of 100
3 - Keep dps alive
4 - Conserve mana to sustain healing for the entire fight
5 - Do things to help maximize other players' performance (i.e. healing pets for them)

You might argue that pets fall under the "keep dps alive" category, but that's not true. The simple reason is that if a hunter or warlock is alive, they can revive their pet without costing the raid a battle-rez.

I'm not saying healing pets shouldn't be done, but if you've ever healed a raid, you know that there is rarely a time where you don't need to be healing another player, and when you don't need to heal players, your times is probably best spent regenerating mana for later in the fight.

In 5-man's, particularly while leveling, it's a different story, because mana is rarely a concern if your group isn't moving excessively fast. On the other hand, if your pet is taking significant damage in a 5-man, I'd be willing to bet that it's because the pet is tanking a mob that it shouldn't be, whether the fault is the tank's or the pet's owner. In that case we're in a place where the healer should not be expected to cover the mistakes of others in the group. Can he cover them? Maybe, maybe not. But harassing a healer because he didn't fix your mistake is, in my view, just makes you a jerk who can't accept responsibility for his own mistakes.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Warrior
I don't have pet health frames either... But don't pets take almost no dmg from standing in krap nowadays

"you" meaning the player, not the pet
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Pets can take damage from AOE that isn't caused by pulling aggro.
If a Hunter or Warlock takes the time to heal their pet, it takes away from their DPS.

Healing a pet is like having an extra player(s) to look after in a run.
If no one else is in danger, it's not hard to throw a heal on a pet.

If you have the time and mana to heal a pet, not doing it is being a lazy healer.

Basically this, with one additional point: As long as mana isn't an issue.

Other players are obviously a priority, and the warlocks and hunters should/probably are watching their pets, but if you have extra time / mana, there's little reason not to toss a quick heal on a pet.

It also shouldn't be expected, and isn't a huge deal if it isn't done. but given the above conditions, most experienced healers will toss pets a heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

I don't have pet health frames either... But don't pets take almost no dmg from standing in krap nowadays?

Generally, yes, pets take almost no damage from most aoe effects and will only get in serious trouble if they get threat.

However, not having pets on your frames is kind of baddie play IMO. There are times when you should be healing a pet because the Hunter is using it to cover tank fail and the like. If that pet is tanking a mob that was headed for your face because the tank didn't notice it then mend pet may not be enough, pet dies, you are now tanking the mob-far from the optimal result. In that case the hunter played well (assuming CC was not an available option) and YOU failed right along with the tank who failed to notice the mob.

I'm a horrible baddie.

I only use pet frames during H DA.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Another thing to point out: Everyone is assuming max level, top notch play. Admittedly, at that level, healing the pet is mostly inconsequential.

The OP was referring leveling dungeons though, where pets can, and often do, provide important roles for the group.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Another thing to point out: Everyone is assuming max level, top notch play. Admittedly, at that level, healing the pet is mostly inconsequential.

The OP was referring leveling dungeons though, where pets can, and often do, provide important roles for the group.

Which was addressed, several times :p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Which was addressed, several times :p

A very significant number of posters are overlooking it anyway =/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus
However, not having pets on your frames is kind of baddie play IMO. T

DO you realise just how many pets a 25 man or even 40 man world boss group can have?

A 3 man scenario with no tank, I am going to watch the pet frame, A 5 man group if the tank is dead I will pay attention to pet frame. 10 man up? Very occasionally a elemental might save the day, 25+ Just say No to pet frames.

Damage to pets, the pet has 90+ avoidance hard coded, incidental healing is fine, The pet gas 0 damage avoidance coded, the pet just dies, say snail trash for example, The pet is tanking, its healable, of course 90% of the time its because the stupid hunter has not turned off taunt in which case I am going to let the pet die.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
09/05/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Mate
A 5 man group if the tank is dead

then he probably did something very wrong in the first place. We're either going to wipe because he pulled 8 groups at once, or we'll be fine because 5mans don't have significant damage compared to my gear and he only died because he decided to play "line-of-sight-the-healer".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I heal my arena partner's pets (obviously), but in randoms its situational. If the dps are topped off and my mana looks good I'll throw a heal to a hunter or warlock pet if they need it, sometimes the CC from the warlock pet or a hunter pet following/finishing someone off around a corner can make a huge difference. If there are dps that need heals they are definitely priority and more than one pet has gone down in the heat of battle because healing them just wasn't a viable option. All that being said it's absolutely the DPS'ers responsibility to keep their pet alive more than a healers..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/01/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Blackheart
I don't generally heal someone's pet, even at low levels unless I somehow notice it during my boredom. It's not something people should expect :P Now if someone asked me politely to heal their pet, I would. Rudely? Nope!

Maybe you wouldn't be so bored if you actually paid attention and did your job correctly. As a healer it is my job to heal and if you aren't going to heal pets, why heal the Hunter? The Pet is an extension of him in every way.

If you find it hard to pay attention to pet health, maybe you should choose another profession before it's to late.

I know I am coming into this late, but the above response may be one of the dumbest things I have seen on this forum to date.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I know I am coming into this late, but the above response may be one of the dumbest things I have seen on this forum to date.

There are entirely too many stupid things on this forum for me to choose just one for the "Dumbest Post of the Year" award.

...we should totally do a "Dumbest Post of the Year" award thread. Really. Nothing could go wrong with this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
09/06/2013 12:06 AMPosted by Frozenorange
A 5 man group if the tank is dead

then he probably did something very wrong in the first place. We're either going to wipe because he pulled 8 groups at once, or we'll be fine because 5mans don't have significant damage compared to my gear and he only died because he decided to play "line-of-sight-the-healer".

My favorite game is tank half of the 4 groups you just pulled then LoS me not by running out of the fire but into it. Oh wait, that actually happened. Luckily the enhance shaman could tank the stuff on him plus the tank's. I had a couple guys on top of me but it wasn't anything major.

09/06/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Tiriel

There are entirely too many stupid things on this forum for me to choose just one for the "Dumbest Post of the Year" award.

...we should totally do a "Dumbest Post of the Year" award thread. Really. Nothing could go wrong with this idea.

Problem. Our scale only goes to 10.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/06/2013 01:02 PMPosted by Kaara

Maybe you wouldn't be so bored if you actually paid attention and did your job correctly. As a healer it is my job to heal and if you aren't going to heal pets, why heal the Hunter? The Pet is an extension of him in every way.

If you find it hard to pay attention to pet health, maybe you should choose another profession before it's to late.

I second that.

Main thing: I'm healing your stupid pet, end of story. First: I've never seen a pet save the day (aside from when I do heal the pet while it tanks for the dead tank), in which case the pet didn't save the day, I did. I could have just as easily healed the rogue and let him tank in that situation, so don't get a big ego hunters/warlocks, you're pet it expendible in every way. They don't take any kind of damage, or durability loss, and most can easily be revived with little to no effort.

Also: you pet shouldn't be taking that much damage in the first place. If you're pet is getting threat, turn growl off, if it's because the tank sucks then why are you yelling at the healer? If the tank can't grab aggro off your precious fluffy animal it's not my fault.

I'll heal a pet if I have full mana and I'm bored, but otherwise there's just no point, THEY"RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT AT ALL. Seriously, all you hunters and locks need to deal with it. In anything bigger than solo questing your pet isn't saving the day, and neither is your dps.
Reply Quote
73 Human Monk
I use Raidframes and Mouseovers, and I have them set so the pet shows up in Raidframes. Yes, I heal pets. I'm usually the first one to notice that the pet has not been taken off Growl, too.

"Quitcher bellyaching, you whiny Tank! I'll give you a rez in a second. Didn't you see that cute little bear was about to die???"

No, I'm not that bad. Members always take priority over pets.

However, if someone were to rudely demand that I heal their pet, I'd simply tell them to use mend and that I'm not going to. I'm the healer, not the friggin' veterinarian. And if they cuss you out, report their rude !@#. And if you're in a dungeon, Vote to Kick. And if the Vote to Kick fails, stay with group to first boss, then leave, preferably in the middle of some heavy combat, and before you go, say, "Next time you want me to heal your pet, try asking nicely."

Huntard would rather make you responsible for healing the pet. Casting pet heals takes away from His Royal Highness's DPS. Tell His Majesty to suck it up, because you aren't doing it.
Edited by Jesebard on 9/7/2013 6:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Human Monk
1 - Keep the tank alive, generally, a dead tank is a wipe in a raid setting, with a few exceptions
2 - Keep ourselves alive, because without healers, the raid wipes 99 times out of 100
3 - Keep dps alive
4 - Conserve mana to sustain healing for the entire fight
5 - Do things to help maximize other players' performance (i.e. healing pets for them)

Not trying to start a fight about this, but I take issue with the placement of 1 and 2.

Keeping ourselves alive is number one priority, although I concede that tank comes in second. Unless you're a Holy Priest, for a few seconds after death, there is no way to keep anyone else alive if you're not.

Though a recent group I had makes me wonder if where "Keeping Heals alive" is on tank priority. I've never played a tank and don't think I'd be good at it. But is "Keeping Mobs off Heals" anywhere in the tank's priority list? My group wiped just now because I was descended upon by a bunch of hyenas while tank was attacking something else. I did my best to keep myself up, but there were too many, and my cries for help went ignored.

Maybe tanks will weigh in on how important they believe keeping mobs away from heals really is.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I heal everything, pets too because they are part of our group. Pets are an extention of a hunter and sometimes half of the hunters damage (BM).

Also, it doesn't take much to heal a pet. They heal nice and mana cost is hardly nothing compared to healing people.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]