Starting to heal, nervous as heck

90 Pandaren Monk
So the title says it all.

I used to be the main healer for my guild years ago when the top progression was Ulduar. Back then I used a Restoration Druid. With Cataclysm the Resto healing system seemed too frantic, so I switched to a different character.

I have been running solely LFR for the past half year as a Windwalker Monk. I would like to try my hand at healing again, so I have begun to assemble a set. I am at 487i gear score and with a few key pick-ups could easily be in the 490's.

I have never tried to heal as a Mistweaver before.

As I begin to learn and adjust to the class/spec I was wondering where people thought I should start? Normals, Heroics or LFR?

My eventual goal is to become a side-kick to someone like Mist so that I can fight crime in Pandaria. I mean..... I want to eventually become comfortable enough to raid normals.

Thanks, Sun
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you think you're comfortable enough to heal a LFR I'd do that. If you're a little unsure try running a few battlegrounds until you feel like you have gotten the hang of things and then do a LFR or heroic dungeon. LFR of course isn't a good measure of healing, but it is a nice environment (for the most part) to practice in. Then when you feel comfortable enough try to heal a normal raid, even if it's the previous tier :)

When I start healing on a toon at a level cap I usually do battlegrounds or dungeons, then LFR, then a 'real' raid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Gave Vaults a shot. Placed last on the first boss, 2nd on the 2nd boss, and last on the final boss. I honestly do not know what I am doing after reading the general rotation. I checked the results on the meters after each fight of another Monk who was #1 every fight. I saw three main spells. What is confusing is that I have like 7 at my disposal, but it looks like I will only be using a few. A LOT TO LEARN.

Night!

Sun
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
U will use a lot.. But a couple will always be yer best by alot..

Yer main problem is u aren't at a haste breakpoint. I'm on an ipad ATM and can't give you the number, but I recommend using askmrrobbot.com.. Should edit the stats weights a lil though.. Pick a RnM breakpoint.. Should shoot for the first or 2nd one.. Then pick a max spirit spot where u are comfertable with your mana.. Try to lower it every so often once u get used to managing your mana by mana tea.. I run with the minimum 5.3k just for hit cap for fistweaving when I do. Also increase crit on the list a lil higher but not at the same weight as yer spirit and haste breakpoint.. Lower mastery a lil due to it not being that strong.. And personally I put haste past breakpoint to 0 cuz once u hit a breakpoint to me it doesn't do much.
Edited by Lithmaster on 8/12/2013 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
LFR is a great place to learn a new healing spec. Most encounters can be done with only 3 healers actually paying attention, so there is a nice buffer for undergeared/inexperienced healers to practice.

I have mixed feelings about judging performance by healing meters. LFR can have a large range in iLevels of the players. If you just got enough iLevel to get into Vaults, for example, you might have a hard time doing 10% of the healing if there is a healer with mostly ToT gear.

Healing 5 mans is a different animal. Other than getting you used to reacting to damage, you won't typically focus on a healing "rotation" that works better for raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Please don't take this as you are bad or anything of the sort. Odds are you are probably just uninformed.

This is probably going to be a lot of information to process (hopefully I'm comparable enough to Mist).

First thing I did was I pulled up your armory and I noticed a few things.

Glyphs:
We as mistweavers have very few good glyphs.

Glyph of Uplift isn't one of them due to the change to our L30 talents we have one less chi dump leaving only Uplift and Enveloping Mist. This means we can prep 4 chi to uplift with our ReM spread during damage, and it takes a maximum of like 10s to prep that amount of chi before a massive damage spike. If you really need more burst healing right away you also have chi brew (Talent) which grants 4 addtional chi, and if that's not enough another healer can cover you (healing is a team sport). Holy Mother of God I just glyphed Uplift to see how much mana it cost and (O_o) it was basically 50k mana, which is absurd. You should get rid of this glyph in place of Glyph of Renew, and I"ll explain below.

Glyph of ReM is an awesome glyph it gives a much larger range to our Renewing Mist, and makes it easier to spread your renewing mist in 10m when the raid isn't stacked (the more important aspect is the range it gives ReM allowing for spreading to targets our of our range.

Glyph of Mana Tea has been mathed out to be superior to unglyphed mana tea currently. Let's assume you generate 80 mana tea over the course of a fight.

Glyphed mana tea would take 40 GCDs to consume all that chi.
Unglyphed mana tea would take 80 GCDs.

There are a few glyphs you can use for the third glyph slot. They consist of Spinning Crane Kick (allows for more mobility if you need to move while dealing with stacked damage that forces you to move), Zen Med (if you need a second damage reduction cd for yourself and need to move), and glyph of enduring healing spheres (YMMV: allows for your gift of the serpent healing spheres to last longer allowing a higher chance for them to be consumed; note this is probably a better glyph in 10m).

Enchants:
All your enchants look good, except your missing any enchant on your weapon.
I'm going to assume you just got it, so don't forget to enchant it. I honestly can't and won't tell you to put an int enchant on to blue bracers.

One of the biggest points of contention with your gear I have is that You aren't at a haste breakpoint (I believe someone else said this as well earlier). You should be shooting for the 3145 haste break point with your current haste. This might be a bit more in depth than what you want currently but Dayani over at healiocentric.wordpress.com has a great post that examines the relationship between haste and renewing mist.

Quite possibly the most important thing I'm going to iterate in this post is that healing is a team sport, and there is a maximum HPS cap that all the healers in the raid can add up to. In other words, say Mist and I go into a raid and the maximum hps that can be done is 100k. This means that we would only be able to do 100k hps combined. Keep practicing your healing and report back to us (practice practice practice).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
As far as nerves go, I'd just like to say, I think I can relate. I don't know enough about your class in particular to point anything out. But as one player to another:

I just started healing not too long ago, and I remember my first dungeon clearly. I remember my first LFR even more vividly. I was shaking from being so nervous. It was honestly, terrifying. It was MSV LFR, and I went in pretty blind. I had been healing dungeons which, when my boyfriend wasn't tanking-- was terrible. I would make a lot of mistakes and I was intimidated by how fast everyone moved through the dungeon.

That MSV lfr was a trainwreck. But you know, I lived through it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, it was a lot of fun.

You've been given some great advice in this thread. But apart from that:

This is just a game. Yes, you should always try to do your best, because it is a team sport. That being said, if you make a mistake, it's okay. We all make mistakes. The best thing you can do is own up to your mistakes and shortcomings and work to improve them.

It's a lot easier to get over someone causing a wipe due to fudging is up, and hearing them go "Sorry, I botched [insert mistake here], it won't happen again". Rather than not taking the blame, or worse, passing it onto someone else. The latter will make it such that you'll never improve as a player, let alone a healer.

Just take the time to improve your gamplay. You can't start out perfect, but you'll get better if you work at it.

Good luck.
Edited by Naér on 8/12/2013 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
MW must learn how to do aoe healing very well which mostly depend on the use of RM, UPLIFT, TFT, CHI BREW, CHI TORPEDO and REVIVAL.

Check this guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9309441389
I learn a lot from it.

Anyway, I hope Mist or Suplift (2 of them are the most popular and best MW in this forum) may write a guide for MW (I will ask for sticky if they write it). In monk forum, there are sticky posts for Brewmaster and Windwalker, but don hv any sticky post for MW.

I have checked other 5 healing class forum:
Only RShaman and MW don hv any sticky guide.
Edited by Xingling on 8/12/2013 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thank you all for the advise. Like I said, I have so much to learn.

I wanted to get into a healing situation that showed my inability and provided something where I could learn. The LFR was a good indicator and is just a tool to help me understand the class. I have a bunch of respeccing / enchanting / glyphing to do, the rest will be experience.

Thank you all again,

Sun
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Thank you all for the advise. Like I said, I have so much to learn.

I wanted to get into a healing situation that showed my inability and provided something where I could learn. The LFR was a good indicator and is just a tool to help me understand the class. I have a bunch of respeccing / enchanting / glyphing to do, the rest will be experience.

Thank you all again,

Sun

Well, a caveat - LFR really isn't good at showing anything about throughput healers. One Disc Priest - just one - can completely suppress you in there. There just isn't enough damage.
Reply Quote
Well, a caveat - LFR really isn't good at showing anything about throughput healers. One Disc Priest - just one - can completely suppress you in there. There just isn't enough damage.

Agreed. However, if you are scared and new to healing it's a very safe place to practice rotations and builds. At least I think so, having 5 other healers makes it feel safer. (unless it's monday and no one is safe)

Once you have a good grip on your spec, build and rotation, random bgs I think are great for learning how to react quickly and use some of your other spells/utility.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/12/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Oregano

Agreed. However, if you are scared and new to healing it's a very safe place to practice rotations and builds. At least I think so, having 5 other healers makes it feel safer. (unless it's monday and no one is safe)

Once you have a good grip on your spec, build and rotation, random bgs I think are great for learning how to react quickly and use some of your other spells/utility.

Agreed to both :)

I started healing on my monk at 90 since she was powerleveled, I did it through battlegrounds until I had the ilvl to jump right into LFR. LFR gave me a chance to play around with talents, glyphs, and to really learn my spell "rotation" and get used to things. Of course there's always the issue of sniping but it still can give you a pretty good idea of things, if anything at least the basics of the fight.

A disc priest can suppress healers even outside of LFR (smite all the things!) :P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Posting in a thread about me.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
So the title says it all.

With Cataclysm the Resto healing system seemed too frantic, so I switched to a different character.

I have never tried to heal as a Mistweaver before.

I don't raid on my MW (only 505ilvl) infact I barely play it.

But if Cata was too frantic for you on a Resto Druid, which was mindnumbingly boring, then I highly suspect that MW monk raiding will cause your head to explode.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
But if Cata was too frantic for you on a Resto Druid, which was mindnumbingly boring, then I highly suspect that MW monk raiding will cause your head to explode.

I didn't play in Cata so i'm not sure where he's coming from in terms of defining frantic. Once you understand how mistweavers work it really isn't frantic, just busy. At least in my mind, frantic is panicky target switching mashing buttons furiously, and the like. There are often fights where I only target 3 or 4 people over the course of it and almost never have any sort of panicked button mashing periods.

The thing with mistweavers is seeing the future damage coming and being ready when it hits. If you are good at looking ahead then it generally feels pretty smooth. Get your rm spread correctly, tft-uplift at the right time, churn up your chi then when the bang hits uplift to victory...

If you aren't so good at knowing what's coming then it can be less pleasant.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I think LFR's not a bad tool for healing practice. Sure, if you're in a halfway decent group, there won't be a lot to heal, but it's still good for practicing mechanics and timing. I for instance used LFR Maegara to practice my timing for getting Hand of Purity on tanks. I also use Ji-Kun to practice avoiding Caws even though they do no damage in LFR. As someone who learns by doing, I find them helpful.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
08/12/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Sarakatawen
I for instance used LFR Maegara to practice my timing for getting Hand of Purity on tanks.

LoL I went there to figure out why I kept getting stomped by the poison bombs on Meg. Turns out I had my particle density set too low. I reset my graphics to "recommended" and for the first time I could see the stupid things.

I want to second this thought. Random BGs are a great way to learn how to heal. Once you have your rotation down they break any tendency you may develop to tunnel heal and really help you figure out how to get the most out of your spec.

Edit: Removed the butchered idiom. We can't have hunters going crazy.
Edited by Prideth on 8/13/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just woke up
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Hunter
I reset my graphics to "recommended" and all the sudden

The idiom is "all of a sudden," not "all of the sudden."

and yes using them wrong drives me crazy..... so crazy I have to post about it and point out the correct way to say them.... that is all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
08/12/2013 11:42 PMPosted by Kneanderthal
I reset my graphics to "recommended" and all the sudden

The idiom is "all of a sudden," not "all of the sudden."

and yes using them wrong drives me crazy..... so crazy I have to post about it and point out the correct way to say them.... that is all.

For the sake of your own sanity, then, I would recommend that you avoid threads in the Healing forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]