Healing in LFR indicative of 10m healing?

In terms of playstyle, I find healing in 25man just... strange. All I've done is LFR on the shaman and my mistweaver monk. I have a few things that confuse me, even though I tank in a 7/13H ToT guild.

First, I feel like there's not much to heal a lot of the time. NOt sure if smart heals are bouncing around or what.

Secondly, I am not sure how healers keep straight what part of the raid they focus on healing, or does everybody just kind of wing it and heal whatever looks like it needs it?

As a tank and player of every class since vanilla, I've just never gotten into raid healing on a serious level and want to try it, but I feel like my shaman and Mistweaver just can't reach very quickly to not have heals sniped, or I'm just picking the wrong targets and running OOM a lot. 5-mans are incredibly easy for me though.

The reason I ask, is that I am considering that maybe I just don't like shaman/mistweaver and might try my disc priest. The disc priest I played a lot in cata as my first healer and did mostly 5mans, and I enjoyed it. Also, I've got a druid at about level 82 that I really enjoyed that I could play.

It's possible that I just don't like raid healing, too, so I'm curious if healing in a 10man setting in a non-LFR raid feels different/more engaging than 25man as well.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Try Grid 2 + Clique, Grid + Clique, Vuhdo or Healbot if you have not already. It will improve your reaction time most likely.

In LFR the damage is very low unless people are being stupid and ignoring mechanics or are unaware of them.

Add to this absorbs (which will be used up first during ongoing damage) and smart heals such as atonement/CoH and yes there is very little for a throughput healer to DO in LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
LFR isn't indicative for any aspect of healing - 10m or 25m. There will always be people that try-hard in LFR just for good numbers. You can't judge personal performance in LFR as an indicator for whether or not you're ready to heal actual 10/25m raids.

Raiding in a 10/25m setting is definitely more engaging than healing LFR.

Definitely try what Winnifred said with Grid(2)/Clique/Healbot/Vuhdo to help your reaction times, if you haven't already.

If you find that you're not a fan of raid healing, try a disc priest or holy paladin. They're the classic go-to healers for single-target.

As for keeping straight what you're "supposed to be healing," the more you play around with healing classes the easier it will get to determine what each healer's strengths are. I'd suggest you try all of them until you find one that you feel comfortable with. Once you do that, you'll find that your healing will improve. Not necessarily for any other reason than you're comfortable with and enjoy playing it.
Reply Quote
15 Gnome Monk
I don't know about shaman, but for mistweavers the difference between LFR healing and 10m healing is night and day. You absolutely cannot use LFR as an indicator for n/h raiding on a mistweaver.

The spec isn't able to snipe heal very much in the classic sense compared to other healers. If you tried to soothing mist/surge every target that gets low you'll be OOM in a minute. Mistweaver is more about giving the overall raid a consistent stream of strong HPS. In LFR that means overhealing through the roof.

In fact i would say not to even base the spec off of LFR experience. I personally hate doing LFR as mistweaver and when i do i just resort to fistweaving entire fights, which also gives no practice or real raid experience.

You should know that i'm heavily bias toward mistweavers. I think monk is the most fun class in the game and mistweaver being the most fun healer spec. They are really strong in 10m and i would suggest going straight into normals if you have appropriate gear. That is the only way to truly practice and learn.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
With your current gear level mana is going to be tight. Coupled with glyph of riptide it will kill your mana. Would suggest picking up glyph of totemic recall. If you pull your hst with a sec to go it makes it a free cast.

Raid Finder is a tough place to judge anything as there just isn't a lot of damage. And if two other healers are trying there just isn't enough to heal. In a ten man setting it is just fine despite the complaining you read on the forums. Shaman are a very versatile healer that can switch from tank healing to raid healing to huge cd's.

and btw MW are really good when played well. I enjoy my MW but shaman will always be my favorite healing class so I am biased.
Reply Quote
08/11/2013 02:08 AMPosted by Metotem
First, I feel like there's not much to heal a lot of the time.

This depends on the level of your group, but generally (if people follow the tactics just a little) you are right.
Absorbs > smart heals > faster reflexes, those heals will land first.

Secondly, I am not sure how healers keep straight what part of the raid they focus on healing, or does everybody just kind of wing it and heal whatever looks like it needs it?

I have never seen anyone asking for healing assignments in LFR. So ye, we wing it.

I feel like my shaman and Mistweaver just can't reach very quickly to not have heals sniped, or I'm just picking the wrong targets and running OOM a lot.

There isn't enough damage to heal, so pure healing classes won't win from absorb classes. Have you tried fistweaving on your Mistweaver on fights with damage modifiers (Jin'rokh, Horridon, Tortos)? The big AoE heals (HTT, Revival) are scaled to raidsize, so to answer your question about whether healing LFR is indicative of 10m... it isn't.

I am considering that maybe I just don't like shaman/mistweaver and might try my disc priest.

If your liking of a spec depends on topping the meters, stick with your mistweaver. They are incredible. If you are only gonna do LFR, and want to be #1, you could go disc.

I'm curious if healing in a 10man setting in a non-LFR raid feels different/more engaging than 25man as well.

In WotLK we had dedicated tank healers, but since Cata... not so much anymore. Every spec is capable of healing everything (especially because 10m doesn't always have a choice). While assignments give people some responsibility for their targets (lacking in LFR) and reduces overhealing (very high in LFR), any non-LFR raid will be better organized, more challenging and more engaging.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's a lot different than 10m healing, where even in normal you don't really assign, you cross-heal a lot. You have "loose" assignments. Meaning you play into your class strengths and understand your other healers, knowing how they heal so you don't have to make hard assignments. Sometimes you'll have 1 healer more dedicated to some raid members, sometimes not.

In 25m normal, it's a LOT different. You have to have assignments so people don't waste mana or let people die (example: say 1 rogue is at 10% health, and all 6 healers spam him to full while the tank goes neglected for 4 seconds and dies). Incoming damage on the tank is significantly higher in 25m than 10m, and 10m tank damage is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than LFR. Plus you can't heal everyone in 25m. You have to pick who to heal and trust your other healers won't let the rest of the raid die, like during the pounding on the last phase of Iron Qon. With 25 people taking huge incoming DPS, you can't be a hero and save the raid on your own unless you have a CD running.

You can't leave tanks unattended for 10-12 seconds like you would in LFR.
Edited by Dekkar on 8/11/2013 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
First, I feel like there's not much to heal a lot of the time. NOt sure if smart heals are bouncing around or what.

There generally isn't much to heal in 25 man LFR, especially if you have a few holy pallies and disc priests. Aside from that, LFR generally turns into a snipe fest. When I've done LFR, I just roll lifebloom on a tank and heal whoever.

I know some people complain about players that queue for LFR as heals and then just DPS, but it sure makes it for a better experience when you have 3-4 healers instead of 6-7. 6-7 healers is just stupid overkill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
LFR for a disc is just wearing out your index fingers pressing Smite, holy fire and penance over and over
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
First, I feel like there's not much to heal a lot of the time.

Exactly. And this is why LFR is a poor judge of your healin'.

For example, I can go into an LFR wing and heal as if I were healing a normal-mode 25, and come out on top, with 80k HPS. Or I could do the exact same thing and come out on the bottom with 24k HPS and a TON of overhealing.

One time, I decided to see how much I could game the system. I did a Twin Consorts and decided to spend the entire fight setting down shrooms and spreading Rejuv to EVERYONE. I was simply right clicking each and every raid frame, from top left to bottom right, then back to the top left, and blooming shrooms whenever I saw people in range. My healing was awesome. Top of the charts. HPS around 150k. I'd done something like 60% of the healing for the encounter ...

but if I took that approach in normal mode, things wouldn't go so well.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

One time, I decided to see how much I could game the system. I did a Twin Consorts and decided to spend the entire fight setting down shrooms and spreading Rejuv to EVERYONE.

That's nothing.

I went bear and taunted every other breath during Megaera just so I could cheese OP shrooms. LFR obviously.

Something stupid like 240k hps-.-

It was pretty funny, the other week during a normal farm kill a dps did too much in 25m normal at the start that the whole raid ate an entire breath and they thought I did it on purpose:P Darn Feral dps
Edited by Tonydanza on 8/12/2013 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
LFR for a disc is just wearing out your index fingers pressing Smite, holy fire and penance over and over

You left off spirit shell+PoH to victory...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]