Struggling Healer

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I was doing fine until I hit the Shaopan Monastery and Mogushan Palace but now I cant keep up. Any tips for healing dungeons? I am sucking hard.
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
The only really obvious thing is replacing your boots -- I'd suggest the quest from Sha of Anger, except I think you can't do it until 90. But any MoP green plate with int should be an improvement over what you have, almost regardless of precisely what secondary stats are on it.

Other than that, I think you need to be more specific about what the problem is -- is the tank dying faster than you can heal them? (What kind of tank? How much are they pulling? Are they using AM appropriately, or even at all?) Are you seeing a lot of damage to non-tanks that you can't keep up with? Are you getting hit a lot yourself?

Or are you running out of mana? (Is the tank checking your mana between pulls, particularly before bosses?)

Some people have adopted a zerg "strategy" for dungeons that only works if the dungeon is badly undertuned or you outgear it by a lot -- a lot of dungeon groups do fall into one or both of those categories, but some don't and you have to actually learn to play. But it's the whole group that needs to learn to play in that situation, not just the healer. Pulling too many mobs at once, DPS taking too much aggro, or not allowing healers to get mana between pulls can cause serious problems in non-joke dungeons, but there's not much the healer specifically can do about them.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I also request more detail and clarification!

Monastery and Palace are intended to be notable steps up in difficulty from the previous dungeons, as they're a small level bracket jump, but that also means you (and your party) are comparing them to, and maybe believing that they should be as easy, as easier dungeons. When you're doing Brewery at 87, pulling several packs and flying through.. you're out-gearing and out-leveling it. You probably weren't doing that at 85.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry for not clarifying. I can save the tank, not a problem. It is more of AOE healing. When everyone has taken damage I am not sure how to get everyone back up. For instance, the last boss in SPM. There is a lot of damage that goes out and it becomes tough for me. This is my first healer so I just get a little overwhelmed and panic I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
EDIT: I main-spec holy - just realized i logged out in prot for somebody to look at something.

Lots of damage on last boss in SPM.. means that people are doing 1 of 2 things (or both)

1) Orbs - They were ignored by dps or dps couldn't kill them fast enough and people stay standing in the purple puddle
2) Swirly wall of ouch centered on the boss - people standing in that.. it hurts...

Things you can do.

1) Beacon tank or if you have 1 good dps you're identified beacon them and keep healing the tank (but don't forget about yourself). Try to get a EF running everybody (even if its just a 1 or 2 hp one).
2) Pretty sure Devo helps on that fight (I really haven't had to use it to know).
3) Yell at dps/tanks standing in the purple.
4) Don't be afraid to switch Divine Purp for HA for a fight. Its duration is long enough to get a 3HP EF running on everybody.
5) If people are spread out then move beacon around and heal somebody else. Spreading out negates the holy radiance and LOD healing big time.
Edited by Mechvfpally on 8/12/2013 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
AoE means using radiance/LoD, and then;

08/12/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Mechvfpally
3) Yell at dps/tanks standing in the purple.

If you've identified a dps during the course of a run that's problematic, low dps, always standing in things, feel free to have them be your lowest priority to heal and don't feel bad if they die.

You can heal a lot, but you can't heal stupid, and it's not your responsibility to do it forever. A healer can only be expected to do so much, and if everyone is taking damage from something that they shouldn't be taking damage from, that's not entirely on you. They need to not be in it, or not be doing what caused it.
Edited by Cayse on 8/12/2013 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
That is probably the case Cayse and I just think its me.
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
08/12/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Cayse
If you've identified a dps during the course of a run that's problematic, low dps, always standing in things, feel free to have them be your lowest priority to heal and don't feel bad if they die.

I was going to suggest the same thing. If there's one DPS that is particularly bad at taking damage (like taking more than the other two DPS combined), use only cheap heals on them when nobody else needs healing, and if that results in their death, 4-man the encounter and then raise them. (Some people wouldn't even do the raise part.) If they complain, point out that they were taking much more damage than the other DPS and ask why. Chances are, one of the other DPS or the tank will come in and point out that they were standing in fire or the equivalent.

At that point the problem DPS can either shape up, shut up, or get lost -- and it doesn't really matter which. (Although, in this case, it was the endboss anyway.) DPS in general are expendable in a lot of content, but especially DPS that don't avoid avoidable damage. You should try to avoid blaming yourself for other people's mistakes (or letting other people blame you).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wonder if it is a CD issue, as in not using them. I could see you getting up to these two dungeons without having to use anything but mana and direct heals.

Paladins are reactive healers so anything you can do proactively helps.
Devotion aura usually works on "purple" Hand of sacrifice. Rebuke, repentance, stun, dispells all these things can reduce what you have to heal .
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wonder if it is a CD issue, as in not using them. I could see you getting up to these two dungeons without having to use anything but mana and direct heals.

Paladins are reactive healers so anything you can do proactively helps.
Devotion aura usually works on "purple" Hand of sacrifice. Rebuke, repentance, stun, dispells all these things can reduce what you have to heal .

As soon as you mentioned Shado-Pan Monastary, I immediately thought of Devotion Aura. I remember early in the expansion trying to get through heroics; once I remembered about Devotion Aura, things started to get a lot easier. Then don't forget to use Guardian of the Ancient Kings for that extra healing boost. It's still a 5-man, so don't worry about only pumping Divine Lights off of it-- whatever heal you can get off in time to save people without sucking your mana dry is always a good heal.

You've also got your personal magic bubble to help relieve yourself from trying to heal yourself above others. Then there's also Hand of Sacrifice (which has been one of my favorite spells ever), to help cushion a health bar from dropping too quickly.

It's the last boss of the dungeon, so don't be afraid to use your cooldowns. At least you remember that they exist.

Also you're under 8-9k Spirit, so Glyph of Illumination might help out of mana is an issue. I've been hearing things about it, like dropping your mana by 15% when zoning in and stuff but then again, I don't know many people who take it on account of their spirit levels.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]