How fun is the Paladin Class?

80 Human Paladin
So, Mage has been getting boring to me. I've played Mage for a long while, and I want something new. I was considering Feral, but I just don't like the shape-shifting element, and I hate energy. My Paladin has been sitting at 80 for awhile.

I don't care about how good Paladin is, or how "difficult" they are. Not FOTM re-rolling or anything, or asking for an easy class. All I care about is how gripping the class is. Right now, Mage is perhaps the most boring class. Well, Rogue is probably worse.... but still. Boring class, boring spec's.

In specific, I want to play Ret. Maybe a dash of Holy Paladin. How fun are each of the spec's? Ret just seems so fun to play. Lots of mobility, nice survivability, and a great spec for all sorts of Arena Comps.

Side note - If I do roll Ret, I'm not going to want to spend more than maybe 15 hours getting to 90. Is there any LEGAL way to get boosted from 80-85 in a couple of hours? I have a lot of gold, so I'd be willing to spend it on boosting myself. I know a way in Kun-Lai to get from 85-90 in 3-4 hours tops, so that part is not a problem.

Thanks in advance :)
Edited by Braveheart on 8/10/2013 8:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Camp Krol in Dread Wastes to get Elixir of Ancient Knowledge, then spam instances.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Camp Krol in Dread Wastes to get Elixir of Ancient Knowledge, then spam instances.

I'm on one of the largest PvP servers, and most of my battletag friends are also on my server. It would take me more time to get that than to just level by boosting :/
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Paladins are so fun I decided to level a second.

As to the 80-85 grind, if you're in a L25 guild and have a higher level character, you can get five XP heirlooms that go to 85 - three just from guild, two old ones that cap at 80 that you can spend more JP on to make them go to 85. The Cata grind was a breeze on this guy.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Paladins are so fun I decided to level a second.

As to the 80-85 grind, if you're in a L25 guild and have a higher level character, you can get five XP heirlooms that go to 85 - three just from guild, two old ones that cap at 80 that you can spend more JP on to make them go to 85. The Cata grind was a breeze on this guy.

Hmmm. How long does 80-85 take with the guild bonus and those heirlooms? Could I do it in a few hours?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Yeah, probably. I spread mine out over a few days, but between being rested, having a full set of heirlooms, and guild perks, it goes by fast.

Darkmoon Faire buff helps, too, but that ends tonight.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Yeah, probably. I spread mine out over a few days, but between being rested, having a full set of heirlooms, and guild perks, it goes by fast.

Darkmoon Faire buff helps, too, but that ends tonight.

I've been left logged on in SW for so long that I'm probably fully rested. Is ret the fastest to level, or is prot?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret paladins are my all time favorite class to play. I try to go and level other toons, but I always end up back on this one. I PvP a ton. We can output some mean dps, as well as be pretty self sustainable with heals. talent, glyph, gem, and reforge right and you have nothing to worry about.

Also I would say ret is probably fastest to quest with, the dps is much higher than a prot, and you have enough heals to keep yourself alive through pretty much anything.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
I've been left logged on in SW for so long that I'm probably fully rested. Is ret the fastest to level, or is prot?

Definitely Ret for questing; Prot if you want to grind dungeons. Best part is that both specs use the same gear, now, so you don't have to worry about building a second set to weigh down your bags.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Definitely Ret for questing; Prot if you want to grind dungeons. Best part is that both specs use the same gear, now, so you don't have to worry about building a second set to weigh down your bags.

Also I would say ret is probably fastest to quest with, the dps is much higher than a prot, and you have enough heals to keep yourself alive through pretty much anything.

Thanks. I'll drop holy for ret while leveling, then.

Ret paladins are my all time favorite class to play. I try to go and level other toons, but I always end up back on this one. I PvP a ton. We can output some mean dps, as well as be pretty self sustainable with heals. talent, glyph, gem, and reforge right and you have nothing to worry about.

Sounds great. I just finished playing Ret on the PTR for an hour, and it's a really fun spec. Damage was also insane when you line up all your cd's. 100k Templar's, 70k Crusader Strikes, 60k Exorcisms, et cetera. I definitely like the class. I'll try to do 80-85 tomorrow if I can. Probably not, but I may. I kinda wanna keep researching to see if there's a faster way to boost level.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not as fun as monk.

More useful (overall) than monk.

I love my paladin, but when I play my monk, the pally feels incredibly dull. More useful... slightly more powerful... and on-demand burst is wonderful. The rotation, however (particularly as ret) is boring as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret bores the hell out of me personally. Sure they can put out some scary burst but I get zero satisfaction playing them.
Edited by Divíne on 8/11/2013 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Look up "Monkey Runs". I know players are always paying for them.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Not as fun as monk.

More useful (overall) than monk.

I love my paladin, but when I play my monk, the pally feels incredibly dull. More useful... slightly more powerful... and on-demand burst is wonderful. The rotation, however (particularly as ret) is boring as hell.

Ret bores the hell out of me personally. Sure they can put out some scary burst but I get zero satisfaction playing them.

I started to realize that. It seemed like it was all just a rotation, even in PvP.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
It seemed like it was all just a rotation, even in PvP.

Same can be said of everything, though, really. Even to the boredom bit. And that's why some people play Paladins, other people play Mages, DKs, Monks, Warlocks, etc. Just have to find what suits you and run with it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I find my ret paladin extremely fun to play. I do mostly arena and I find ret an easy class to be decent at and a hard class to be good at, that's my favorite part
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
ret is fun, would be funnier if it wasn't for the inquisition mechanic
Reply Quote
41 Human Priest
pallys are toooooo fun got 3 :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
^^ agree completely, in 5.4 every charge will give 20seconds, but I just don't understand why the damage buff can't just be passive at that point
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Half of you are saying it's a ton of fun, and half of you say it's boring. I've always wanted to play a hybrid, and at this point I think I'm just going to do it. I'll have to server change before I level, though. All my BoA's and stuff are on KT.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]